what is the simplest Mitchell spinning reel to work on?

Discussions on How to Service Your Mitchell Reel and more...
hillbillyfisherman

what is the simplest Mitchell spinning reel to work on?

Post by hillbillyfisherman »

I have just started collecting vintage reels, but I am not very mechanically minded LOL.

thanks!

allansharkey

Re: what is the simplest Mitchell spinning reel to work on?

Post by allansharkey »

Hi,

The 300 is the easiest, the 410 has different gears in the same order plus two bearings and are fairly straight forward, the match and 440a and all the auto bails a little more complex around the bail trip area, I find the 300s tricky, took a while to get the hang of them, the half bail is a fiddly reel.

I found using the schematic helps in all the reels, servicing helps gain confidence, there are some servicing videos on U tube if you get in to trouble, assembly is the reverse of dismantling obvious but do not rely solely on your memory take some pictures make some diagrams, I get a lot of reels that are assembled wrong, taking apart and putting together often solves the problem, close inspection of gears can show a missing tooth if a reel is lumpy when wound, if a reel does not work properly stripping it down will not solve the problem unless its put together wrong, so check out the U tube video it will help you, also this site. have a go the more you do the easier it gets, if you get in trouble ask the forum for help it always comes, Allan

GreatLaker

Post by GreatLaker »

hillbillyfisherman,
I don't know which model is the easiest to work on as I have not worked on all of the many models. ;)

If you learn to master the Mitchell 300/301 model reels, then you will also know most of what there is to know about working on the: Mitchell 300C/301C, 300DL/301DL, Otomatic, 330/331, Rapid, 350/351 400/401, 410/411, 410DL, 440/441, 440/441 Match, Garcia Mitchell Match (no 440/441 engraved), 500, 510, and 540. The Mitchell 300A and the 300Pro model reels would also be included in this list with a few minor variables.

I agree with allansharkey, find an "Owners Manual" with a schematic for each reel you will be working on to serve as a ready reference while you are taking the reel apart and putting it together.

Caution, not all U-tube videos are good, some are horrible. I recommend caution when choosing one to follow. All of the videos by "The Mitchell Reel Museum" (aka Wallace Carney) are superb, in my opinion, and I studied them closely. They are listed as by Mitchell Reel Museum. :banana-wrench:

Here are links to some of the Mitchell 300 model reels on U-tube but there are others models shown on U-tube as well:

Garcia Mitchell 300 Reel Annual Service Repair, by Mitchell Reel Museum
"This video on Garcia Mitchell 300 Reel Annual Service Repair shows what you should do annually depending on use and care..."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yfw_5-rYKng

Garcia Mitchell 300 Reel Bail Wire Service Repair, by Mitchell Reel Museum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_muYtp4J5f4

Garcia Mitchell 300 Fishing Reel Head Service Repair, by Mitchell Reel Museum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EujtRQNFms

Kind Regards,
Bill :D

hillbillyfisherman

Post by hillbillyfisherman »

thanks for the info!

Bonaventure

Post by Bonaventure »

If you do take on a 300, make sure that you find the shims, remove them, set them aside and replace them where they were found. They are easy to overlook.

G. Glen Simpson
Dartmouth, nova Scotia

don309

Post by don309 »

I feel that the 204 & 308 are the easiest. Many others are as easy. As stated careful of tearing down the 300. And a lot of the saltwater reels can be tricky with springs and spacers in the drag.

Not home retired and fishing! Or playing with my Mitchell's!
ffwayne

Post by ffwayne »

I have worked on 300, 304, 308, 324, 330, 408, 440, 441, 409, 510, 524, 540, 508, 810, and 840. Each has its unique quality and frustration. Pay heed to the warnings about the shims. I like to fish the autobails the most, thus I have an affinity for working on them. Plus, many people screw them up and make for easy purchase and fix. The 800 series I dislike the most. Take it slow and heed everyone's good advice. Do not be afraid to ask questions, we will all help you.

Schrack

Post by Schrack »

The winner is 304!!!!!!
302 would be the hardest.
Would say most are easy compared to most manufactors.

Bonaventure

Post by Bonaventure »

A couple of points on this, regarding the 300. One of the reasons it is a good one to start with is that there are more 300s around than any other Mitchell model. They are mechanically different and a bit more complex than other models, like a 304 or a 308 which have planamatic gearing. If you can overhaul a 300, the others will follow, for the most part.

The more important point, which regards shims is that the 300 is the basis for several other reels which would also use shims. The 330, 350, 400, the 900et al. When we say 300 in this context, we are talking about a family of reels, based on the 300 body.

I would like to see someone, more knowing than I, list those models with shims in this post.

The Mitchell reel is a feat of French engineering. The industry and distribution network employed hundreds of people. It has never been surpassed only squeezed out of the market by price based competition. Yet 35 years later it still mills on, supported by second hand parts, collected and used by discerning folks who wish they were still available new.

Glen Simpson
Dartmouth Nova Scotia

Bonaventure

Post by Bonaventure »

Looks like Bill has listed most of the 300 family in an earlier post on this thread.

Sorry about that

Glen

Schrack

Post by Schrack »

Just got into 306, Fellow saw me fishing with a 300 and asked if I repair Mitchells.
He had a bag with what was once a 306 (in Pieces) Told him I would do what I could but have not had a 306 before.
After some research had reel purring like a kitten again.
I think these can be ranked up top of the Easy Ones
Actually I think the 300 is a lot more complex with more moving parts. (But still Easy)