Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Hard to wind 440a
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:00 pm • #  

Hello. I have a 440a which is stiff to wind. Looking for advice on a remedy. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Hard to wind 440a
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:07 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Greetings stebrock,
Welcome to the Mitchell Reel Museum.
When I get one of these old reels that is hard to wind. I get my screwdrivers out, tear it apart, and do a good cleaning. Usually, that will do the job. The grease in those reels can turn to stiff wax when left for years.

Regards,
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:18 pm • #  

Thanks for the advice. After stripping it I felt it was in good order. I would say that it had been serviced before. I found some line wrapped behind the plate under the spool, and removed this.
Cleaned oiled and greased. Reassembled but to no avail. Fortunately after a short time I realised that if the handle was tightened as needed it was hard to wind, but left not tight the reel worked great. so it seems I need to find a small washer to space off the handle.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:50 pm • #  

I'm glad the rest of the reel checked out ok. The handle spacers
are easy to find and inexpensive on ebay. It's easier than sorting through parts bins trying to match the size.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:18 pm • #  

Stebrock,
Another common remedy is to place a shim on the drive axle behind the drive gear inside the reel. Check and see if the drive gear has been rubbing on the cover, if so, there will be a circular mark worn on the cover under the drive gear.
Hope this helps. ;)
Kind Regards,
Bill :tup

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:28 pm • #  

Thanks chaps. After further investigation I have discovered that the threaded part of the handle has a washer/clip which is designed to lock in position on the threaded shaft. However it does not stay in position therefore allowing the handle/cover to foul against the body of the reel when fully tightened. As a stop gap I have simply removed the cover and the lock washer. When fitting and tightening the handle it now works fine, I would however like it to be as designed. I will look into a replacement lock washer, but I do feel it is a poor design and likely to reoccur.

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply