600 SERIES MULTIPLIER

Our Mitchell Museum gets many great questions we'll try to post here to help more than one person...
kevin cozens

600 SERIES MULTIPLIER

Post by kevin cozens »

I have a 600 series multiplier with no name plate on it.
I am unable to find out what model it is.
What i do know is the gap between the inner side of the plates is 42mm and has a diameter of 72mm.
Each side plate has 2 chrome trims.
the spool is plastic.
My guess is a 602A or 602AP
Whats the difference between the two. I know the 602 only has a single chrome trim ring

piscesman

Re: 600 SERIES MULTIPLIER

Post by piscesman »

Welcome Kevin......... Not many people here collect or know about those type of Mitchell multiplying reels. Not an expensive reel and the side plates are prone to cracking. Good Luck in your search......
Kim

kevin cozens

Post by kevin cozens »

I have just purchased a Mitchell 606.
Apparently this is a rare model.
How do I tell what year it was made as it does not have a letter prefix before the serial number.
According to the model list if the reel was made between 1964 to 74 there were 33272 made
but if it was made between 84 & 85 only 625 were made?
Did they make the model between 74 & 84.
It is badged as a Garcia

GreatLaker

Post by GreatLaker »

kevin cozens wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:52 pm I have just purchased a Mitchell 606.
Apparently this is a rare model.
How do I tell what year it was made as it does not have a letter prefix before the serial number.
According to the model list if the reel was made between 1964 to 74 there were 33272 made
but if it was made between 84 & 85 only 625 were made?
Did they make the model between 74 & 84.
It is badged as a Garcia
kevin cozens,
The Mitchell 606 was a saltwater boat and trolling reel. As Kim pointed out last year not many folks on here share your interest in this type of reel as we are mainly looking at the famous spinning reels. I do not know where collectors that are interested in this type of reel are located but there must be someone somewhere on the internet.
Never-the-less, some of us do have a very limited amount of information we can share with you on your reel as we study the Mitchell company sometimes. I would like to point out that Mitchell, a French company, made all kinds of fishing reels including your reel. Garcia was a distributor of these reels in the USA and did not make reels. Mitchell, allowed Garcia to put their name on some of their (Mitchell made) reels to help with sales, marketing, and other reasons.
I am including an image of an advertisement of the Mitchell 606 from way back in 1965 which you may find interesting but that is about all I have. From the wording in the advertisement it sounds like that helps verify when these reels started production.
If you are interested let me know and I will see if I have a schematic of the 606 but I will have to dig deep to find it. Also, I do not know how to identify what year your reel was made or much about their serial numbering. Our section on dating reels is for Mitchell 300 spinning reels and is not meant for saltwater boat and trolling reels. (I am amazed that the MRM reel list even included your reel but our founder, Wallace Carney, has a vast knowledge of all things Mitchell.)

Hopefully someone else who knows more can add to what I have shared.
Kind Regards,
Bill
Mitchell 606 Not Spinning-saltwater-edited.jpg
Mitchell 606 Not Spinning-saltwater-edited.jpg (248.34 KiB) Viewed 1147 times

Rockape

Post by Rockape »

I haven't had the chance to measure it yet, but this is my 602A
Attachments
20240214_003627.jpg
20240214_003627.jpg (382.25 KiB) Viewed 1139 times