mitchell 320 bail trip issue

Discussions on How to Service Your Mitchell Reel and more...
yozuri54

mitchell 320 bail trip issue

Post by yozuri54 »

I have acquired a pristine GM 320, did a complete teardown, clean and service. All internals looked good and the gears are smooth. But when I got the reel the bail trip mechanism was not working properly and I thought routine service would clear that up - it did not. The symptom is when cranking there is a "hitch" at the same spot that can be felt. I traced it to a dragging bail trip mechanism. I suspect either a bent bail or a factory defect. Attaching pictures. Note: If the bail trip lever could be depressed another 1/4" by the bail, it could clear up the issue. If someone who has this reel, could take a similar angled pictures, maybe I could see where the issue is.
Thanks in advance, John
Attachments
320b.jpg
320b.jpg (317.67 KiB) Viewed 1098 times
320c.jpg
320c.jpg (251.26 KiB) Viewed 1098 times
320a.jpg
320a.jpg (270.25 KiB) Viewed 1098 times

don309

Re: mitchell 320 bail trip issue

Post by don309 »

yozuri54, I thought you'd get an answer here. That's why I told you to come here. Hang in there, someone will come along. But I do think you need a bail wire, that looks bent way out of wack. Come on mates help my friend out :text-feedback:

Not home retired and fishing! Or playing with my Mitchell's!
Simplex

Post by Simplex »

Hello,

Looking at the photo, I have the impression that the PU is not fully depressed because we can see the sprires of the spring.
Are you sure the spring is properly mounted?
The part of the PU seems correct to me, it is not straight from the origin
Is this an old version or a new PU?
When I have the answer, I will upload the exploded view of this part of the reel, so you can see all the necessary parts.
Best regards.
CL

yozuri54

Post by yozuri54 »

Looking at the photo, I have the impression that the PU is not fully depressed because we can see the sprires of the spring.
Are you sure the spring is properly mounted?
The part of the PU seems correct to me, it is not straight from the origin
Is this an old version or a new PU?
When I have the answer, I will upload the exploded view of this part of the reel, so you can see all the necessary parts.
Best regards.
CL

Couple things...

I did not have the bail spring fully seated or compressed, so that is corrected now.
As this is the only 320 I have ever worked on, I am not familiar with old/new versions of PU.
I have an explosion diagram for reference, but thanks for offering.
Now the reel spins freely and the bail open and closes freely, but the trip lever will not spring to the detent hole in bail – appears to be stuck. I took it apart once again and now it seems that the thin metal bail trip guard is pressing too tightly against the trip lever, preventing it from sliding up/down. But as soon as I loosen the rotor nut and take pressure off of it, it moves freely. I tried installing it both ways and oiling it as well – same issue. Double checked my assembly to make sure all washers and other parts are in the correct location. I suppose the next step is to shotgun the repair with new bail, bail spring, bail trip and bail trip spring….but this reel is not a 300 and I wonder if it is worth the time and money to fix….I think I have more hours in this reel than the last 10 reels I repaired and serviced!

yozuri54

Post by yozuri54 »

UPDATE:

I played around some more with the reel and tried the following (based on a suggestion). I totally removed the bail trip cover and the reel operated perfectly! I was concerned the bail trip lever would work it's way out and cause a jam. As a precaution and as a way to keep track of the part, I installed it at an angle. It is now positioned in a manner that allows it to work and offers some protection of the bail trip lever coming out. See attached photo:
Attachments
gm320-fbniswzo6o_v_1628295433.jpg
gm320-fbniswzo6o_v_1628295433.jpg (137.58 KiB) Viewed 1002 times

yozuri54

Post by yozuri54 »

Yet another update on the GM 340 bail trip issue...
Took the above modified reel to the lake and it failed after about 3 casts. Took it apart once again, but this time I used 3 grades of sandpaper (150, 300, 600) and micro polished the face of the bail trip lever and the bail trip cover. Lightly oiled both surfaces and put the reel back together as per diagram. Seems to work really well now! :banana-blonde: