MITCHELL 486

Our Mitchell Museum gets many great questions we'll try to post here to help more than one person...
Bonaventure

MITCHELL 486

Post by Bonaventure »

Good Day Mitchell mates,

I was given a Mitchell 486 today. The reel is in very good condition, maybe excellent. Is this reel rare? Should I fish it or trade it to a collector?

The colour of the reel is a dark midnight blue, almost black. It has FRANCE under the foot. The Serial number is also there - 020722. The plastic drag knob looks like it has faded from black to a dull grey colour. The bail, anti-reverse lever, handle and sideplate screws are bright and shiny.

Does anyone have any advice for me on this reel?

Best wishes, plenty fishes

G. Glen Simpson
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

Bonaventure

Re: MITCHELL 486

Post by Bonaventure »

I guess I'll be fishing it.

Glen

Sandman

Post by Sandman »

Glen, not a particularly rare reel...I wouldn't worry about selling it to a collector unless it is in NOS or near mint condition, then there may be a collector who wants it.

Sandman

Bonaventure

Post by Bonaventure »

That was my thinking, I am not a collector.

there are not a lot of Mitchells here, other than 300s. a few 304, 308 etc. I have only seen a few salt water Mitchells, all 302 models. When this one was givwn to me, I thought it may be rare. Turns out, the guy that gave it to me bought it at the Carlisle Flea Market in Pennsylvania. He was down there for a Car Show. What a laugh.

Glen

Sandman

Post by Sandman »

You may want to give that person a nice Christmas present this year, those reels, in excellent condition fetch around $100 on ebay.

Sandman

Bonaventure

Post by Bonaventure »

I work with him and we swap favours back and forth. He is a year younger than me, we are the oldest 2 in the building. Sort of like Statler and Waldorf. He says he didn't pay much for the reel. He also gave me a 300 with the Boomerang anti reverse lever. The 300 is badly corroded. I will likely use it for parts, even though it does function well.

Thanks for the response.

Glen

Bonaventure

Post by Bonaventure »

Hi again,

I bought a ten foot rod for this reel, it seems to balance well. The rod is Bass Pro Shops’ house brand, Offshore Angler. I have the reel spooled with a heavy braided line. This all should suit the amount of Salt Water fishing That I do, maybe 3 times a season or so.

Best wishes to all.

Glen in Nova Scotia