Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:34 pm

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: 308 Question
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:34 pm • #  

Hey y'all,

I'm new to the Mitchell reel world. Just bought this 1963 308 model off E-bay. It has the large capacity spool. Question: should the line be spooled in the manner in the photo? With other spinning reels that I have - the spool moves up and back in a cyclical pattern (for lack of better description). Interestingly the pattern of the up and back motion of this reel is a more complex pattern. I assume this is by design. The result is more line at the front of the spool. I'm thinking this is a good thing and will make casting easier. Got to say I love this little reel. Spooled it with Stren 4lb fluorocarbon and I'll be using it with a 5.5' light '80s vintage Zebco. Its my small steam rig. Thanks!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Regards, Scott Brown
"The two best times to fish is when it's rainin' and when it ain't." -Patrick F. MacManus

Post subject: Re: 308 Question
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:35 pm • #  

UpTheCreek,
I have a number of 308's all mine spool even. I'm sure someone will have an answer for you. Good luck with the reel 308 - 204 are my favorites.

May your lines always be tight, Don

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:50 pm • #  

UpTheCreek, Hi just wondering if you can give more info as to how you put the line on the spool. You should have ran it thru at least the first guide from the reel and then thru the reel guide . If you did then you have a problem with the reel, possibly the spool is not on correct, the line should be about the same height from the front of the spool to the back and may be a little high in the center. All this assumes that there is nothing wrong with the reel.Maybe you'll get a better answer from one of the other Mates . Best regards, John in Pa. :sCh_fisherman:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:13 am • #  

UpTheCreek, John is correct..."the line should be about the same height from the front of the spool to the back and may be a little high in the center". I've never seen a 308 spool loaded from a reel this top heavy...makes me think something is wrong with the Planamatic gearing/oscillation slide block inside the reel. May want to take the backplate off to ensure it is functioning properly. You can post photos with the back plate and the mates can help.

Sandman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:45 am • #  

UpTheCreek,
A couple of suggestions for you. :sCo_hmmthink:

Why use the large capacity spool if you are going to fish with only 4 lb test line? Seems to me a small capacity spool would work much better for you. :sBo_bounce2: Another option you could check out would be to use a spool arbor with this reel if you could find one of the newer polished aluminum spools that used the blue colored arbor. I do not know if that arbor would work with your existing large capacity spool but you could check it out. :sCh_fisherman:

The interesting gearing you are noticing is called Planamatic gearing as Sandman pointed out. This gearing was patented by Mitchell. It served as a compromise between level wind and cross wind gearing. :sHa_biggrin:

I've got to go along with John and Sandman as far as the way you put the line on. Something does not seem right. Check out the attachment below. :sFun_bricks:

Finally, I suggest you buy an owners manual for your reel. You may find one for sale on eBay for not a lot of money. I really like all the information given in my owners manuals I have for my 300s. :clap

Hope this helps.
Kind Regards,
Bill :tup

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:02 pm • #  

Thanks for the responses guys. Everything looks like its working like it was designed to do. I watched the annual maintenance video linked to the MRM site and made sure all parts were present and installed correctly. Also at the end of the video the reel is cranked and it has the same motion that mine has. I'm thinking that what Bill said about spool size and such is the issue. I did make sure that the line was on the correct part of the bail when winding. I keep the line tight and spooled it as normal. Bill's right - A small spool is what I need, this was an E-bay purchase and I got what I got. I first put 100 yds of 4 lb and it was way under spooled so I used about 100 + yds of mono as backer (had the spool so long label was gone and not sure of test, prob about 8 lb) and then attached the 4 lb with a blood knot. Its nice and tight, need to test it by casting I suppose. I'm thinking by spooling well over 200 yds I'm asking the reel to do something it wasn't designed to do. I attached some photos and I'll attach more in a separate post, looks like three is the limit. BTW it came with this much grease, I plan to remove all that, clean it up and sparing apply grease. Thanks again guys!

Scott Brown

Regards, Scott Brown
"The two best times to fish is when it's rainin' and when it ain't." -Patrick F. MacManus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:04 pm • #  

More photos - looks good to me.

Regards, Scott Brown

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:05 pm • #  

Last one with parts laid out. No wear on the parts that I see

Regards, Scott Brown

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:50 pm • #  

Looks like all the gearing and alignment is good...must be something with the spool or backing...

Sandman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:12 pm • #  

I'll let you all know if I can get it resolved. I'm going to try a small spool or arbor as suggested. Really do appreciate the help. Thanks!

Regards, Scott Brown

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:16 am • #  

I resolved the problem, at least I came up with a short-term solution. I spooled some backing line evenly on the spool by spinning it on an electric drill. Then I put on about 75 yds of 4 lb line. I'll use it next week for small steam fishing, but will be looking for a small capacity spool for a more permanent solution. This is my brookie rig, the rod is a 5'6" ultra-light Zebco from the early 80's. I cast it in the back yard today and I love the combination. Thanks again y'all. I'll post some pics from the Mitchell 308 in action (hopefully next to a trout!) when I get back from the Blue Ridge.

Scott Brown

Regards, Scott Brown

Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply