Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:35 am • #  

Part 81-002 on the schematics. The thing that looks like the adapter to play 45s on a turntable.

Mine is rusted to the point of falling apart. I didn't clean it quickly after a trip to the coast. I had trouble adjusting the drag when I was out fishing. The drag was working at the time, but I wanted to adjust it a little lower and the knob wouldn't turn. Back at home, a little WD-40, patience and careful pressure paid off and I took the knob off to discover the problem. The brake spring almost disintegrated. So I need to replace it.

But here is the odd thing - I put a little rust preventer on the remaining "washer" (there is no spring to what's left) and put the knob back on. The drag is adjustable and works fine. I am not suggesting I just ignore it, but it makes me wonder what the point is of the arms when it doesn't seem to matter if they are there are not. I use 10# or heavier line on this reel, so the drag is pretty much always set to where it will flatten the spring.

So a couple of questions. First is where do I get a replacement?

The other is do i really need a matching part or just any reasonably correct sized thin spacer? What is the point of the part being like that versus a simple spacer?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:08 pm • #  
Global Moderator

carvedtones,
I can't recall this question coming up before, but I'll take a shot at it.
My guess is that the fingers keep the adjustment knob from backing off, and the drag working properly when it adjusted lighter than you keep yours. Since, you've stated that you would have it adjusted so tight that the fingers would be flattened anyway, it may not make a real difference.
Was there an actual either fiber, or Teflon washer between the brake spring and the spool? If there isn't, there may be eventual damage to the plastic spool parts.
Maybe, one of the other mates has tried using a "spacer".

Regards,
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:36 pm • #  

carvedtones,
Regarding part 81002 called a brake spring on a Mitchell 300 reel spool. You could also call it the drag brake spring. It may look like it is only one piece but actually it is two pieces. One part is the upper part with the spring arms you described. The other part is the piece that looks like a flat washer. The two halves are joined such that the bottom part can rotate separately from the top. The top with its arms is not meant to rotate.
Since I have already addressed where and how to get a replacement in your other post, I will skip that part of your question.
carvedtones wrote:
But here is the odd thing - I put a little rust preventer on the remaining "washer" (there is no spring to what's left) and put the knob back on. The drag is adjustable and works fine. I am not suggesting I just ignore it, but it makes me wonder what the point is of the arms when it doesn't seem to matter if they are there are not. I use 10# or heavier line on this reel, so the drag is pretty much always set to where it will flatten the spring.

I think because you are looking at broken parts you are jumping to some false conclusions. The spring arms do matter. Without them there is no spring which is a critical part of the Mitchell 300 drag system. If you set your drag by tightening the drag nut all the way down until the spring arms are flat against the spool, then the spool should not turn at all. If it does then something is wrong.
It does not sound to me like you are adjusting your drag correctly. I am attaching instructions which explain how to adjust the drag on a Mitchell 300 with the original parts.
carvedtones wrote:
The other is do i really need a matching part or just any reasonably correct sized thin spacer? What is the point of the part being like that versus a simple spacer?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by a "matching part" and "thin spacer". If you mean a matching drag spring, then definitely yes IMHO. If you are talking about the drag washer then that is another matter.
Kind Regards,
Bill :tup

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:12 am • #  

Since we are talking drag here. When I was a young man (I'm old now) an old timer saw me with a Mitchell, and took the time to talk to me. I didn't know the in and outs of the reels. But I remember him telling me, when I'm finished with the reel for the day to take the tension off the drag nut and check under the spool for dirt etc. I fish different line# in different waters. Some folks like to horse a fish in. That said I like to have a light drag (enough to set a hook) and set the drag during the fight. The fight is what keeps me coming back :sAni_fish:

May your lines always be tight, Don

Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply