Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:59 am

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:17 pm • #  

The serial number on my reel is 1481917. According to your Dating section this puts my reel in the range 1956- SN1040182 to 1517887. According to your list of Models the Mitchell 308 was not made until 1959.
I have had this reel since new. My father bought in in a US Army PX stationed in Germany and I believe it was 1962/1963 when he gave it to me when he returned to the states.
I love the reel- still use it (I have 3 spools as I acquired the large one from a non surviving 309 my brother had), will pass this on someday and would just like to clear up this mystery. I appreciate any help you can give me.
Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:09 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Greeting Darkstar,
Welcome to the Mitchell Reel Museum.
The information in our "Dating" link just applies to the egg-shaped bodies with a 3 screw "coverplate" , so this information won't apply to a Mitchell 308.
I believe that your 1962 date is correct for your reel based on other information supplied by one of our 308 collectors.
These are great reels, and they are still in demand for ultra lite fishermen.
Regards,
Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:06 pm • #  

Darkstar, below is a UL dating chart...As Ted mentioned, the non-egg shaped bodied reels are not considered in the dating chart you viewed...looks like your serial number falls in production year 1972 (August - July), and, calendar year 1973...remember all UL reels were numbered sequentially regardless of the model...use the far right column to find where your SN lands...your reel went to market somewhere between summer of '73 and likely no later than Spring of '74.

Sandman

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:05 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Sandman,
I appreciate your correction on my dating.
It seems like every time I look at this chart ( same as the one I have) I get the wrong year. I must have dropped a digit.:sFun_bricks:

Either I have to practice reading it, or get a new pair of glasses. One or the other.

I'm glad I have guys like you to keep me straight. :sHa_rollingsmilie: :sHa_rollingsmilie:

Ted

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:41 am • #  

Thanks Ted and Sandman. After looking at my reel more closely the first digit is not a 1; it's a scratch of some sort. So my serial # starts with 48 which puts it at 1965 which makes more sense than 1972. My father did 2 3 year stints overseas and I had the wrong one. I had hundreds of fish logged by 72 with this reel. Thanks again!

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply