Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 25 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:59 pm • #  

Mates,

I’ve been thinking I would like to start an extensive thread on Garcia’s imported ABU Reflex Spinner (made in Sweden) analogous to what was done with the Plucky. I would be able to provide images of catalog pages and spinners (loose, carded, and in kits – with emphasis on those with finishes ABU only did for Garcia) – along with some history. I have seen some Mates post their Reflex spinner images at MRM in the past.

Is it the case that in the US during the 50s through 70s the most prevalent lure cast with Mitchell reels was Garcia’s ABU Reflex Spinner? Certainly, in terms of sales, Garcia sold tens of millions making it their most successful lure by far. Garcia placed advertising emphasis on this spinner in conjunction with their other imports from early on.

Please reply with your thoughts. If there is interest, we’ll proceed. If this would be too far afield, understood.

John
Attachment:
5604 F&S 013 Garcia trio.jpg

Attachment:
5605 F&S 055 Garcia Reflex.jpg

P.S. Just for fun, here's a review by an independent source:
Attachment:
6205 Popular Mechanics 083 Reflex.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:19 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Halcyon,
I used these baits in the years they were popular, and they were great for smallmouth in some of smaller WV streams. Lost a bunch! :sFun_bricks:

At the time, due to lack of funds, I didn't spend much on magazines so I think that word-of-mouth was how I got turned on to them. Plus, they worked great with my new Mitchell 300.
It nice to see they were presented to fishermen in their ads.

I, particularly, like the color plate. Suitable for framing.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:18 pm • #  

Hi Mates,

Ted, You mean like this?
Attachment:
reflex..jpg

One of my favorites in my Reel Room.

John, I would be very interested in your research on the ABU Reflex and would be happy to help if I can. Here are a couple of mine.
Attachment:
reflex 1.jpg

The above is an original display but it has ben populated with several different styles of the reflex lures, I still like it though and they are all NOS.
Attachment:
reflex 2.jpg

And this is a NOS package of Reflex lures. I've tried fishing these lures (not the ones photo'd :sHa_biggrin: ) but most of my fishing is on remote streams in Maine going after natural brook trout. These fish are in the 8" to 10" size and while they will hit the lure, I think they are going after the spinner as opposed to the entire lure - I don't think they can fit it in their mouth. Still fun though!

Regards,
Chris

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:31 pm • #  

Hi John,

This is my earliest advertisement for the Reflex lure. It comes from the 1952 Garcia Fishing Tackle Catalog.
Attachment:
reflex 3jpg.jpg

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:35 am • #  

Ted, Yes those treble-hooked spinners stick to all sorts of thing we prefer them not to. I would loose 1-3 per day on a stream.

There was a weedless model imported by Garcia starting in 1960. I'm not sure how long, to 1972 at least (based on images I have on file). That said, I don't know how readily available they were. I never saw one until after ebay came along.

I have a dealer card of 12 with all the hackle chewed off by mites or very small insects. When the card came in, I immediately put it in a ziplock bag and stuck it in the freezer for a few days. That'll kill 'em. It's a trick I learned from ornithologists. Some day I'll get around to retying the hackle to make it a nice card.
Attachment:
6200 Garcia Trade 022 Reflex Weedless.jpg

Chris, Nice stuff!

Mates,

Here's a May, 1974 Field & Stream ad stating "almost 18 million sold". I don't know how high that number ultimately got.
Attachment:
7405 F&S 002 Reflex excerpt.jpg

Attachment:
7405 F&S 001-2 Reflex.jpg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:50 am • #  

Fish-scale series
Most people don't realize this series was US market only and that brown/yellow was short-lived.

•1964: Garcia introduced 5 different Fishscale colors, only in ¼ oz
- body: red/white blade: red/silver
- body: green/yellow blade: green/silver
- body: black/white blade: black/silver
- body: blue/white blade: blue/silver
- body: brown/yellow blade: brown/silver
• 1966: last year for brown/yellow
• 1976: last year for Fish-scale line in Garcia catalog
Attachment:
ABU Reflex Fish-scale set.jpg

Attachment:
ABU Reflex Fish-scale kits.jpg

Attachment:
ABU Relex Fish-scale Brown card sm.jpg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:55 am • #  

Attachment:
6400 Garcia Annual 169 Fish-scale ed.jpg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:04 pm • #  

Chrome-Blue series
Another series that was US market only was the Chrome-Blue.
Attachment:
ABU Reflex Chrome-Blue loose.jpg

Attachment:
ABU Reflex Chrome-Blue card.jpg

Attachment:
ABU Reflex Chrome-Blue carton.jpg

• 1969 – Chrome-Blue Reflex first cataloged by Garcia in 3/4 oz (18 g) size only (some blades are stamped 5/8 oz)

• 1973 – Chrome-Blue Reflex series started with 4 sizes added: 1/4, 1/3, 1/2, and 1 1/8 oz

• 1977 – Chrome-Blue Reflex series of 5 sizes cataloged by Garcia through 1977

• 1978 – no Reflex Spinners of any type cataloged by Garcia; Reflex Spinners are then sold by Burke (1978 and maybe 1979), but Chrome-Blue was not included by Burke; that was the end of Sweden-made Reflex in the US.

Several years ago, I wanted to get some contemporary Abu Garcia Reflex Spinners (Asian made). I ended up ordering them from the UK. I know Abu Garcia has attempted to bring them back to the US at least once, but they remained primarily a rest-of-the-world item.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:06 pm • #  

Attachment:
6900 Garcia Annual 170 Reflex Chrome-Blue 0.75oz.jpg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:50 pm • #  

Old Crow Tackle Buster
Okay, here's something you don't see everyday, a fishing lure packaged for a bourbon whiskey company. There was also a thin plastic faux-wood framed version. Old Crow did this with 4 lures from different companies.

Clearly a collectible only, as the crow logo sticker on the blade likely wouldn't have lasted 1 fishing trip.

Dare I say, cheers?
Attachment:
Old Crow Reflex card sm.jpg

Attachment:
Old Crow Reflex back sm.jpg

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:25 am • #  

Hey Chris,

Fascinating what you write above. So many things to reply.
Quote:
I've tried fishing these lures (not the ones photo'd :sHa_biggrin: ) but most of my fishing is on remote streams in Maine going after natural brook trout. These fish are in the 8" to 10" size and while they will hit the lure, I think they are going after the spinner as opposed to the entire lure - I don't think they can fit it in their mouth.
You have to go with what the customer is telling you, in this case the fish.

1) There is good evidence that stocked are different from natives. As far as stocked, it's either that a crowded tank with cereal to eat does not provide enough of a learning experience or a natural selection process for their upcoming environment (a weeding out) for them - probably a combination of the two. It's been observed that stocked don't observe standard social behavior, crowding/moving out natives when released in a river. New Zealand trout, although originally stocked, now naturally reproducing for many decades and adapting to that environment, are reported to be very difficult to catch. [That said, I've caught (native) grayling in Russia and to be blunt, they ain't too bright - consistent with what was written about them in the early days of Michigan.]

2) The phenomenon of mouth size/hookup versus lure size is real. Decades ago I used to drift fish for king salmon in Michigan. I said, why are we using steelhead lures (albeit the bigger ones of that category) for kings? Let's use some bigger sizes. Indeed that resulted in more strikes, but lost fish. [On the other hand, I got laughs for using Bomber LongA's 6'' long (which looked way too big) for 2-lb coho and they hooked up like crazy.]

3) I've had immature fish (of different species) go after the blade of a spinner bait (the hairpin type) and not the body. I haven't ever seen this with inline spinners, but your fish are telling you what they want (or let's say what they don't want).

4) Okay back to spinners. For stocked fish I go by what In-Fisherman Magazine professionals advised decades ago, a #3 blade for stream fishing. It may look too big for small trout, but they will still strike it. The big ones won't strike a smaller blade.

Hey Ted,

I've been thinking about what you wrote about your access to fishing magazines. For me, as a kid, I think it was only in barber shops. But since that was the late 60s and into the 70s, that was not that often for me :sFun_rofl:. Although catalogs that came in the mail, I ate up. Then in the 80s, when I discovered and subscribed to technical magazines (Fishing Facts and In-Fisherman) I became a better fisherman.

Below is an image of a weedless (vass in Swedish) that I got as a reference for my retying.

John
Attachment:
ABU Reflex weedless loose.jpg

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:50 am • #  
Global Moderator

Halcyon,
Mom used a bowl on my head with those hand clippers that pulled more than cut. :sEm_oops:

Probably, the same story here. Fishing mags in study hall at school.

I need to dig out some of my old reflex lures and try them again!

Regards,

Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:39 pm • #  

More Reflex-)

Counter display card from the shops in the USA:-)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:17 pm • #  

Hey Jens1,

:sSig_welcome4: to the Mitchell Reel Museum Forum!

That’s a very nice Garcia dealer card of ABU Reflex Spinners. Thanks for posting.

Such a dealer card is occasionally also called an easel or a tripod card. There is something slightly wrong (easily fixed/corrected) with your card’s tripod. Two of the lure-attachment metal strips are preventing the cardboard flap from folding back to make a tripod. Those 2 lure attachments should be folded behind/underneath the cardboard that folds out. This is difficult to describe with words, I should be able to post an image to help in a couple of days.

Also, I couldn’t help notice you used the term “joker” in your image file names. This is not a term I have seen before for the Reflex Spinner. Although, I can understand it, given the original body color was orange; white with black spots does evoke a harlequin pattern. Is there some information you would like to share about this?

John

P.S. Your post has reminded me I had intended to post some Reflex Spinner 5-compartment plastic boxes with cardboard sleeves.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:31 pm • #  

Hi John,

1) I see your point regarding the metal strips, which can be removed. This card was not "unpacked" so this is properly the reason why the metal strips are still installed.

2) The naming of the files is not "Reflex related".

Looking forward to seeing your Reflex post.

Cheers
Jens

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:26 pm • #  

Hey Jens,

So, below I show the back of a Garcia dealer card when unfolded to create an easel.

This particular card is with a ¾ oz ABU Hi-Fi Spinner version (like your ¾ oz Reflex Spinner, a little big for the one-size-fits-all card). As you may know, ABU made the Hi-Fi specifically (only) for Garcia (USA). The lure is a combination of the Roulette lure’s body and the Sonette’s spinner blade. A nice keel spinner body (like a sailboat keel) to prevent line twist with just a little added hook guard protection. Plus, a blade with extra sonic vibrations.

John
Attachment:
Garcia easel card ABU Hi-Fi 0.75 oz back.jpg

Attachment:
Garcia easel card ABU Hi-Fi 0.75 oz front.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:15 pm • #  

Hi John,

Thanks for sharing your information.

The Hi-Fi is indeed a very special spinner.

I have been watching one of the movies here on the Mitchell forum:

<Old Movies on Garcia, Mitchell, Abu and Conolon> <Johnny Dieckman Demonstrates Bait Casting>

In this movie dated 1956, Johnny Dieckman is casting the 1/2 Oz Hi-Fi.

However, I do not know how long the Hi-Fi was produced?

Cheers,
Jens

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:27 pm • #  

Hey Jens,

Thank you for mentioning the Johnny Dieckman Demonstrates Bait Casting film. I hadn’t watched that one before (although I had watched his Spin Casting film). Indeed, Johnny Dieckman is using a
½ oz Hi-Fi!

In that JD Bait Casting MRM thread, I see there was some discussion whether the film was from a later date than attributed. I would tend to agree the film was later. It is of course quite possible, an expert fisherman and consultant could have been given an advance copy for field testing and feedback (I believe this is an industry common practice today). However, since the lure is mentioned by name for the consumer, it would have to have been available for purchase at that time.

The earliest I remember seeing the Hi-Fi in Garcia catalogs is 1959 [keeping in mind ABU made this lure only for Garcia (USA)]. I do have a scan I made some time ago, please see below a partial page from the 1959 Garcia Trade Catalog. And, that is for ¼ oz Hi-Fi lures only – no ½ oz lures yet! Give me a couple of days to review my catalog library to find the end date of sales, as well, to confirm the start date.

John
Attachment:
5900 Garcia Trade 023 Hi-Fi.jpg

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:00 am • #  

Hi John,

Thanks for sharing:-)

Wonderful display from your catalogue.

Cheers,
Jens

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:59 pm • #  

Hey Jens,

Thank you. I am glad you are enjoying.

I just realized not even Wayne Real's ABU site had much detail on the Hi-Fi - which now may be updated in a few weeks. I did a review of the Hi-Fi for Mates and myself, which is best placed in a new MRM thread: Garcia’s ABU Hi-Fi Spinner

John

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:40 pm • #  

Hi John,

Very good idea with an individual post with Garcia's ABU Hi-Fi spinner, much appreciated.

For Reflex, as far as I remember I have a "Sleeved box" from the time Garcia had their offices in New York, and have other Reflex items labelled with Alfred Avenue, Teaneck, N.J.

However, I am missing some information about when Garcia moved from New York to N.J. ?

Cheers,
Jens

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:08 pm • #  

Hey Jens and Mates,

Below is a list of Garcia addresses I made based on magazine advertisements and catalogs.

1953 & earlier: 53 Park Place, New York, New York - Charles Garcia

1954: 268 Fourth Avenue, New York, New York - Charles Garcia

1956-December: 268 Fourth Ave., New York, NY - Garcia Corp.

1963: 329 Alfred Ave., Teaneck, New Jersey - Garcia Corporation

John

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:10 pm • #  

Hi John,

Thanks, much appreciated.

Now I should be able to date this item.

Cheers,
Jens

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:12 pm • #  

Hey Jens,

Wow!

That’s an excellent condition 311K foldout cardboard sleeve – hard to find any excellent condition examples of the Garcia fold-up-to-display sleeves of that era. I have a 311K sleeve of your type, but I needed to use book binder’s archival tape to join 2 rips/tears – so, by definition, mine is poor condition.

I also have an earlier 311K cardboard sleeve by Garcia Corp. (good to poor condition) that is just printed text – no illustration to foldout for display.

The 311K, by Garcia Corp., was first cataloged in the 1957 Garcia Trade Catalog.
Attachment:
5700 Garcia Trade Catalog 020 ABU Reflex.jpg

The foldout display of the 311K was not shown until the 1959 Garcia Kits Booklet and the 1960 Garcia Trade Catalog.
Attachment:
5900 Garcia Kits Booklet - ABU Refelex.jpg

Attachment:
6000 Garcia Trade Catalog 021 ABU Reflex.jpg

So, a safe bet is your cardboard sleeve is from 1959 or a few years later.

I need to review my catalogs for the end date of 311K. However. we do know the NY address changed to NJ in 1963. So, until the range is narrowed by further catalog review, we might expect your sleeve is from 1959-63.

John

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:46 pm • #  

Hey Jens,

Below is a scan of the top of my first version Garcia Corp. 311K cardboard sleeve. (I should mention, prior to this, Charles Garcia had a combination Reflex/Veltic kit = 309K.)
Attachment:
Garcia ABU Reflex Kit 1st sleeve.jpg

Based on review of my catalog library, the 311K lasted until 1963, when Garcia introduced a new type of cardboard sleeve, that was amber-colored (see catalog image below) and also functioned as a pegboard card. These kits were numbered: 87**.
Attachment:
6300 Garcia Trade Catalog 024 ABU Reflex.jpg

The 87** numbering persisted in Garcia catalogs until 1976, the last year for Garcia’s ABU Reflex kits. However, there had been a switch to a light-blue-colored sleeve, which was not pictured in my Garcia Annuals (for fishers/consumers). I don’t have Garcia Tackle Catalogs (= trade catalogs) from the late 60’s to late 70’s. So, I cannot pinpoint the color change date – however, I may be able to do so from other lures packaged as such. Or, perhaps a Mate with some Garcia Tackle Catalogs could help here?

The composite image below shows the 3rd and 4th version sleeves.

John
Attachment:
Garcia ABU Reflex Kit 3rd+4th sleeves.jpg

Page 1 of 1   [ 25 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply