Using your Mitchells

Discussions On All Vintage Mitchell Reels...
geo.ulrich

Using your Mitchells

Post by geo.ulrich »

How many here use your Mitchells for fishing and what do you have and use. I'll start off I have a pre model 300 half bale on a old late 40's bamboo spinning rod, a couple off 309's (my favorite on 1970 vintage garcia ultra lite glass rods) and a 305 on another bamboo spinning rod others are a 409 not used now and my grandfathers 324 and 406 being a lefty I don't really use them....

toulady6

Re: Using your Mitchells

Post by toulady6 »

Hello,

My Mitchell 308/358 are always first choice for light spinning .
The 300 and 350 are used for carp fishing >

best regards, Dries

Bonaventure

Post by Bonaventure »

Hello Mitchell Mates, :banana-angel:

For fresh water, I only use Mitchells. I have 5 serviceable 300s, a 308 and a 304. I have been redoing beat 300s, giving them a paint job just to use them for fishing. I pick most of the 300s up at work. By the time I am finished, I should have a lifetime supply of general fishing reels. The other 2 are in original condition, they get light usage. If I can find a 302 (or a couple of them) I would probably use them for Salt Water.

Best wishes all.

Glen :twocents-02cents:

tholmes

Post by tholmes »

Greetings!
I have a few Mitchells that I use regularly - A 301 on a Garcia Conolon 6'6" med. action rod, a pair of 309s and a 411. One of the 309s is on a 6' BPS fiberglass ultralight, the other 309 and the 411 are on more modern graphite rods. I have two other 301s and a 409 that I don't fish with much.

Tom

Fishabout

Post by Fishabout »

I retired my 489 which was used so much they are tuff but I do use my 840 bronze light saltwater use love it. Cheers.

don309

Post by don309 »

I have about a dozen 308 - 204's, (1) 408, (2) 300's (2) 304's, (1) 330, (1) 406. All are user reels I switch spools on the UL reels and use them all. I use the 406 for saltwater. I build my own rods to the reels so I prefer to use them. Now I say about a dozen UL reels because I give 1-2, reels & rods to young anglers I see on the streams, that look interested in fishing. I also give them a little history (learned here) of the reel.

Not home retired and fishing! Or playing with my Mitchell's!
Bonaventure

Post by Bonaventure »

The guy here at work, Jarred, who takes my buddy Graham and I out in his boat for Mackerel, has tenants that are from Poland. They are a couple who have never fished, they lived in big cities in Europe. Jarred took them out last week after work one evening. they are HOOOOOOOOOKED :laughing-rolling:

Last fal, justl after they moved into Jarred's house, the husband saw that the garage door was open. Jarred was in there skinning a big Buck that he shot. Blew the guy's mind :text-lol:

We put Mackerel rigs with 3 to 6 feather and Sudiki hooks on the line, at the end we use a 2 ounce jig as the casting weight. We catch multiple fish 4, 5 or 6 at a time. When one fish hits, you leave it alone because his thrashing attracts other fish for multiple hookups. FUUUUUUUUUN :banana-angel:

Best wishes

Glen

scatfish

Post by scatfish »

geo.ulrich wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:47 pm How many here use your Mitchells for fishing and what do you have and use. I'll start off I have a pre model 300 half bale on a old late 40's bamboo spinning rod, a couple off 309's (my favorite on 1970 vintage garcia ultra lite glass rods) and a 305 on another bamboo spinning rod others are a 409 not used now and my grandfathers 324 and 406 being a lefty I don't really use them....
I hope I am not posting wrong as I am new at this but I have 308 and 300 and 304. My question is what is good or correct way to paint and what is correct way to get ready to paint and what is correct paint. Sorry to all if my question is in wrong place.

don309

Post by don309 »

scatfish, I sent you a PM

geo.ulrich

Post by geo.ulrich »

scatfish wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:17 pm
geo.ulrich wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:47 pm How many here use your Mitchells for fishing and what do you have and use. I'll start off I have a pre model 300 half bale on a old late 40's bamboo spinning rod, a couple off 309's (my favorite on 1970 vintage garcia ultra lite glass rods) and a 305 on another bamboo spinning rod others are a 409 not used now and my grandfathers 324 and 406 being a lefty I don't really use them....
I hope I am not posting wrong as I am new at this but I have 308 and 300 and 304. My question is what is good or correct way to paint and what is correct way to get ready to paint and what is correct paint. Sorry to all if my question is in wrong place.
I'm new also, can't help you with paint ones from my grandfather are as new the one 309 of mine has seen lets say some use .... :text-welcomeconfetti:

Schrack

Post by Schrack »

If it is on the rack gets used. (300's)
After I clean them, put them on a rod and try them out.
All Reels I have sold function fine and have caught at least one fish.
The exception are the 302's have not been salt water fishing yet.
Live a 3 miles from Del. Bay and 30 Miles from Ocean.
Have about 10 I have done.
Would part with all them.

don309

Post by don309 »

Schrack, what state? I go to Delaware state park campgrounds a few times a year.
As for paint I strip the reel of all paint. I was using a 6" soft wire brush on a table grinder. Last reel I saved I removed the paint with a commercial (not sold to the public). Than buff it with a buffing wheel also on the grinder. I generally use dupli-color car paint, I save reels not restore them. I than use Max 2K glamour clear coat.
The camo 308 I did with an air brush, Wicked colors multi-color paint. again the 2K clear coat.
All these reels have held up to some rough use.

Schrack

Post by Schrack »

Dover, De. Been here since 74, Retired from A.F. in 2002, 39 yrs. 5 Mon. 13 Days.
I just can not get into Salt Water Fishing.
This morn got a 24" Channel Cat. Tried out a new ( used) Reel.worked great.
I estimate weight around 8#, it's back in the water. Can not kill em.

shootrj2003

Post by shootrj2003 »

I use mine fairly regularly,mostly catfish in,to me they are just as good as any other reel,but I’m no perfectionist,I only require that the reel gets my bait or lure out there and brings it back in,hopefully with something attached , my wife has bought me 2Pfluegers and they are wonderful but I do love :D my Mitchell’s,I also have a weakness for old Penn baitcasters but kinda can’t operate them, they mostly just look cool,so again my Mitchell’s are great,they don’t argue or fight with me and work every time and like an old Chevy four speed tranny they pull.love them. :lol:

shootrj2003

Post by shootrj2003 »

When I have to paint a black one,( there are other colors some don’t know this)I take off any corrosion of course,but leave solid paint alone just scuff it up a little and I prefer to use a paint called Alumablack from Brownells Gunsmith supply’s, or satin black engine enamel and bake it in the oven( while the wife is busy elsewhere) if you get caught promise to never do it again,it’s the best I can offer,I’m a simple man!

yellowthroat

Post by yellowthroat »

One 308, one 308A. Have used both for many years. One on an old 5' Heddon Golden Mark 50 ultralight rod for more than a few white bass. More fun than I deserve!

Crappie54

Post by Crappie54 »

I use a 308A, a 408, and a 1955 CAP 304 for crappie. Bought the CAP and matching rod for a buck at a garage sale. Also use a pair of early 300 reels as well as a 300C. Soon as I fix the bail issue on my 300A it'll be put on a rod and used too.

tholmes

Post by tholmes »

I have 4 301s, 2 309s, a 409 and a 411 that I have fished with. I don't take them out every time I go, but they all get used.

Tom