Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 28 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:04 pm • #  

Hello Mates,

I thought I'd start a thread on all of the reference material / publications out there to inform all of the Mates on what is available to better inform or educate themselves. Admittedly there is a wealth of information on the interweb but I'm a book guy and maybe some of you are too - I also like to hold it in my hand and not have to do a massive search, punching buttons to find information again - maybe (probably) I'm just "old school" :sHa_biggrin: .
Please keep in mind that no publication is perfect - it's the best information that the Author had at the time based on their best efforts and as more information becomes available through other's research and more information/facts evolve, some of the information may not be current to date. The Authors, I'm sure put forth their best effort to educate and inform us all - for that timeframe.

So to start. Probably one of the most important and informative books ever written about the Mitchell reel and it's history.
The Mitchell Classic 300 Spinning Reel, written by our own Wallace Carney and published in 2010.
Attachment:
The Mitchell WC.jpg

I have two copies of this book; One is my collection hard cover copy and the other is a soft cover "working" edition. I refer to this publication regularly, not only for Mitchell 300 information but much of what Wallace has written applies to other Mitchells as well.
Attachment:
The Mitchell WC 1.jpg

Attachment:
The Mitchell WC 2jpg.jpg

This book is out of publication but can still be found - it won't be inexpensive but for any enthusiast/collector, I think this is a "must have" - IMHO. There is a wealth of information here.

Mates, please contribute your reference material/publications. I've got a bunch more which I'll post but there are many publications out there that many of us may not know about.

Best,
Chris

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:42 pm • #  

Hi Mates,

This is another "must have" collector/enthusiast publication, Written by the late Dennis Roberts...He authored several Collector Guides, but I think this is his most comprehensive work. Mitchell Collector's Value Guide 1937- 2000, written by Dennis Roberts and published in 2006.
Attachment:
Collector Guide DR.jpg

Attachment:
Collector Guide DR 1.jpg

Again, out of publication but can be found occasionally and well worth the price. It lists most all of the Mitchells and their various versions. The price ranges are dated but still a great reference. I have used this book extensively.
Attachment:
Collector Guide DR 2.jpg

Just a wealth of information in this book!

Regards,
Chris

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:23 pm • #  

Hi Mates,
I've been out of town on business and haven't been able to add to the thread so here's a couple more.

This is the "First" Edition by the late Dennis Roberts. I "" First because he actually published an earlier collector's reference. They are exceptionally rare as he printed only a very few - low double digits :sFun_shocked: . I know of only one person who has a copy and I have never actually seen one.

Anyway, the Mitchell Collector's Reference Guide, written and published by Dennis Roberts in 2000 is an excellent reference. There are a few mistakes in this book but we must remember how much has been discovered and documented in the last 20 years - a great piece of work regardless. They are not an easy find but do show up from time to time - an excellent addition to any Mitchell library.
Attachment:
Collector Ref DR.jpg

Attachment:
Collector Ref DR 1.jpg

Most of the Mitchell models/versions/variations are covered up to 2000. There are photos, specifications and notes on each reel.
Attachment:
Collector Ref DR 2.jpg

Another great Mitchell reference.

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:49 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Chris,
Thanks for adding this string. It is an invaluable addition to the Museum, plus we'll know who to ask questions to. ;) ;)

Regards,
Ted

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:26 pm • #  

Thanks Ted :sFun_rofl: . Always happy to answer any questions that I can and research those I can't.

Here's another that I consider a "Must Have" reference. A wealth of information and also applies across many of the Mitchell models. Also contains a very informative reel dating guide for the mid size "egg" body Mitchells - 300, 330, 400, 440 etc.

This is the Mitchell 300 Boxes, Identification & Dating Reference 1946 - 2008 by Mike DiMattio. Published in 2008. This is also quite hard to find but seen occasionally and I highly recommend adding to your reference library. It's one of my "Go To" books.
Attachment:
300 Boxes MD.jpg

Attachment:
300 Boxes MD 1.jpg

All of the Mitchell 300 boxes are described to include a discussion when significant changes were made. Very well written and informative with photo examples.
Attachment:
300 Boxes MD 2.jpg

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:48 pm • #  

Hi Mates,
A couple more references for the collector/enthusiast.

This is one of the earlier books about Mitchell reels and remains an excellent reference. Although a small paperback (28 pages) and a supplement, there is a lot of interesting information.
Mitchell Birth of a Legend, A Collector's Guide by Barry Frewing and published in the UK in 1996.
Attachment:
Birth of a Legend BF.jpg

Attachment:
Birth of a Legend BF 1.jpg

Attachment:
Birth of a Legend BF 2.jpg

This book contains a history of Mitchell, production numbers, patent information and the supplement refines production numbers/dates and dating of the mid size egg body Mitchell.
These books are still available and not very expensive through a second printing in 2005.

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:10 pm • #  

Hi Mates,
Another excellent reference especially for the auto-bail Mitchell enthusiast, but will interest all Mitchell collectors/enthusiast.
The Mitchell Match and Auto Bail Book, written by our Mate, James Partridge and published in the UK in 2009. Our Mates Wallace and Christian also provided photos for this publication.
Attachment:
Auto Bail JP.jpg

Attachment:
Auto Bail JP 1.jpg

Attachment:
Auto Bail JP 2.jpg

Much of anything you wanted to know about the Mitchell auto bail is contained in this book. Also the photographs are beautiful. Very well written and a "Must Have" for any enthusiast of the 330/440/540/840 and Match reels.
James has also written the Collector's Guide To The Mitchell Ultra-Light Spinning Reel and the Mitchell Part Number Cross Reference Book. I don't have these books in my collection but if they're anything like his The Mitchell Match and Auto Bail Book, they will be well worth finding.
Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:44 pm • #  

Hi Mates,

The late Ben Wright is known world-wide for his expertise and documentation of spinning reels. Most collectors and enthusiasts of spinning reels of all types will recognize him as "The" expert on spinning reels. He wrote extensively on the history, evolution and the companies that produced spinning reels throughout the world.
Attachment:
Wright Guide.jpg

Attachment:
Wright Guide 1.jpg

Attachment:
Wright Guide 2.jpg

While he didn't write exclusively about the Mitchell, he has well documented their reels and some of the Company history (as we all know, Mitchell was a leading force in the development and production of the spinning reel). I haven't found Ben's first edition in the condition I'm looking for yet but his books are readily available on the interweb - a worthwhile investment for any collector/enthusiast.

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:20 pm • #  

Hi Mates,

Here is a very interesting book, The Mitchell Story written for the National House of Water and Fishing by Joel Monti and published in 1992.
Attachment:
Mitchell Story.jpg

Attachment:
Mitchell Story 1.jpg

Attachment:
Mitchell Story 2.jpg

There's only one problem - I don't read, write or speak a bit of French......The book has cool pictures though! :sFun_rofl: . Actually, I have transcribed select paragraphs and translated them so I can understand them. It is an excellent documentation of the history of Mitchell up through the late 1980s. It definitely reflects the national pride of France and her people in the Mitchell brand history - and rightfully so in my opinion :tup . It's a very nice addition to my library.

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:49 pm • #  

Hi Mates,

Here's a later entry in Mitchell documentation - probably the latest.
Mitchell A "Class by Itself" 1939-1978, written by Paul J. Hyde Jr and published in 2013. This book is still available.
Attachment:
Class by Itself.jpg

Attachment:
Class by Itself 1.jpg

Attachment:
Class by Itself 2.jpg

This book contains a lot of information and while I would never disparage another persons work; in my opinion, not much new/original material if you have read or possess the aforementioned books. If you don't or haven't, it's probably a good basic start to your library of reference material.

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:14 pm • #  

Hi Chris,

A great topic on Mitchell Reference Material,
Could you let me know where I could get a copy of Mitchell A Class by Itself by Paul J. Hyde Jr please as I have most of the material on Mitchell`s and am missing this one!!.

Regards James.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:45 am • #  

Hello Chris,

In addition to your books, a few other books that I own.
One of James Partridge (2010) on Ultra-Light
One of Luc de Medts, the first on Mitchell (1999)
One of Wallace Carney & Barry Freewing (2006) Rebirth of a Legend
One of the Municipal Archives of Cluses (1993) on the Carpano Ets
And finally a book made in two copies by myself in 2003, when my knowledge was less than now

Best Regards
Christian
Attachment:
Livres Mitchell0001.jpg

Attachment:
Livres Mitchell0002.jpg

Attachment:
Livres Mitchell0003.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:50 am • #  

Attachment:
Livres Mitchell0004.jpg

Attachment:
Livres Mitchell0005.jpg

Attachment:
detail 330 CL.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:27 pm • #  

Adding a reference work by Bernard Caminade. I do not own and have not read this book, but it comes highly recommended.

The book has an extensive section on Mitchells covering all of the models and also covers most French reels including the original CAP and Pecos reels. The book is in French, but the important parts are easily understood.

If anyone is interested, PM me, as I can provide purchase details. It is about $50 US, or so.

Sandman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:06 am • #  

Hello Sandman,

The book of Bernard Caminade that you quote is indeed a very good book for the knowledge of all the old French reels.
Very well documented with many photos and rarity index.
Bernard Caminade helped to popularize French reels and his books are the bible of French generalist collectors.
Other authors have published manufacturer-specific books (Luxor, Mepps, Bretton, UK, Louis Perrot, Reflex, etc.)
Since 1994, the first published book, this one has been modified and updated. Attached is the six editions.
From 2004, I collaborated on the Mitchell part of these publications, most of the photos are of my reels
Best regards,
Christian

Attachment:
livre cam.jpg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:44 pm • #  

Christian, thank you for expounding on Caminade's work, and providing the other authors too. I wish I had all those in my library.

Thought I would provide a little more color on the work Dennis Roberts completed that Chris Shannon mentioned earlier.

Dennis finished work on a book and a two volume set in early 2008. There were only twelve copies produced, which were directly issued to the Mitchell aficionados who collaborated with Dennis on the book. This set was the culmination of Dennis' long and passionate career of collecting and studying Mitchell reels. The set was intended to be updated every six months, by Dennis, in the form of addendums, based on new information. New pages were to be sent out to each of the twelve owners of the sets, who in turn were to insert the updated info in a third volume specifically designed (also to be sent approx six months after the initial release) for the addendums. The first two volumes were three ring binders which were already full.

One of the collaborators, Mike DiMattio, was to send an accompanying CD that he created, sometime after the original release. I do not know if this was ever sent.

I've attached photos of the book and two volume set. This set was initially provided to Barry Frewing and subsequently (after Dennis' passing) to a fellow Mitchell collector.

Since this reference material was never made available to the general public, it does not directly help even the serious collectors of today who were not issued the set, though I imagine much of the information has permeated through the community via the collaborators of the work.

IMHO, I don't think it's a stretch to say this is one on the top collectible reference books and for that matter, Mitchell items, including reels.

Sandman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:15 pm • #  

Hello Sandman,
I know this book to be one of the twelve recipients.
I have the copy 8 of 12.
Regarding the part made by Mike Di Mattio, Dennis sent, some time after the sending of his book, perforated sheets (same format as his book) to update his book in two volumes, 70 sheets with the same information than his book.
Best regards, Christian

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:56 pm • #  

Christian, thank you for the clarification. I figured you were one of the twelve recipients.

Below is the first page with security seal.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:10 am • #  

Hello Sandman,
Just two photos to confirm my previous message.
Best regards,
Christian
Attachment:
PAGE GARDE.jpg

Attachment:
DIMATTIO.jpg

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:29 am • #  

Chris,
I wanted to add my thanks for another fantastic post. I am really enjoying this thread and wanted to contribute by adding photos of another version of Wallace Carney's: The Mitchell Classic 300 Spinning Reel book I found. This version includes his famous "Dating Reels By Serial Numbers" guide, adding 3 pages to the original.

Thanks again Chris and all the Mates who contributed. :sFun_bananachaplin:
Kind Regards,
Bill :tup

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:38 pm • #  

Hi Sandman, Christian and Bill,

Thank you all for contributing references - more great works and sources of information for the Mitchell collector.

James, Last I looked, "Mitchell a Class by Itself" was available but now I cant find one anywhere - I'll keep looking and let you know.

Bill, I've never seen the "Special European Version" of Wallace's "The Mitchell Classic 300 Spinning Reel" a great find.

Christian and Sandman, That very rare Dennis Roberts Limited Presentation Edition is a treasure! I knew that they existed and I had a pretty good idea that Christian was a recipient of one of them but have never seen photos....Thank you both for sharing wonderful photos. Those books are truly the "Holy Grail" of reference material......Mates, you will not see a rarer publication on Mitchell Reels.

So with that, another couple submissions of Mitchell reference publications - much, much less rare but the only one's I've seen and none since. I've posted these elsewhere in other threads but wanted to include them here.

This is the Mitchell Fishing Reels, Genuine Spare Parts List, 1992-1993 Season published by Wallace Carney for the Mitchell Museum which I believe is from 1992.
Attachment:
Parts List.jpg

Attachment:
Parts List 1.jpg

Attachment:
Parts List 2.jpg

This book lists all of the modern 6 digit part numbers, and most importantly, what the part is, what it is made out of and the reels that the part was used in. I have used this book many times - a great reference.

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:49 pm • #  

Hello Mates,

This is the Mitchell Vintage Fishing Reel Schematics - Study Guide published in 2008 by Wallace. It is a wealth of information, containing all of the schematics/changes for each Mitchell reel model, a parts cross reference for the old up to 3 digit part numbers and a production numbers sheet for all of the Mitchell reel models.
Attachment:
Schematics Book.jpg

Attachment:
Schematics Book 1.jpg

Attachment:
Schematics Book 2.jpg

Another great reference that I think would be an essential part of any Collector's library....It covers them all.

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:06 pm • #  

Hello Chris,

In addition to your information on spare parts prices, this is the same price as Wallace in French but for the 1991/1992 season. 175 pages of references with prices in FF.
Also in photo tariffs 1960 - 1960/1961 - 1961 and tariffs from 1971 to 1975.
I also have many price sheets of different years with sales prices to sellers of fishing equipment and the resale price advised to fishermen.
These tariffs and the many invoices to the fishing equipment vendors allowed me to make tables with price changes year by year.
Again, just a little bit of information from my knowledge of Mitchell.
Best regards,
Christian
Attachment:
tarif 91920001.jpg

Attachment:
tarif 91920004.jpg

Attachment:
P1220343.JPG

Last edited by Laroupane on Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:09 pm • #  

Attachment:
tarif 60610004.jpg

Attachment:
tarif 60610005.jpg

Attachment:
tarif 60610001.jpg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:55 pm • #  

Christian, the 1960 tarif pamphlets are fantastic. I believe Tarif (Rate) refers to what the US calls "wholesale price", or cost to dealer. How much was the tarif for a 308 in 1960?

Sandman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:34 pm • #  

Hello Sandam,

The price on these tariffs is the price for the sellers of equipment Mitchell including the TVA, tax perceived by the French State.
The price reduction for the purchase of several reels is as follows:
8% for 12 reels - 10% for 20 reels and 12% for 50 reels
The price of a 308 with two spools (small capacity and large capacity) in 1960 is 36,50 FF
Always happy to answer your questions,
Christian

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:56 pm • #  

Thank you Christian. I understand now.

Sandman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:53 pm • #  

Hi Mates,

Thank you all for the fantastic contributions! My initial goal for starting this thread was to give all Mates some idea of the material that was available to enhance their collection or even their enthusiasm in the Mitchell brand. So here are a few others.

The Garcia Fishing Annuals were published from 1958 to 1980. I have them all - which was no easy task :sCh_taz: . These magazines were available by subscription, at your local news stand or at authorized dealers. They contained fishing articles/stories, advertising and new products.....Great additions to your library and available on the "big site" for an average of around $12.00 a copy.
Attachment:
Garcia Annuals.jpg

Next are the Trade Magazines, these were for the Garcia Mitchell Dealers - especially the early versions. These started in 1950/52?? They documented the newest available products (rods, reels, lures, line etc.) and while they were annuals, they also had mid year updates as Garcia and products evolved. Prices were wholesale and included displays/advertising etc. A wealth of information. I have many of these but not all yet, these are harder to find than the Fishing Annuals and usually demand a higher price.
Attachment:
Garcia Catalogs.jpg

And finally was the Spin Fisherman. These were marketing publications to attract more Fishermen/Fisherwomen to the Mitchell spinning scene. They were published in the 1950s and contained advertising, stories, fish recipes, photos of Mitchell Fishermen/women with their catches etc.. They were available by subscription and are quite hard to find but great little magazines, especially to get a flavor of what spin fishing was like back then.
Attachment:
Spin Fisherman 1.jpg

Other Mates have recently provided excerpts from the Spin Fisherman in other threads.

Mates, I started this thread because I don't think anyone can have too much reference material...knowledge enhances the collecting experience and allows for "smart" decisions. Thank you to all who have contributed to expand all of our knowledge - many which I have never seen before either. I only have a few other references so please Mates, add to expand our knowledge and understanding of the Mitchell brand and history. We don't know what's out there if we've never seen it.

Kind Regards,
Chris

Page 1 of 1   [ 28 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply