Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 22 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:42 pm • #  

Tested a new rod 4 1/2' UL build with a 308, for a kid giveaway today. Caught a few trout at a delayed harvest stocking. Some youngster is going to be happy.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

May your lines always be tight, Don

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:38 am • #  

don309,
What is a delayed harvest stocking?
Kind Regards,
Bill :tup

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:38 am • #  

Bill,
It's a part of a stream I fish, that is stocked early. The section is called delayed harvest, because their are certain times you can harvest fish from that section. Also artificial baits only. Looks like I'll get back this coming week, looks like a few nice days. Cabin fever is taking it's toll.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:50 pm • #  

Hi Don,
Nice catch. Too cold for me to be out there right now. You're tougher than I am. Hope spring weather comes soon.
Best regards, Dennis2149

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:40 pm • #  

Dennis,
I have 2 more rods built to test. Heading back out Monday, suppose to be 45o. The trout should be use to the stream, bite was show last week.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:42 pm • #  

Dennis
I did get to try out the last to rods I built Thursday. Caught some nice trout and 63o weather. Sorry I was alone so no pictures, but a nice day out fishing!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:08 pm • #  

Don, nice combo and looks perfect for the trout...

Sandman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:54 am • #  

CDSAND7640 :sSig_thankyou:
So looking forward to finding kids, with interest in fishing. I have a friend that has been sending me lots of blanks, from broken 6 1/2 - 7' rods. They make very nice 4 1/2' ul trout poles, made a few i'd like to keep :sHa_yes: ,but their for the kids, I have 5 made now. I'll be putting a 204 or 308 with them. Been picking up these reels in bad shape, and bringing them back. This coming Saturday is mentor a kid fishing day in PA. I'll walk the stream near me and see if I can't give a couple away. Sometime the parent have a big a grin as the kids, when I give it to them.
Here's one i'll built today, finished the handle, and put it on the blank yesterday.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:01 pm • #  

While I know the weatherman can be wrong 70%, of the time and keep their jobs. I sure hope their spot on next weekend, trout season in PA. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday in the 60's, going camping. :sCh_fisherman:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:48 pm • #  

Paired a couple 204's with a couple new rod builds, and headed to the stream today. It was an ideal day, and the fish were biting! Caught about a dozen and a half trout.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:10 pm • #  

nice catch Don...looks like three different strains of trout....and perfect application of the 204 model...

Sandman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:50 am • #  

3 browns 2 rainbows, did catch a couple brook trout. Also spent about 20 mins. trying to lure a 20" - 22" palimino into feeding. With no luck at all.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:45 am • #  

Hi Don,
Beautiful catch. Season starting next weekend. Keep trying for that Palomino.
Best regards, Dennis2149

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:50 pm • #  

Another perfect day!
Little story behind this one. I befriended a guy from my rod building forum, he lives about 45 minutes from me one county over. He had a few ul blanks to donate to me for the kids. So instead of spending money on shipping. We decided to meet, he asked if I had time today. Witch most days I do, and he offered to show me a stream I'd only heard about. We met up and he gave me the blanks, witch I in turn gave him a 308. The look on his face was amazing, he said he had one as a kid. He immediately put it on his ul rod. And off fishing we went, we each caught plenty of trout. Oh in case anyone wonders why I keep so many fish, My Husky/Pit mix loves fish. So it's free meals. Here's the limit I kept.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:03 pm • #  

So I've given a few rods & 204 reels to young anglers, in the past two weeks while trout fishing. The kids rodeo is April 27th, so I went back to building. Finished one last Wednesday, so Friday I "had" too try it out with a 204. A friend told me to try Gulp floating pinch worms 1", fished with a trout magnet jig head. So I took a ride to another new stream, and found another sweet spot. Using the worms I caught 4 - 12" trout, and missed 4 others. Cabin fever seem like a distant past to me now. Here the spot I found.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:52 pm • #  

Nice looking spot and fish Don...looks like lots of fun.

Sandman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:19 am • #  

Thanks Sandman. Actually I've been looking to see how Dennis, making out Northwest of me. We have 2 different trout seasons in PA. Got out yesterday to my local stream, funny how you almost get the whole stream to yourself, a week after the stocking. Tested another 2 rod combo's for the kids 204 and 308 reels. They worked well, and the fish were biting. These fish are 12 To 16 inches. Won't get out for 3-4 days now we got a lot of rain, but be back out when it clears.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:33 pm • #  
Global Moderator

don309,
I've been stuck at home doing the first of my "Honey-Do" list, remodeling the bath, so your pics are the best I can get this Spring. Keep it going! :sCh_fisherman:

Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:58 pm • #  

Ted,
Sorry to hear that! But when I was in that situation, honey had to give me the to-do list in the fall. And be done in late fall through winters end. She knew spring was my favorite time of the year. Hope you get out soon!!

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 9:33 pm • #  

Hi Don,
Great pics of some beautiful trout. For one reason or another, I've only got out fishing twice this season and for only a few hours. Caught just a couple rainbows of average size. Using my first (1967) Mitchell 300 with 6 lb. test. I'll try to contribute more if the fish find my hook.
Best regards, Dennis2149

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:59 pm • #  

During the resent heat wave, I restored my buddies rod (cork, guides stripped the blank and turned a new handle) he had the reel seat taped to the old cork,,LOL. It's his favorite rod and he fishes it hit a 204. So with a couple hours to kill today, I decided to test it. Before he uses it next April. Turned out sweet casted great. And a I caught a couple 10" brown trout.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:03 pm • #  

OH and the fish :sFun_eyescan: .

Page 1 of 1   [ 22 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply