Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Giddy as a school buy
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 11:16 am • #  

Hi all just found the site and forum last night.My name is Shawn and I live in Pa here in the States.Begin rant hahaha...When I was a young man my Father handed down to me 2 old Garcia Mitchell reels,models 300 and 308.These also came with 2 very old school Fenwick rods.1 ultralight for trout and the like and 1 medium action for bass/catfish and the like.Back then some 25 or so years ago I thought it was the best day ever.See I always tried to use Dads old rods and reels anyway,they seemed way better than any of the stuff I had.Well just recently I decided after a 15 or so year break from it I was going to take back up fishing.I called Dad and arranged to come over and pick up whatever fishing gear I still had at home.Boy I dont recall having so much but...the best part was...there they were stuffed in the back of everything,Dads/my 2 old Mitchells on Fenwicks.I was as the title states,Giddy as a school boy.My stuff was all kept indoors away from moisture and temperature extremes so they survived quite well aside of years of dust and some spider webs to clean off,and some new line to be put on..I just tore down ,cleaned up and lubed the 300 last night and man what a feeling having that old relic back in my hands and working just as well as it did all those years ago.I can hardly wait to go get a line wet with it.The 308 is next,I do however have to order a new handle and drag tension washer for it...unsure what ever happened to them but its a cheap and easy fix.Man I couldnt be happier,these reels were the best 25 years ago when Dad gave them to me and ya know what...fast forward 25 years and they are still the best hahaha.I wonder if anyone can decipher the serial #s on these for me.The 300 has a # 5338122 on the underside of the leg in the hollow where the rod sits and the 308 has france in the same place as well as the back side of where the spool site says France 5 patent2  726052 made in France...there doesnt appear to be any actual serial # unless it is the 726052.Any info anyone can give me on these 2 would be awesome.Ok well Im hooked again...Im a Mitchell man hahaha...Shawn

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:20 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hi Shaun

Thats a great story mate, thanks for sharing it with us.
I am sure you will really enjoy using those reels again, I wonder, is there any chance of your Father going with you?
Whatever I look forward to hearing all about it one day.

Thanks to Wallace's study the 300 is easy to date, 1963.

The numbers on the rotating head of your 308 are not a serial number, there will be one on the foot but it may be very faint.

Thanks again for joining in here, you are very welcome here, as indeed are all Mitchell Men.Image

Kind regards Roy

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 5:38 pm • #  

Yes I will be joining Dad on the trout stream next spring.Dad isnt into bass or catfishing like myself so it will just be the kids and me.2 of my 3 love fishing,Dad has had them out every trout season since they were old enough to hold a rod.1963 huh...so the reel is 7 years older than me,thats pretty cool.I looked again and your spot on,there is some type of # on the underside of the foot of the 308.Unfortunately it is so faint I am unable to make heads or tails of it.It wasnt even visible at all until I gave it a real good cleaning.Wife has better eye for small detail type stuff so I will have her take a look at it when I get the chance.Im pretty sure it is a bit newer than the 300,it has the different switch on it...not the chevron I think its called but simply a switch.

You know its funny...I always felt the Mitchell reels were really something special.Thing was I figured they were only special to me because they were my Dads.I guess that is still sort of true in a sense but I now see that they really are special all on their own.I mean look at this place,a veritable shrine to these reels...btw I was looking at the topic about displaying reels and other fishing gear...fantastic,absolutely fantastic.The time and meticulous detail folks go to in displaying them is just incredible to me.Thanks for the warm welcome and thanks for helping to put an age on the 300 for me.Funny,I always said that reel was around as far back as I could remember.Mom has a large photo of me and Dad standing together on the edge of a lake,Dad holding that very 300 attached to that very same beautiful old school Fenwick.Memories,I think thats what Mitchell really stands for for me.Memories that will last a lifetime,and a reel that will most likely outlast me.Shawn

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 12:33 am • #  
Global Moderator

Hi Shaun

The serial number for the 308 will help to tie it down a little but even with the number I can’t be accurate to the year. We have other members with better knowledge than I on these reels and looking here might also help you.

http://www.mitchellreels.net/index.php? ... &Itemid=72

It’s good to know that your Dad is still getting out there and catching a few and the kids too, that’s wonderful. It will be interesting to see if they will feel the same way about Mitchell reels in the years to come.

As you so rightly say the fact that they were “Dad’s Reels” does play a large part in this for many people. For some it’s a case of going back to the reels they bought as young men and later discarded in favour of more “modern” equipment.

For others, myself included, Mitchell was a childhood dream that never happened but as a kid I promised myself that I would own a Mitchell one day.

Yes there are some wonderful collections out there and as you say it’s great to see some of them so beautifully displayed.

A “shrine” you say, I hadn’t looked at it quite like that, perhaps your right but whatever it’s great that so many people come together on this forum to share their information, their pictures and of course their stories.

Thanks again mate and keep up the good work.

Kind regards Roy

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 1:19 pm • #  

Well...let the collecting begin.Was at a local flea markey type place this morning and picked up a nice 300a.Only issue is with the bail,the bail wire itself is slightly rusty and the return spring is not working properly but aside from that it operates[spins]very nicely and the body is in superb shape,actually not a nick on it.Sure wish I understood the spring setup on these a bit more.Either the circular one or the one that works the small switch that locks the bail open are not working or wound properly.Unfortunately Im not even sure where to take it for service as the reel business has become one of throw aways.You buy a reel at Walmart and when it breaks you throw it out and go buy a new one.Maybe dad remembers some spring servicing tricks from years back.Shawn

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 4:14 pm • #  

outlawmobile wrote:
Well...let the collecting begin.Was at a local flea markey type place this morning and picked up a nice 300a.Only issue is with the bail,the bail wire itself is slightly rusty and the return spring is not working properly but aside from that it operates[spins]very nicely and the body is in superb shape,actually not a nick on it.Sure wish I understood the spring setup on these a bit more.Either the circular one or the one that works the small switch that locks the bail open are not working or wound properly.Unfortunately Im not even sure where to take it for service as the reel business has become one of throw aways.You buy a reel at Walmart and when it breaks you throw it out and go buy a new one.Maybe dad remembers some spring servicing tricks from years back.Shawn
Well figured it out...I was just going about putting it back together wrong.The 300a does not have the tiny hole that the spring threads into so it made it a little bit more difficult to figure out but I got it.She works like a champ and spins like a dream after being taken apart and being cleaned and lubed .I was even able to remove most of the rust on the bail wire,it was really just light surface stuff and nearly all of it came off with just a regular old dish scrubby.1981...thats the year as per the one thread I found on here referring to serial #s sooo its not quite the relic as my other 300 but very nice and I like it just fine.Shawn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:39 am • #  
Global Moderator

Well done Shaun, thats another one back in working order

Kind regards Roy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:20 am • #  

Well found a very nice cond. old school Berkley CherryWood rod to pair up with the new (to me ) 300a.They look wonderful together...like a match made in heaven.picked it up at the same flea market where I found the 300a.
Mitchell 300a...$10.00
Berkley CherryWood...$7.00
time invested to clean them both up and do a little maintenance...about 1 hour
A beautiful classic fishing combo i will enjoy for the rest of my life...Priceless...Shawn

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply