Old Mitchells

A place to post history on anyone or anything associated with Mitchell...
allansharkey

Old Mitchells

Post by allansharkey »

Hi All, When I am repairing, restoring or servicing an old fifties reel, I think to myself I was a baby when this was made or being used, if its pre fifties I was not born, sixties a teenager, a strange feeling some times when I identity a year that means something to me. I have always loved the Mitchell reels, using them to fish with for years, and in the past years, restoring and servicing them, I am not a collector, my hobby is getting them back to the river or lake so thanks Mitchell for such a great range of reels for many years, to keep so many peoples memories alive, Allan

Bailarm

Re: Old Mitchells

Post by Bailarm »

I'm with you Alan, the quality of those Fifties reels is outstanding.

When I first started restoring and selling on early Mitchell ( 300) reels, everyone wanted a reel from their birth year......including me!

Last year one of my reels 'came home'. It was one I had done up and sold on about ten years ago. Its new owner wanted it checked over and I found some modifications inside I had made all those years ago.

My only problem now is that I can't get hold of the German grease I was once using on them. The last batch was rubbish.

}<)))'> Bailarm
Schrack

Re: Old Mitchells

Post by Schrack »

I was 10 in 1956, painted neighbors house and made $35. I went down to Herders Sporting Goods and paid $27. For Reel and $9. For Berkley Rod, they threw in line for free.
Would get the looks from people fishing on how does that kid have a Mitchell300.
In 63 joined the Air Force and my parents gave most of my still away including Reel and Rod.
I bought another 300 in 67 still have it and is in excellent cond.
A while back I got into repairing them , lately have had alot.
I retired with 40 yrs in A.F. now am at 20 for Del. DOC (Prison Guard) plan to retire next year.
Opening a shop Vintage Tackle specializing in only repairing Old Mitchells.
I have found Mitchell's are in my opinion the best Reel ever made.
A few issues, the French were not ones for smoothing shafts and tracks.
Stick do not know why they changed design on 304 going with plastic instead of the metal plant um system?????
Any way, I agree with you, people buy this Chinese junk that works great, but breaks very quickly, and you can not get parts.
That's my 2 Cents.