mitchell spool drag improvement

Discussions on How to Service Your Mitchell Reel and more...
Grahamwin

mitchell spool drag improvement

Post by Grahamwin »

The Mitchell 300/410 series of reel spools do not have the best drag/clutch system. Looking back at the different schematics for these reels different combination of washer have been used including fibre and Teflon drag washers have been tried, some at the base and some at the top of the spools.
Has anyone any recommendations or advice on improving the drag on Mitchell 300 size spools?
Regards Grahamwin

piscesman

Re: mitchell spool drag improvement

Post by piscesman »

I don't know how to improve drag unless you go from fiber to Teflon. Mitchell worked off the same basic design from the early years to the later years. Why do you want to improve it?? Problems with what you have? Can't compare them to the newer drag systems but the older reels will last you a lifetime. I only fish with Mitchells and Conolon poles. Good quality line and I'm happy. You need to set the drag before the line breakage point. Obviously. Ex: 2 years ago, I put brand new 8lb line on my 301 outfit. Hooked a monster. 20 minutes later thinking I caught my trophy walleye I boated a freshwater drum. No scale on boat but guaranteed exceeded 25lbs. NOW, I had set the drag after putting the fresh line on and brought in a fish 3 times the breakage point. A proper drag tension and working the fish provided positive results. Used #6 Gamagatsu circle hook and it held.
Kim

GreatLaker

Post by GreatLaker »

Grahamwin wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 1:35 pm Has anyone any recommendations or advice on improving the drag on Mitchell 300 size spools?
Regards Grahamwin
Grahamwin,
In your post of past Mitchell drag washers you don't mention the more recent Mitchell brand spools. These spools have "Carbon Graphite Spool" printed on the drag nut, some use white colored printing and some gold.
CarbonGraphiteSpool-newer.jpg
CarbonGraphiteSpool-newer.jpg (70.68 KiB) Viewed 558 times
(Note: this image was posted on the The Mitchell Reel Museum Forum on July 2, 2017)
This version spool uses a leather drag washer on a brass stamping. Have you ever hear of these or tried them?
Kind Regards,
Bill

allansharkey

Post by allansharkey »

Hi further to our enjoyable conversational, In the early seventies I had and used a Mitchell Match with a Robin Harris Match rod and 3x 300 reels with Sportex rods for carp fishing, both models had the same clutch mech and Teflon washer, I set them by pulling line out that only partly resisted, when playing a large fish I thumbed the spool to control the fish, as time progressed I changed the 300 reels, for the faster 400 reels, several reasons the anti reverse was silent, the gear ratio was faster, the handle longer with a faster retrieve and they looked good, in the last few years, I have changed my carp rods and reels to the more robust modern type, although the match and robin Harris rod is still a awesome combo for float fishing.

I restore Mitchell egg shaped reels as a hobby and try to keep both reel and spool as originally made, what is the best washer Teflon or fiber is impossible for me to say and like Mitchell I evolved over 50 years, regards Allan