Dating a Reel

Our Mitchell Museum gets many great questions we'll try to post here to help more than one person...
Kerry

Dating a Reel

Post by Kerry »

I need assistance dating a reel made by Mithcell. I have a Mitchell Rell I believe it to be among the first two versions but I am not seeing it in the dating section of this side. . (Description, Egg shell body, Screw on rear of body, No model number, back side of body has the "Made in France: and a 4 number serial number "1344" which appears to be hand stamped as it is not aligned in a straight manner). Can you help me with identifying when this may have been manufactured. I can send pictures if needed.

allansharkey

Re: Dating a Reel

Post by allansharkey »

Hi Kerry, bit confused by the description, is the 4 stamped on the foot, this is common with early half bail reels, is the number on the back of the reel or the foot, its too short to be useful either way, what is the screw on the back is it on the cover plate, as there are no screws on the back of the reel.

Early reels only have Mitchel engraved on the cover plate, other clues to age are inside the reel, i.e. types of gear, foundry marks, a photo helps, Allan

allansharkey

Post by allansharkey »

Kerry, I Just remembered, this site was destroyed twice a few years back, its founder Wallace Carney and most members are now on Facebook, but still on this sites home page is dating Mitchell reels by serial number (I still have one on the wall of my workshop and use it most days) Also a study of a first version egg shaped reel, worth reading and comparing your reel to the information, I am surprised but pleased its still there as I thought this site would be gone by now, Allan

GreatLaker

Post by GreatLaker »

Kerry, Welcome to the Mitchell Reel Museum forum. :text-welcomeconfetti:
It is very difficult to date a reel sight unseen. Not only did the reels' outward appearance change over time but there are many models. Please post a photo of your reel to help us identify it and we will do our best to help.
Kind Regards,
Bill