1955 Mitchell, original parts?

Discussions on How to Service Your Mitchell Reel and more...
mitchell73

1955 Mitchell, original parts?

Post by mitchell73 »

MRMuseum:
I’m new to this forum, and have just started exploring vintage Mitchell 300s. In the 1970s my father bought me a 1973 model. A lot of great memories.
Today I just got a S/N 842644 Mitchell from a busy ebay seller. I like that it’s from 1955, but it appears that changes have been made to it. Based on photos of a late 4th version like this one, I see parts that do not belong with this S/N: The handle is from a later model, the spool is, too. (The bail wire is bent.) Also, Im not sure if the bottom of the housing for the spool should have one or two openings w/ little silver nobs showing: his one has one. Most importantly, the cranking is difficult with a slight grinding sound. I was ok with scratches if it was authentic from the 50s, hoping to experience a true 1950s Mitchell. I assumed it would be very smooth. If I open the cover, how do I tell if the parts inside belong with this model, and if it’s worth restoring?

Wallace Carney

Re: 1955 Mitchell, original parts?

Post by Wallace Carney »

Hello Mitchell73, :text-welcomeconfetti: to our forum!

I am so sorry you've had a negative experience just starting off collecting Mitchell reels. Without knowing a lot more about the reel you purchased, I'd have to say it's not in your best interest to restore a Mitchell 300 rather common reel. You'd probably end up spending too much more and you'd be running the same risk as, from what I see on eBay, you'll end up with scavenged used parts.

To make things right with you, I'd like to offer you a 1950's Mitchell reel at no cost except the shipping charge of about $12 depending on where you live. To put that in perspective, a bail wire alone would cost you more than that! Let me know and send me details in a private message.

Kind Regards,
Wallace

don309

Post by don309 »

:text-bravo: Very nice of you Wallace!

Not home retired and fishing! Or playing with my Mitchell's!
mitchell73

Post by mitchell73 »

Thanks a million, Wallace! I really appreciate it. :text-bravo:

Bonaventure

Post by Bonaventure »

If that reel functions, you can use it as a Fisher, or sell it as such.

Myself I only buy reels that I stumble upon. I have an ad at my tool crib for old French Mitchell Reels and occasionally i get one in, almost always a 300, Nova Scotia is 300 territory. I pay $10 for a Parts Reel, $30 for a complete functioning one and $5 for either an extra spool or a spool case. I have gone to ebay for some parts, like a body to replace one that was a complete reel with a broken foot stem, but I am generally able to get a reel working just with the parts i have accumulated. A .308in good condition I would pay more for.

I am not suggesting that you sell this reel to me, I only buy local ones, no shipping no customs that way.

It is a lot of fun and i am getting good at overhauling 300s. Mine are all fishers and I have painted the 6 that I own and the 3 that My fishing buddy has. So there is no question of collector value. I have also serviced Mitchells for a few other people. I own a functioning 304 and 308, which have good paint, so they have only been serviced.

:twocents-mytwocents:

G. Glen Simpson
Dartmouth, nova Scotia