Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 22 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Crusty 308
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:18 pm • #  

Picked up this 308 today at a flea market, paint came off right in my hand. I said $5.00 and he said sold. Came home and tore it apart, looks like another total restore. My daughter likes purple, I just finished building her a purple flounder rod. So I guess this spring I'll be doing a purple 300 for that rod, and this 308 for another rod build.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

May your lines always be tight, Don

Post subject: Re: Crusty 308
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:28 am • #  

Don, that one is a project...I would call it a parts reel, though with enough TLC, she could be revived...can’t wait to see the after photos..

Sandman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:36 am • #  

Yeah that's a little crusty, but it deserves to be saved.
I picked up another 330 a couple weeks ago that was almost as crusty as your reel. I took a chance on it because it looked like it was good under all the dirt, and after a ridiculous amount of soaking and cleaning, it is in extremely good condition, and ironically when I opened it up, it was absolutely pristine inside...
Looking forward to your after pictures. I like purple.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:01 am • #  

I flounder fish with this 406, the last total restore. I think you saw this one start to finish Sandman. Baked the paint to cure, on a Weber grill. Took about 3 or 4 days to get to bare metal. I :sCo_hmmthink: this one may be 1 day.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:00 am • #  
Global Moderator

I think that you are the man for that job.

Regards,
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:21 pm • #  

I don't think the fish will care what color it is. Might as well have fun.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:14 pm • #  

The weather hasn't been all that great here lately. So I decided to pull the crusty 308 out. It's just about ready for paint. I'm doing it with Dupli-color matte Plum Purple. Last restore I used Dupli-color clear coat, it held up well. I'm thinking of using Max 2K clear coat this time. Has anyone used this on anything?
And the weber grill will be baking it on.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:23 pm • #  

Hi Don, That ones going to take some TLC , I don't mind fixing and cleaning reels up some , but I don't know if I have the patience or the time to do the restorations that you undertake. More power to you, we want to see the end result, and may your grill always be hot. Regards, John in Pa. :sCh_fisherman:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:19 pm • #  

John,
As you may know I only have user or parts reels. If I get a reel for next to nothing, and it works but is in bad shape. Then I'll restore it.
This reels was exactly that. I made my daughter a purple (her favorite color) flounder rod. Which I'll have to tear apart a 300 to paint for that rig. I have a trout blank and figured give her a purple trout rig as well.
Being retired I mostly fish, work on reels, and build rods. Now that it's warm out, I sit at my work table in the yard, have a couple/few Miller's and work. Many of them are given way to kids.
Looks like we are going to get 4 days of rain this week. So I put the primer down today. It looks blue, but it's gray.
Sorry about the picture quality.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:53 pm • #  

I'm looking forward to seeing it finished. I like purple.
You had mentioned that you put the parts on your Weber
after spraying. What temperature do you use and how long ?

I used to paint show cars and multi-million dollar motorhomes, so I've sprayed hundreds of gallons of material over the years, using
all the different types of paint but I've never tried doing reels with cans of spray paint. The thing that always worried me was if it would cure properly and be very durable. I know a lot of the spray can paints are basic enamel, which is a very durable paint when done properly.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:14 am • #  

Mike,
The grill is a charcoal grill, so I get to about 275 degrees with the lid on and bake it for 2 1/2 hrs. It is usually about 125 - 135 degree when I life the lid. Oh I heat it off heat/the coals. Pictures are from last restore.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:40 pm • #  

Thanks Don. Much appreciated. I may have to pick up a good candidate reel, and try doing it one of these days.
I like doing things like this.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:26 pm • #  

Hi don, If you throw a couple of shrimp on the Barbie I just might come down there to help you watch the paint dry and chug a couple of those Millers , LOL. Always keep your drag snug. John in pa. :sCh_fisherman:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:15 pm • #  

Is it purple yet ? :sHa_biggrin:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:37 pm • #  

Not yet haven't been able to get outside to paint or fish. Been raining here almost all of two weeks. Weekend is suppose to be nice but must do yard work. Monday & Tuesday calling for rain, Hopefully I get some flounder fishing in and paint it late next week.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:25 pm • #  

Well, today is officially the first day of summer, so hopefully your weather turns soon. I completely understand about getting yard work done. The wife and I kinda procrastinated about starting on ours, so that's all we have been doing the last week or so.
Gotta get the chores done so we can go fishing too.
Hopefully you will get a chance to go fishing soon.

As much as I like working on the reels, if I had a choice to spend one day fishing or one day working on reels, I think I would have to chose fishing... I can always work on reels after I get back home from fishing :sHa_biggrin:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:42 pm • #  

Work on my reels mostly in the winter. Helps with cabin fever :tup :tup ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:05 pm • #  

It's a great way to spend time during the winter.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:45 pm • #  

First coat of paint is now on, Mike I guess I can say it's purple.
I ordered a spray can of 2K clear, going to try it without baking. A few people have told me Hardens very well. I'll try 3 coats and see, worst that can happen is to do it again. And the rod will match with something purple in the reel seat.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:39 am • #  

Yep, it's definitely purple :sHa_biggrin: I like it. I'm looking forward to seeing it once it has the clear on it, and it's back together.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:14 pm • #  

Well my daughters purple reel is done. I'm not real happy about the finished product, to many flaws and have to clean up the anti reverse lever. But for now i'm going to have her fish with it, and bang it around. I want to see how the 2 K clear holds up, it does seem very hard. If it chips i'll go back to baking the paint. Probably re strip it in the fall, and re do it before the coal weather. It needs a new spool, and I don't like the purple drag nut. Anyway here it is. The matching rod will be built over the winter, to help get through the winter.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:17 pm • #  

Don't like this.

Page 1 of 1   [ 22 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply