Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:26 am • #  
Administrator

Hello Mates,

This reel is any Mitchell collector's dream! I would not be able to pay a fair price, but I know many who will! We need to find this!

ImageImage

Like Using This Site? Please Support Us By Clicking The Link Below

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:10 pm • #  

I agree we must find this reel.

I've spend time - with the help of many others - to track down: 2 engraved reels ( out of the known 5), 2 globals (out of the known 4) and the 1957 millionth ( out of the known 2). I've spent 3 years trying to find this reel but have failed to make any progress - if anyone can help then please let me know.

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:37 pm • #  
Global Moderator

I read the cover with interest, Garcia imported Mitchell reels in the early 1940's????????????? Is 1947 no longer regarded as the starting date for Mitchell?
Regards Roy

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 8:02 am • #  
Administrator

Hi Roy,

I was waiting for someone to catch that!

1990 Mitchell Catalog

This very rare catalog dated 1990 clearly shows a 3rd version Mitchell 300 series dated 1946 as well as the 1st version Mitchell 308 dated 1959. This catalog includes a letter from Mitchell Sports (Mitchell) dated November 29, 1989. In 1989 Mitchell made a Mitchell 300 Pro 45th Anniversary reel which you can read about HERE.

The Fisherman's Digest states the first Mitchell was imported in the early forties by Tom Lenk, founder of The Garcia Corporation. This ambiguous statement is misleading in so many ways but it also helps us understand marketing strategies Mr. Lenk used. With all due respect to him; yes he was the founder of The Garcia Corporation after he bought Charles Garcia Company in 1955, incorporated and did the name change which crossed over into the year 1956. Tom worked for Charles Garcia Company starting in the early forties until he was called to active military service. The owner then was Mr. Otto Gumprich who retired when Mr. Lenk took over the company.

The first Mitchell was mailed to Otto in 1940 from Paris, France by his brother Jules Gumprich who highly recommended this reel to be marketed. Due to the war and other reasons; this project was placed on hold until Tom returned and went back to work for Otto.. He was assigned head of their new department for fishing tackle based solely on the Mitchell and The CAP reels at first. In 1946 Mitchell started mass production of the 3rd version due to the order from Tom, this large "order" was the beginning of what is still referred to as the "30 Glorious Years" (1947 - 1977) which have a lot of bitter-sweet memories among and between the surviving families.

I know this is a brief summary of what really happened, but you can take it to the bank without question. There are so many other variations it is mind boggling. This is mainly due to speculation without substance and confusing "Garcia" history with Mitchell early years or better put; Carpano & Pons early years.

I'll start a new discussion thread on this topic and will gladly share what I know AND what I think.

Cheers,
Wallace

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:45 am • #  

Guys,

We still need to find the 1964 Fisherman's Digest reel --- any ideas???

Mike

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:05 pm • #  
Administrator

Hi Mike,

I'll try again but found out nothing from the previous venture. It would be a great find!!!

Regards, Wallace

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:31 am • #  

okay guys - i give up the 1964 is lost for all time it would have been good to get it into the museum

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:02 am • #  
Administrator

Mike! Give Up? Never!!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:35 am • #  

Hi Wallace & Mike,

The only time i would give up looking for the rod and reel combo is when i take my last breath, that way i would know i looked as hard as i could.

Regards martin

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply