Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: 440ALC axle issue
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:22 am • #  

I just took apart and degreased my 440ALC. Issue with the axle. Is it supposed to be so incredibly tight in the axle shaft that it is next to impossible to pull from the housing? Same problem with inserting it. Tried a different axle and same issue. Reel functions but does not spin very freely. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks :sAng_banghead2:

Post subject: Re: 440ALC axle issue
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:15 pm • #  

Hi Wayne,

I would check for any marks on the rotor cup for indications of having been dropped or hit. Because two different axels experienced the same "tightness" my gut feel is the rotor stem on the body of the reel (where the axel passes through and the rotor mounts) is either bent or out of round. If that is the case, it's likely that you need a new body for your reel. I haven't tried straightening one before so I'm not sure of probability of success or failure. I would try that axel in another reel to see if it may be bent as well. Just my thoughts :sSa_sadeyes: .

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:22 pm • #  

Thanks Chris, playing some more it is feeling like housing. I have it a little better but have doubts I will get it perfect. Still feels like a reel with old grease. :sSig_thankyou:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:30 pm • #  

Hi Wayne,

Should it be old grease (hopefully!), I use WD-40 and a tooth brush which I spray liberally and then scrub with the toothbrush - wipe down with a soft shop rag or paper towel. For the really tough stuff (usually only gears though), I soak it for a while in mineral spirits and then give it a scrub with the toothbrush. WARNING! Mineral spirits is not recommended for bodies, rotors and faceplates with stickers, printing or name plates - only the engraved/plain painted parts. Good luck and let us know how you're progressing! :tup

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:21 pm • #  

No, what I meant was with the bent housing and bent axle it felt like a reel that suffered from old grease. I just finished up putting it back together. "Tweaked" the housing as straight as I could and Dremeled/steel wooled the axle where it felt like it rubbed. Now slides and acts like it should. New grease tonight and it will be ready for the river. Can't wait to try it out. :sCh_fisherman: Thanks for the help.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:44 pm • #  

Hi Wayne,
Good to hear :sHa_okay: :tup :sHa_okay: :tup :sCh_fisherman:

Regards,
Chris

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply