302 Drag Substitution

Discussions on How to Service Your Mitchell Reel and more...
schwamb1

302 Drag Substitution

Post by schwamb1 »

I'm a newbie here. I recently picked up two 302s, one functional and one as a parts reel. #1 was disassembled, cleaned and properly relubed. It works good as new. #2 was taken apart by the original owner and put back together minus a few parts. I could make it work 100% with the missing parts. My main concern is several missing drag washers. I only have the two washers that create the clicking when the spool rotates along with two keyed and one eared. My question is: Has anyone ever changed the drag setup over to the more common configuration in most modern reels like two keyed and one eared with carbon fiber, felt or leather discs in between? I do know that the overall thickness of the drag stack has to be within a limited range to work properly. I think this can work and I'll bet someone here has already tried it.

Schrack

Re: 302 Drag Substitution

Post by Schrack »

Penn drag dics are compatable, could not tell you the thickness.
Normally on the back of spool is a diagram of how they go together.
My opinion kinda of a crappy set up.
When I first rebuilt one think it took a six pack and learned some new curse words.
Of all the older Mitchell, I dislike the 302.
I will have to look in the files for the Name of guy that sells the drag washers.

Schrack

Re: 302 Drag Substitution

Post by Schrack »

The Fisherman is the one I ought from years ago he has two shops one in Fla. other in Del.
Good Guy.