spool won't release

Discussions on How to Service Your Mitchell Reel and more...
mitchell73

spool won't release

Post by mitchell73 »

MRM:

I just got a 1960 300 and the spool won't come off. The cover screws look like they've never been opened, but I guess I should get in there and take out the spool with the shaft. Also, it has bail problems: the lever is bent, it closes but doesn't stay open all the way, then continues to make the bail tripping sound each rotation.
For starters, any advice on getting the spool off?

Thanks

Ted Lanham

Re: spool won't release

Post by Ted Lanham »

Mitchell73,
:text-welcomeconfetti: to the Mitchell Reel Museum.
I've had 300s over the years that had spools that were a bit stubborn to get off, but ended up coming off. I assume that you pressed the round knob in the the center of the drag adjustment knob, if not try that. If you're already past that, sometimes you can put a drop a penetrating oil where the release knob is at, push the spool back towards the spinning head, then try the spool release again. I've never had one that wouldn't come off with a little wiggling.

Regards,
Ted Lanham

mitchell73

Post by mitchell73 »

Thank you! I'll try it.

Bailarm

Post by Bailarm »

I too have had just a few like this. It's probably caused by grit deep inside the spool...a cotton bud should get it clean.

You may have to strip the reel and put the axle into a bench vice with soft jaws. Press the button down hard whilst pulling the spool upwards.

Releasing/penetrating oil might help....or trombone slide oil ( sounds daft but it's so thin it gets inside anything!)

Take care not to pull the spool sideways at all...you have enough leverage there with that spool to bend the axle slightly..though that can always be corrected.

If it really won't come off don't despair. A replacement axle and spool would be easy to find

}<)))'> Bailarm
mitchell73

Post by mitchell73 »

Yes, all your advice worked. I was able to separate the spool from the axle after a shot of penetrating oil and removing it from the housing. The button was stuck and took some time to loosen up.

Thanks to Y'all!

Thomas

don309

Post by don309 »

Bailarm mentioned stripping the reel. If you have never done it, while it is not hard to do. But make sure yo examine all the part, especially under the gears, on the pinion gear. Their are shims in the reel and have to be put back in the same places.

Not home retired and fishing! Or playing with my Mitchell's!
Schrack

Post by Schrack »

To strip.
1/ Remove three screws.
2/ Remove cover hold on side and gears should stay intact.
3/Remove gear on shaft has three teeth which cause shaft to go in and out.
4/ Remove brass plate.
This should allow spool to come out attached to shaft.
After removal use a good rust buster on back side of shaft.
Will loosen up and take tension off the spool.
Worst case shaft and spool replaced.
If it comes off, I would clean shaft, using a fine Emory cloth or wire wheel.
Inspect and relube.
If you pull gears put back in reverse order of removal.

Bonanza

Post by Bonanza »

Another thought before stripping down the reel is to get a close diameter rod that matches diameter of spool button. Press firmly the button with the rod to see if it will release. Sometimes with older reels things dry out where fingers just cannot press firmly enough 👍