Mitchell 401

Our Mitchell Museum gets many great questions we'll try to post here to help more than one person...
davidchapman

Mitchell 401

Post by davidchapman »

I have only today registered, so forgive me if I am asking a previous asked question. Would someone be kind enough to tell me why the Mitchell 401 I have has a label marked "SPECIAL" on the side plate. Thank you.

toulady6

Re: Mitchell 401

Post by toulady6 »

Hi

Welcome to the Mitchell forum.
The Mitchell 401 that you have is a European release and they had the Special sticker on them .
These reels were sold in ;France , Belgium, Netherlands and Germany and sometimes to the U.K and Italy .
The Mitchell 401 for North America and many other countries had a Garcia sticker on them .

best regards

Dries

davidchapman

Post by davidchapman »

Hi toulady6
Thank you for that information. All together I have a collection some near mint others very good and some good to use a total of 57 These include
Various 300/301including A models---400/401-- 410/411 including A models. I am 74 years old and some of the 300 and 400 I have had since about 11 or 12 years of age. I never get rid of any of my reels and rods when I buy new items and also own 22 split cane rods, mostly Carp and Barbel rods and I have all the modern type rods and baitrunner style reels

GreatLaker

Post by GreatLaker »

davidchapman, :text-welcomeconfetti: Welcome to the Mitchell Reel Museum Forum!

We will be looking forward to your input, sounds like a good collection.

Kind Regards,
Bill

davidchapman

Post by davidchapman »

Hi. Is it possible to get a red rubber bail stop for my early Mitchell 4-0-1 reel ? It fits the bail arm where the stop hits on top of the bail trip lever.
Thank you :D
I have added a question to this post. How do I add photos (if possible) to my enquiry ?

don309

Post by don309 »

davidchapman, Go to the board index, Group instructions, how to post pictures. Wallace explains how he does it. And I do the same the way I do it in 2 posts.

Not home retired and fishing! Or playing with my Mitchell's!
piscesman

Post by piscesman »

david, those bail bumpers are very scarce. Came in red and black colors. I remember someone was selling them but can't place where. Maybe EB? Only seen a handful in years of collecting. Good Luck in your search.
Kim

Bailarm

Post by Bailarm »

piscesman wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:01 am david, those bail bumpers are very scarce. Came in red and black colors. I remember someone was selling them but can't place where. Maybe EB? Only seen a handful in years of collecting. Good Luck in your search.
Kim
I had no idea the first version $00/401 bail bumper came in black!

}<)))'> Bailarm
piscesman

Post by piscesman »

Nobby, I didn't mean the 400's came with a black bumper. My fault if misunderstood. Another reel had a black bumper. I know the 406/407 had a black band for the bail to keep it quiet when closing. I'll have to dig into my service manuals to find what reels had those bumpers. Thanks.
Kim

Bailarm

Post by Bailarm »

Ah got you, Kim
#

I have now found a complete NOS bail arm assembly for David. And the bumper isn't perished!

}<)))'> Bailarm
piscesman

Post by piscesman »

I didn't know the bail assemblies came with bumpers???
Kim