Chrome

Discussions on How to Service Your Mitchell Reel and more...
don309

Chrome

Post by don309 »

Has anyone tried re-chrome any parts like handles or bails?

Not home retired and fishing! Or playing with my Mitchell's!
shootrj2003

Re: Chrome

Post by shootrj2003 »

I thought about it,you would have to unchrome them ,polish,and rechrome this is based on my own thoughts on chrominance,limited knowledge at best,I also think ,it would not be an extravagant layout to do small parts at home,a learning curve is neccesary.

Baron2

Post by Baron2 »

Don, funny to see this post. Just yesterday I put a request in to a business advertising this. haven't heard back yet but I'll let you know the results.

allansharkey

Post by allansharkey »

I did try a home chrome kit for bail arms a complete failure I sent it back for a refund. I have had lots of motorbike parts re-chromed which was an expensive job, bail arms or parts would have to be acid dipped to clean, polished and then nickel plated, threaded holes blocked and then chromed, I often thought about getting a batch quoted but dismissed the idea as probably too expensive, although as NOS bail arms get more scarce and hard to find this may get more viable or just a labour of love by a Mitchell loving chrome company owner or employee.

Baron2

Post by Baron2 »

The particular guy that wrote me back quoted 50-75 dollars with no batch discount. A bit pricey for this user (I'm not so much a collector). I had hoped that sending 50 or 100 at a time would provide some relief on the each price. No Cigar!
He said he was pretty sure that the screws holding the bails are nickel/stainless and could just be polished. Maybe I was trying too hard. But I think that some of the reason these fine reels are passed over is the lack of gleam. I don't care as I want function. but if gleam and glitter can be had for and affordable price then why not.

don309

Post by don309 »

Re-chroming is out of the question for me! So I think I'll experiment will be, to wet sand and buff an old bail wire. And clear coat the wire, all but the line guide.

Bonanza

Post by Bonanza »

Back when I was restoring old 60’s cars the process to re-chrome was to strip down to bare steel, nickel plate copper flashing and the chrome plate. It is a pretty expensive process. There might be better ways to end up at same finished product

don309

Post by don309 »

I'm now thinking mirror chrome air brushing, and clear coat.

Baron2

Post by Baron2 »

It will be nice if someone finds a way to do this affordably.