Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:11 pm

Page 1 of 1   [ 29 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:28 am • #  
Administrator

Hello Mates,

Here's another Mitchell series favored by copiers in the fifties. The An-Glo made in Japan with inverted cover plate?

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

The good news about these is the quality of workmanship, gearing and all, is not even close to the original. Though similar, none of the parts are original Mitchell that I could find. Even the spool spindle shaft is a different diameter creating a different spool, drags and so forth. When cranking it sounds like a pepper grinder. Still things we must know to preserve authentic Mitchell reels.

Best Regards,
Wallace

Like Using This Site? Please Support Us By Clicking The Link Below

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 4:13 am • #  

hello wallace and everybodi
i send some pictures of the paint 62(302)
i have open the reel and the interior is nice the pignons are in bronze and he runs smooth i say maby more smeeth then a 302
now you have to see what happen in continual use in sea fisching whath wil happen ????????
cheers
johnny decorte france

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 4:16 am • #  

hello i forghet the pictures

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 4:22 am • #  

pictures 302Image

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:28 am • #  
Administrator

Hello Johnny,

I am sorry I failed to see these pictures you posted. Thank you for sharing them with us.

Best Regards,
Wallace

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:07 pm • #  

Hello Wallace,
Thanks for posting the pics of the an-Glo. I'm interested in the Paint that Zenair posted. I have not seen this one before. I'd be very interested in acquiring one. The only reels, besides the An-Glo I have are two different Argus 302 look-a-likes. The first one came to me from Indonesia with the pictured pouch. It ahs JAPAN embossed on the foot.

The second one is like it in every respect except the foot is void of any markings and JAPAN is marked on the trip tab as shown. I think every 302 collection should have an example of a 302 look-a-like just to show the importance of Mithell around the world.

Randy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:48 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hello Randy, welcome aboard
Thanks for the pictures mate, I had not seen the Argus, as you rightly say all these look-a-likes show how important Mitchell were in the world of fishing.

The Japanese were introducing many products around this time and in some cases, motor cycles come to mind, they were making radical improvements.
I note with interest that they didn't change much here, hard to improve on I guess.

Kind regards Roy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:24 pm • #  
Administrator

Hi Randy,
Let me stir the pot up a little Image

I know the Mitchell Salt Water was not an original design of Carpano & Pons but was sold to them for research and development. From who I don't know.

What are your thoughts on this mate?

On another note, you can contact Johnny (ZENAIR7010) through "interact" and see if that reel is for sale.

Best Regards,
Wallace

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:33 pm • #  

Wallace, Interesting that the original 302 design was not neccessarily a Mitchell product. I can see how the design may have been sold (or Licensed) throughout the world as well as to Mitchell. Of course Mitchell would have produced the best product as they were firmly in the reel business, but the Japan copies are very faithful to the design and operation, although the materials and manufacturing methods they used may not have been up to par. For instance, the anti reverse mechanism on the Argus pictured above without the Japan embossed on the foot is made of cheap plastic pressed on a knurled shaft - it couldn't possibly work more than a few times. Point is, Mitchell made the best product which Europeans and Americans recognized and are responsible for making Mitchell famous for quality reels. You can "feel" Mitchell quality compared to a look-a-like when you pick them up, like the bail wire plating - feels like nickel instead of chrome, the plastic spools look very similar but you can tell a differnce. All in all the look-a-likes are good usable reels and probably sold for a lot less money than a Mitchell - may still be true today. I do believe that Mitchell brought the Salt Water to market first as I have yet to see a half bail look-a-like although I know the Japanese produced 300 look-a-likes with half bails as I have a green International 100 as you pictured elsewhere here on the forum. Thank you, Wallace for stirring the pot and getting us to think about - or at least speculate - as to the origins of the world. Randy Image

Last edited by rng1966 on Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:43 am • #  
Administrator

Hi Randy,

Sorry for the late reply, too many things happening!

I agree with every word you say. I only know the "original" design, prototype, concept (or whatever) was bought and perfected by Carpano et Pons as the Mitchell Salt Water reel we know and love. The question is why did they allow these look-a-likes that competed with them but clearly not up to Mitchell standards? Also; what about them knowing these "302" look-a-likes were being made in Japan but at the same time original Mitchell reels were being exported there? Now I have a headache!

Best Regards,
Wallace

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:57 am • #  

My collecting interests have taken me to many other areas besides Mitchell reels. In addition to Mitchell reels, especially 300 and 302's, I collect Ruger Firearms, Sheridan pellet guns and Fender Bass guitars. During the late 70's there was a lawsuit made by the parent company of Gibson against Ibanez for copying the Gibson headstock design. Many people believe that the lawsuit involved Fender against the Japanese manufactures because the original company which Ibanez evolved into was a Japanese manufacturer who produced look a like guitars for a guitar store in Pennsylvannia. Many Japanese companies produced look a like guitars of Gibson, Fender, Gretsch and others and some, especially Greco, made some very high quality guitars. Even before the lawsuit was settled Ibanez changed the design of their headstock and Greco stopped making high quality clones of Gibson guitars by 1988.

Back to Mitchell Look-a-Likes- during the 1950's and '60's there had been no lawsuits that would have prevented Japanese manufacturers from copying any design and marketing it around the world. In fact, as us "older folks" remember, we made fun of the Japanese crap that was sold in the U.S.A.!! Now it's the Chinese flooding the market with import merchandise. Unless Carpono et Pons actually sued a japanese manufacturer for copying its design it is doubtful they would have stopped producing items until the pressure of "cease and desist" caught up to them. Therefore, instead of Carpno et Pons licensing and condoning the manufacturer of 302 type reels, I think the design was merely copied and sold in other parts of the world with relitive impunity. As in the case with the guitars, there were very cheap and junky copies and there were some very high quality copies made. I think the 302 Look-A-Likes I have seen very closely follow the design but not nessecarily the quality of materials used and they usually renamed them and marked them "JAPAN" in some way.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:22 am • #  
Global Moderator

Hello Randy
An interesting post my friend, thanks.
I didn't realise that all that went on in the world of guitars and firearms back in the 60's, too busy chasing girls I guess Image
However I do remember very well making fun of the cheap Japanese items sold here in the UK.

Kind regards Roy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:46 pm • #  

Here is another 302 Look-A-Like I found recently, called "Star-Lite". It appears to be the same reel as the An-Glo and Argus except "Made in Japan" is stamped on the trip tab. I wonder how many other names we will add to these.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:37 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hi Randy
Nice find mate, thanks for showing the pictures.
Yes it will be interesting to see how many more names are out there.

Kind regards Roy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:41 pm • #  
Administrator

Hi Randy,

Thanks for sharing mate, I find this interesting!

Best Regards,
Wallace

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:32 am • #  

Roy Allett wrote:
Hello Randy
An interesting post my friend, thanks.
I didn't realise that all that went on in the world of guitars and firearms back in the 60's, too busy chasing girls I guess Image
However I do remember very well making fun of the cheap Japanese items sold here in the UK.

Kind regards Roy
Hello Roy,

Pleased to meet you at the London conference.

Regarding the Japanese copies. The Japanese allegedly copied many types of manufactured Western goods. They also improved them and did what a decent manufacturer should have been doing, spending time and money on R&D. This is among the many reasons that there is no longer a firm manufacturing base in the UK. Everyone use to laugh about copies maybe even the French, thats why Mitchells are manufactured in China.

Best regards, Jim

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:03 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hi Jim
It was really good to meet you too mate, it was a day to remember.

If we could turn the clock back 60 years things could perhaps be done differently, wonderful thing hindsight isn't it.

Kind regards Roy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:00 am • #  

Hello,
Another copy Made in Japan : the "Try Lon"

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:01 am • #  
Administrator

Hi Tirtou,

Another interesting find! Thank you for sharing. It's still mysterious to me.

Regards, Wallace

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:00 pm • #  

Thanks tirtou, very interesting! So now we know of Paint 67, Argus, An Glo, Star-Lite and Trylon copies of the 302. Keep looking!!!

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 7:26 am • #  

Here is another one - a Spin Lite made in Japan copy. I was glad to get this as I haven't heard of it before. Interesting how they etched the arrow so you would know which way to turn the anti reverse lever! (which doesn't work). Also interesting about this one is there is no roller bearing on the main shaft. (a cost cutting effort). Spin Lite name is upside down. They can copy anything!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:03 pm • #  

Hi Folks, It's been a while since this posting and things have been slow. Nobody has a Look-A-Like to add? This doesn't really surprise me since it's probably been 30-40 years since these reels were made and they have been mostly used into oblivion by now. Every once in awhile something will pop up out of nowhere, or in this case from somewhere. Thanks to our over worked and much appreciated host, Wallace, I now have another interesting piece to add to my collection and thus to this forum. Thanks Wallace! This is obviously a cover plate for another yet unknown 302 copy - LaFayette. If anyone has the whole reel please chime in. Note that the writing will be up side down when mounted on a right hand (left crank) reel as are the An-Glo and Spin-Lite. All of these reels seem to have a similar "script" font, making me think they were produced by the same manufacturer, in Japan, I'm guessing for different distributors or retail outlets. I hope others find these as interesting as I do. Comments Welcome!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:04 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hi Randy

I find this topic very interesting as I'm sure many other do.
I just wish I could contribute something constructive, perhaps one day I'll find something.

Kind regards Roy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:43 pm • #  

I have 1 to add to it. Bought a " AFI Ocean #107". Looks identcal to the above. Possibly made by the same people with a different name etched on the side plate??? Raises some questions there.Also have the schematics on it. States " technical perfection" on the parts sheet. Hope this helps. Pictures may be coming as time permits. Daytona next week..........................
      Kim

Mitchell Fan Forever

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:13 am • #  

Hello Mates! I was fortunate enough this year to find this reel. I had been looking for quite some time! It's an AFI Ocean 302 Japan copy. I'm beginning to believe that one or two companies made all of the Japanese copies for various marketers/distributors. Most of the ones I have are very similar and there must be some out there I have never heard of. Your input is most welcome!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:43 pm • #  

It's very likely to be a coincidence but La Canne à Pêche was located in Angers at the Square Lafayette... see copy of invoice attached
Jean-Paul

rng1966 wrote:
Hi Folks, It's been a while since this posting and things have been slow. Nobody has a Look-A-Like to add? This doesn't really surprise me since it's probably been 30-40 years since these reels were made and they have been mostly used into oblivion by now. Every once in awhile something will pop up out of nowhere, or in this case from somewhere. Thanks to our over worked and much appreciated host, Wallace, I now have another interesting piece to add to my collection and thus to this forum. Thanks Wallace! This is obviously a cover plate for another yet unknown 302 copy - LaFayette. If anyone has the whole reel please chime in. Note that the writing will be up side down when mounted on a right hand (left crank) reel as are the An-Glo and Spin-Lite. All of these reels seem to have a similar "script" font, making me think they were produced by the same manufacturer, in Japan, I'm guessing for different distributors or retail outlets. I hope others find these as interesting as I do. Comments Welcome!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:06 am • #  

I have a Lafayette reel. I cannot find any information on the reel.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:04 am • #  

sharkman,
Lots of times with these Japanese look-a-likes there were no schematics seeing they were cheaply made compared to Mitchell. Some did have them but the box and papers were thrown out when the reel was mounted to the pole. Hope this helps.
Kim

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:12 pm • #  

Look at how long that handle is! I've never seen a whole reel before. Nice catch! Finding information on these old reels, especially Japan made, is the next thing to impossible.

Page 1 of 1   [ 29 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply