Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:00 pm • #  

Hi Mates,

I just received this 1952 Garcia Tackle Catalog and found this ad for the Mitchell Saltwater with the artist depiction of the famous 2 screw half-bail Saltwater reel. I can imagine that $37.50 in 1952 was a pretty hefty sum of money for just about any fishing reel - even a 2 screw :eek . An interesting catalog - like a walk back in time......before my time!

Regards,
Chris

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:56 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hi Chris,

Ah the two reel that is considered an "artists" rendition of the 1st version saltwater reel. The two screw reel is a myth. The half bail Mitchell saltwater was only made for a short period of time. There was only 1 version to be quickly replaced by a full bail version. If you think about were the placement of those screws are it would be almost impossible to function without jamming up. It is really a great photo and a great advertisement.
Cheers

Regards, Scott

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:16 pm • #  

Hi Scott,

I completely concur. From a mechanical engineering standpoint, it would be impossible to seal a reel of that size with only two screws - not to mention the thin plate on the back. We have to remember that this is essentially a "sandwich" reel, so I don't think that as smart as the Mitchell engineers were, would have attempted to clamp two relatively large pieces of aluminum together using only two screws and expected it to stand up to heavy saltwater applications - exposure to saltwater and beach sand. Here's my "3rd" Version Saltwater half-bail and it's built like a tank :yay . Can't see Mitchell engineers / designers doing otherwise when you take into account of all of the other phenominal reels they made.

Best Regards,
Chris

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:27 am • #  

Well Mates after a great discussion with another and significantly more experienced Mate, we've come to the consesus that this Mitchell Saltwater is most likely the first version. Produced only for a short time and quickly converted to a full bail. Would love to hear other opinions...that's how we learn.

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:40 pm • #  
Administrator

Hey Chris,

Sorry I've not been around too much lately, still rebuilding the Mitchell Reel Museum...

Yes my friend, that is a very nice 1st version Mitchell Salt Water. I've never been able to track down a starting date on this version but for sure the 2nd version started in 1953. This can be confirmed in our Garcia advertisement gallery.

All the best,
Wallace

Like Using This Site? Please Support Us By Clicking The Link Below

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:34 pm • #  

This is a pretty neat catalog Chris. I too believe it is an artist rendition of the first version in order to get it in the catalog before production began. I'd like to see 1949 through 1951 catalogs! I imagine that the price was equal to a months rent in those days. I also believe there were two versions of the Salt Water Half Bail (not counting the artist rendition, I don't think it was an actual version). One with the regular foot and a Big Foot version. These are shown in the photo along with a later Full Bail version. I think I was 4 years old when these came out!

I think I found a way to determine if a PUM was factory intalled or not (when the box is not present). I think there was a special screw that held the counter weight on from the factory. A later PUM has the regular bail screw, which I think was to be re-used. The pictures may decide. I'm open to suggestions!

Randy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:10 pm • #  

Hi Randy,

Your Mitchell Salt Water / 302 Factory PUM assessment is very interesting and I think highly likely after seeing your Salt Water PUM. The PUM Conversion Kit (Right or Left Hand) first shows up in the 1954 Garcia Tackle Catalog. You are exactly right that the PUM Kits used the existing bail screw for the conversion as shown below.

Attachment:
Salt Water PUM.jpg

Attachment:
Salt Water PUM 1.jpg

This is a NIP Mithell Salt Water PUM Kit and the instructions clearly state to use the existing bail (#13) screw to mount the counterweight. Randy, the screw on your counterweight is definitely not a standard bail screw for a Salt Water bail and it appears to match the contours of the counterweight perfectly. I find it unlikely that "someone" would have a screw like that just hanging out in a spare nuts/bolts drawer - not impossible but IMO not very likely. Would be very informative if other Mates had similar counterweight screws on their Salt Water Mitchells - especially if it was in the original box with a factory PUM marking.

I also never realized that the Big Foot was available that early.
Great post :tup

Regards,
Chris

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply