Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:51 pm

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:26 pm • #  

Hi Mates,

Been a while....Took a break from the Forum but still picked up some very nice Mitchells in the meantime and bought this thing as well. It's a "round body" --- Couldn't resist :sHa_biggrin:
This is a Scotchline 750, made in Japan in the mid to late 1950s according to the late Ben Wright.
Attachment:
Scotchline 750.jpg

Attachment:
Scotchline 750 1.jpg

Attachment:
Scotchline 750 2.jpg

I initially thought this reel was the size of the 304/314/340 judging from the photos advertised. WOW! Was I wrong! This thing has a rotor cup the size of a 302 :sFun_shocked: It's in very nice condition with only some minor corrosion spots on the spool. This reel is unbelievably smooth and well balanced - as much as I hate to say it....On par with my NIB Mitchell 302s :sCh_taz:. More to follow.

Chris

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:40 pm • #  

Continued Mates,

This reel appeared to have the original grease in it when I started disassembly. Which makes it even more impressive as to how smooth it operated.
Attachment:
Scotchline 750 3.jpg

This is a very well made reel with many similarities that could be attributed to Mitchell, though I can't say for sure that it is a direct copy.
Attachment:
Scotchline 750 4.jpg

Attachment:
Scotchline 750 5.jpg

I was also surprised that there were no shims in it, either above or below the rotor. Now that it's cleaned and lubed, it's actually a very nice reel. This is the first Japanese Mitchell like reel I've ever bought (and while I don't see myself as a collector) I'm really impressed with the quality of this reel. As always, questions and comments are always welcome.

Regards,
Chris

P.S. Real Mitchells to follow :tup

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:33 pm • #  

Chris,
Welcome back. :sBo_bounce2: We have all missed your great posts and updates from the 'Reel Room'!
Thanks for sharing photos and comments about the Scotchline 750, first time I have ever seen one, and a very interesting reel. :clap
Hope you can stay with us.
Kind Regards,
Bill :tup

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:32 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Chris,
Like Bill, I'm glad to see your post!
I have never seen a Japanese round body like that Scotchline before, and I would have been a bit surprised with the size of it, too.

Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:05 pm • #  

Hi Chris, Welcome back . There hasn't been much banter on the forum lately , maybe because of the problems with the site. What I wanted to ask about that reel is , does it have a strait in and out sort of like a level wind or is it planamatic like the CAP reels are. I see that odd piece to the rear with teeth on but it's hard to figure out. The Japanese were of course great at making copies of yankee injunuity. Best regards, John in Pa. :sCh_fisherman:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:18 pm • #  

Looks to me, to have a resemblance to a Luxor reel, another great French reel.

G. Glen Simpson

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:27 pm • #  

Hi Mates,

Thank you for the kind "Welcome Back" and comments. John in PA, the action of the reel is Crosswind which is interesting based on the complex gearing. Here is a comparison of a Mitchell 302, the Scotchline 750 and a Mitchell 304.
Attachment:
Scotchline Comparison.jpg

That Scotchline is a big "round body"!

Kind Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:42 pm • #  

Largest round body I've seen...looks pretty well put together...here is a link to a 300 Scotchline..

Sandman

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Scotchlin ... Sw6nZdcsq9

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:49 pm • #  

Hi Sandman,

The largest I've ever seen as well! I had no idea when I bought it. Thanks for the link to the Scotchline reel …….. Just what I need, start another collection line :sFun_bricks: :sHa_biggrin: .

Kind Regards,
Chris

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply