Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:49 pm

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:02 pm • #  

Hi, I'm a first timer here so please bear with me , I live 20 miles south of Ensenada Mx. on the beach and have acquired several Mitchell reels in my years living here 2-386's a 387 a 303N and a couple of 302 salt waters my most recent acquisition is a 402 S/N 0819448 in really good condition and looks completely stock ,so my question is did Mitchell ever make 402 without the door knob crank knob as mine has the torpedo T knob complete with the screw dust cover , everything else is exactly right . Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. -- gls1934

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:19 pm • #  

Hello gls1934 ,Welcome to the MRM ,I'm sure you'll find or get an answer somewhere or from someone. As for myself I know if you go to the schematics section none of the 402 schematics show a torpedo knob ,there all doorknob style . That of course doesn't mean that it wasent changed by someone , I'm sure it's one of the simpler changes that can be done to any Mitchell reel even if it's only the knob not the complete handle,I'm sure you'll hear from other Mates and more than likely get a better answer from someone else.I hope you enjoy the MRM as much as all the rest of us do. Tight lines John in Pa.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:16 pm • #  

To my knowledge the reel came with a round knob handle and not Torpedo. The Torpedo was for the egg-shaped reel with the "400" designation. As anyone out there that has worked on these reels, many parts are interchangeable. I myself use a Torpedo handle on a 331 reel. Better grasp than the paddle.........
Kim :sCh_fisherman:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:59 pm • #  

Hello gls1934,

Welcome to the Group :sSig_welcome2:

I agree with John and Kim that the 402 originally came with the "coffee grinder" round handle but as Kim said these parts are easily interchangeable to the original owners desires.

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:34 pm • #  

Oscillator1 wrote:
Hello gls1934 ,Welcome to the MRM ,I'm sure you'll find or get an answer somewhere or from someone. As for myself I know if you go to the schematics section none of the 402 schematics show a torpedo knob ,there all doorknob style . That of course doesn't mean that it wasent changed by someone , I'm sure it's one of the simpler changes that can be done to any Mitchell reel even if it's only the knob not the complete handle,I'm sure you'll hear from other Mates and more than likely get a better answer from someone else.I hope you enjoy the MRM as much as all the rest of us do. Tight lines John in Pa.

Thanks , Oscillator1, my question was because of the pristine condition of the reel ,the only marks on it are where it attached to the reel seat. Here in Mexico is a good place to look for older Mitchell reels ,its near the border with a lot of American retirees and Mexican fishermen and most swap meets have some fishing gear but best of all is the price is right ,I don't think I've paid over $20 for any of my reels and this last one was $15 .
I hope this is the way to reply to your post , as I said I new at this and am just learning.--Gary

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:36 pm • #  

Hi gls1934 , Your reply is just fine , the one thing we look for is that everybody respects the opinions of the other members and keeps it civil. I guess now I'll have to plan a vacation to Mexico and stroll around some of those yard sales trying to beat you to some of those cheap reels LOL. John in Pa.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:59 am • #  

gls1934, The serial number on your 402 indicates that it is a VERY early first version, probably made in 1963 or possibly 1962. However as pointed out in previous posts, the handle should be a round knob.

There is a difference between the first version and later version handles. The most noticable is the blind holes drilled in the back side of the knob only on the first version. Other differences are the lack of a dust cover on the first version and the fine knurling on the handle counterweight. Here is a comparison:

It sounds like you have a nice reel there. It would be worth it to go on a search for a first version handle.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:32 pm • #  

dolphin3111 wrote:
gls1934, The serial number on your 402 indicates that it is a VERY early first version, probably made in 1963 or possibly 1962. However as pointed out in previous posts, the handle should be a round knob.

There is a difference between the first version and later version handles. The most noticable is the blind holes drilled in the back side of the knob only on the first version. Other differences are the lack of a dust cover on the first version and the fine knurling on the handle counterweight. Here is a comparison:

It sounds like you have a nice reel there. It would be worth it to go on a search for a first version handle.

From the info you've supplied it appears my reel has the 2nd version crank with a torpedo knob on it , will look around for a original crank assembly for it . Thanks for the help --Gary

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply