Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:14 am • #  

Hi All,

First off I want to say it is really nice spending time here again, after taking a break and dealing with some life changes.
I had a decent, but small compared to many here, collection of various models but my primary focus was on 408's, 410 and 440 reels. When things in life started changing I lost interest in many things I really enjoyed, and decided to simplify things, so I decided
to sell off a good portion of my collection, but I couldn't bring myself to sell everything LOL...

So, now that things have settled down and are returning back to
normal, it didn't take long for my interests to start coming back,
and I have already begun what I call phase 2 of my collecting.
I have noticed that while I still love the 400 series reels, I am more drawn now to the various 300 series reels, as well as the round body reels. The old searching habits are still there, and I'm still trying to program myself to change those habits. It will happen eventually, but it still seems a little odd. Certainly not bad, just different.

I am actually really enjoying the change, and find myself learning more about the 300 series reels, which is part of the fun. I'm trying to keep the buying under control but I've never had much self control when it comes to that and I guess the number of packages that have been being delivered shows that I already lost that battle. I'm okay with that though because I am really having a lot of fun with them again.

So, I guess this is my long winded way of asking if you have
found yourself changing focus over time, and directing your attention to new models, or if you have stayed with the models that you originally started collecting ?

Mike

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:35 am • #  

Mike,
Welcome back :sSig_welcome2:
I am still learning about Mitchell 300 model reels so have not had an urge to change direction yet.
Am looking forward to your posts regarding 300s.

Kind Regards,
Bill :tup

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:02 am • #  

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the welcome back... There is certainly plenty to learn just with the various versions of the 300. My life with Mitchell started when I was 13 years old, and I'm 57 now. My parents got me my first nice new fishing rod. It was a new Eagle Claw 7ft spinning rod, with a new Mitchell 300 reel attached to it. I can't even tell you how many fish I have caught with that setup, but I still have it, and still use it occasionally. I've always been really fussy with my things, and even after having it almost 45 years, I'm not sure how but they both still look almost like new.

Even though I haven't been a member here for a long time, I lurked for quite awhile before deciding to join. Even in that short time I have learned so much about Mitchells from folks here. The amount of knowledge here is just incredible. Plus there are a lot of great pictures to look at.

While I enjoy picking up a reel that is mint condition or close to it, a big part of the enjoyment for me besides the learning, is finding a reel that is dirty and looks neglected, but that I can hopefully tell by really studying the pictures what lies under all of the years of gunk and neglect, and then disassemble and thoroughly cleaning the reel, replace any parts that might need replacing, and making it look and work almost like new again. It's certainly easier if you can look at the reel in person, but I rarely find any locally. I've picked up a couple in the past that I was really wrong about, but those turned into parts reels so all was not lost.

I just received a 300C and a 330. The pictures were absolutely terrible, and I just couldn't get a good feel for them, and as I was waiting for them to arrive, I was actually thinking they both might end up as parts reels. Well, after spending several hours on each reel I was pleasantly surprised. The 330 is very close to mint condition, and the 300C isn't far from it. That means the next one I get, I will probably be REALLY wrong about LOL....

Take care
Mike

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:21 am • #  

Collecting really crept up on me unannounced. I have a 300 which I had for Christmas 1966 and still use. It was THE reel for matchmen in the UK in the 1960's and is still up there with the best. I've also got a 400 and a 308, but in the last couple of years I've moved on to 440's, which are, in my opinion the best available. When you consider that these were designed over 40 years ago, they are still a delight to use. I've used "modern" reels, but feel that they are disposable items, whereas the Mitchell will last you a lifetime (and beyond) if serviced regularly. I now have 4 440's which I use in rotation.

Chris, Bristol UK

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:10 pm • #  

It's nice to know that the 300's are still popular in the U.K Chris.
I have to believe that they are still popular here in the states too.
I could be wrong but I have a feeling most of the popularity here
is with the older folks because I saw a very similar trend when I was still collecting vintage Winchesters and Colts.
The older guys had been collecting the vintage guns for years and as they got older and passed on, the younger generation that inherited them sold them because they had no interest in old guns.
They want the newest latest greatest things, which as you mention are for the most part disposable and cheaply made.

The old things were made to last. Companies took pride in what they made, and they also made them so they could be repaired in the off chance something broke. Something that the newer reels lack besides quality is character. I too have some newer equipment that is considered top of the line, and while I guess they are nice, no matter how I look at them, there is no character.
One thing that still amazes me is that the modern reels have so many bearings, and yes many are quite smooth, but when you pickup an old 300 in good condition that has no ball or roller bearings, it can be just as smooth. That says a lot about the older reels.

I'm glad to hear that you still use your 440's. Those and the 330's are great reels, and I've yet to find a modern reel that has anywhere near the technology and craftsmanship it took to make these reels. I've owned quite a few of them but have only bought a few that had mechanical issues, and it took me a little while to figure out how to make them tick properly, but it was fun learning about them, and now that I understand them, I appreciate them even more.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:19 pm • #  

Mike,
I just wanted to mention that Wallace Carney has written a book about the Mitchell 300's. It's titled: "The Mitchell Classic 300 Spinning Reel, 1939 to 1989" I absolutely love my copies. (Yes, I have more than one) :sBo_bounce2:
This book has a lot of information on the Mitchell 300 and tons of great photographs. I highly recommend it to any Mitchell collector or people who have an interest in Mitchell. :clap
You can still find copies for sale if you are interested.

Kind Regards,

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:12 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Mike 408,
I have been a user of a Mitchell 300 and 308 reels since the middle 60's, but as a beginning collector I focused on Creek Chub wooden, glass eyed, fishing lures. That was the case till the mid 70's when I started noticing that there were a lot of varieties of Mitchell reels. Those early reels I picked up were, mostly, well worn models that I enjoyed cleaning up and repairing when needed.
Most lure collectors try to get lures in nice conditions , and new if possible, so that thinking changed what I started looking for in Mitchells.
I got to the point that I would buy a boxed Mitchell then get rid of the lesser condition Mitchell that matched.
Then, about 10 years later, I trimmed down to where I had only Ex or better boxed 300 and 308 reels, and a few oddballs.
Another 10 years later, I got rid of the 308 models except for users.
I was 75 my last BD and who knows where I'll go next.

Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:12 am • #  

GreatLaker wrote:
Mike,
I just wanted to mention that Wallace Carney has written a book about the Mitchell 300's. It's titled: "The Mitchell Classic 300 Spinning Reel, 1939 to 1989" I absolutely love my copies. (Yes, I have more than one) :sBo_bounce2:
This book has a lot of information on the Mitchell 300 and tons of great photographs. I highly recommend it to any Mitchell collector or people who have an interest in Mitchell. :clap
You can still find copies for sale if you are interested.

Kind Regards,

Thanks for the reminder Bill. I've read others here that also referenced this book. I really should start looking for one, because it would be very informative to read, and pictures are always nice.

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:23 am • #  

Ted Lanham wrote:
Mike 408,
I have been a user of a Mitchell 300 and 308 reels since the middle 60's, but as a beginning collector I focused on Creek Chub wooden, glass eyed, fishing lures. That was the case till the mid 70's when I started noticing that there were a lot of varieties of Mitchell reels. Those early reels I picked up were, mostly, well worn models that I enjoyed cleaning up and repairing when needed.
Most lure collectors try to get lures in nice conditions , and new if possible, so that thinking changed what I started looking for in Mitchells.
I got to the point that I would buy a boxed Mitchell then get rid of the lesser condition Mitchell that matched.
Then, about 10 years later, I trimmed down to where I had only Ex or better boxed 300 and 308 reels, and a few oddballs.
Another 10 years later, I got rid of the 308 models except for users.
I was 75 my last BD and who knows where I'll go next.

Ted Lanham

It sounds like you have also went through several different phases Ted. It's funny, as we get older, our perspective starts to change, as do our priorities.
I thought there was a lot to learn about Mitchells, I can't even imagine how overwhelming it could be collecting lures.
I have a decent amount of vintage tackle, but I have never officially collected it. It just kinda happened over time, and I got my grandfather's fishing gear too after he passed away 14 years ago at the age of 103.
Heck who knows Ted, maybe a few years down the road you will find that somehow your Mitchell collection ended up growing again...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:53 am • #  

I'm thinking about selling a couple of 308s off and looking into a DAM Quick Microlite or 110. Maybe even a Penn 716. :sFun_bricks:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:28 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Balvar24,
Be careful on with the 716Zs. The plastic drag knob splits and it can cost $30 for a new one. New repo aluminum knobs are +$34.

Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:26 pm • #  

Balvar24 wrote:
I'm thinking about selling a couple of 308s off and looking into a DAM Quick Microlite or 110. Maybe even a Penn 716. :sFun_bricks:

Balvar,

Those are both great reels. The DAM Quick reels are very well built German made reels. I still have a few, but at one time had about 30 of the 110, 220 330, 440 and early Super reels.
They don't have the huge following that Mitchell has but I think people are starting to appreciate them more. They also don't have the shiny pretty appearance that the Mitchells do either, but from a design, workmanship and functionality standpoint, they are great.

The Z series Penn reels are also great reels. The 714 and 716 reels were my favorite. At one time my addiction to those rivaled my love for 308 and 408 reels. As Ted mentioned, the drag knobs can crack but maybe I have just been lucky because of all the 714 and 716 reels I've owned I only had one crack, and fortunately I had a couple spares.

If I hadn't decided to simplify my life I would probably still own all of those reels because they are great reels, but in all honesty, even after selling off quite a few of my Mitchells, they are the ones that I missed the most, which explains the resurgence in buying again lol...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:21 pm • #  

The 408's have been going for stupid money on Ebay the last few days.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:19 pm • #  

They really have been. Even for reels that really aren't that great.
It's like everything, the prices cycle. It's fun watching people new on ebay go nuts and just keep bidding, but on the other hand it makes it harder to buy, but that's okay, I'm definitely not in any
big hurry.
To me it takes the fun out of it if I know I really over payed for something. Not that I haven't, but it was for something that really grabbed me for some reason, or something that I knew I might never find again. Even then my budget only allows me to go so far
which is probably a good thing...

The 308's still seem to be priced about the same as they have for quite awhile, but every once in awhile someone will decide they really want one, and keep bidding.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:02 pm • #  

Does anyone have any experience with Langley Spinlite reels?

Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply