Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: 309 Stuck Spool
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:49 pm • #  

Attachment:
IMG_20190704_203018-600x800.jpg
Attachment:
IMG_20190704_203059-600x800.jpg
Hello,
I am working on a 309 and have a problem. The bottom half of the spool is stuck on the axle. I have used penetrating oil on it for 3 days, still won't come off. Is is possible the little metal fingers on the end of the axle are bent causing it to bind? Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks Larry

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: 309 Stuck Spool
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:18 am • #  

Larry,
Spindles are cheap, try and save your axle.
Get a block of wood or something and drill a hole in it so the axle can pass through. Thread axle into hole until you reach the base of the spindle. Tap on the end of the push button. If you are lucky the axle will come out. If not lucky you can cut off the spindle tube w/a very fine dremel cutting wheel. Start at the push button end. This method works 50% of the time for me.
Had one stuck spool that turned out to be stuck where the tiny little gear, molded onto the axle, was corroded so badly it stuck to the small mating gear socket in the bottom of the spindle tube. I had to cut the gear socket of the spindle tube in half to free the axle. Once again used the very fine cutting wheel on my Dremel.

Kind Regards,
Bill :tup

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: 309 Stuck Spool
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:57 am • #  

Bill
Thanks for your reply, that cutaway view sure helps. Still no luck with stuck spindle, now that I know what its called. Was hoping I wouldn't have to cut anything, I will try that trick with the wood block first. Hopefully I can save the axle, just have to be careful if I have to cut off spindle. I will post how it goes. Once again thanks, Larry

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply