What Does A Letter With No Numbers Mean On Foot

Our Mitchell Museum gets many great questions we'll try to post here to help more than one person...
rocks66ss

What Does A Letter With No Numbers Mean On Foot

Post by rocks66ss »

Question about Serial numbers. On the foot of this reel is just the letter S with no numbers, What does that mean? Shouldn't there be some numbers?

Thanks

Rocky

Ted Lanham

Re: What Does A Letter With No Numbers Mean On Foot

Post by Ted Lanham »

rock66ss,
:text-welcomeconfetti: to the Mitchell Reel Museum.
I don't believe there has been a definite explanation for just a single alpha character on a Mitchell reel seat. There has been some speculation that it was some sort of mark made the maker of the the reel body. As far as serial numbers, here's an answer that was provided for a similar question. "The earliest model Mitchells, usually half-bails models, didn't have serial numbers. Then as demand grew Mitchell started putting serial numbers on the back of the reel body. They can be very hard to see sometimes. Then later they put the SN on the reel foot. Also, if the reel body was a replacement part it wouldn't have a serial number. I hope this helps as far as SN information, but if pictures were posted an approximate date could be given based on the reel features."

Regards,
Ted Lanham

GreatLaker

Post by GreatLaker »

Rocky, :text-welcomewave:
I agree with Ted in that we really need to see a photo of the reel. It would be most helpful if your photos show both sided of the complete reel.
Kind Regards,
Bill

rocks66ss

Post by rocks66ss »

I don't mean to be dense but how do you go about uploading a picture?

Rocky

GreatLaker

Post by GreatLaker »

rocks66ss wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:25 pm I don't mean to be dense but how do you go about uploading a picture?
Rocky
Rocky,
Just go here: Group Instructions News & Events, :banana-tux: and read this:
https://mitchellreelmuseum.com/forum/vi ... 33b69bae55
Kind Regards,
Bill :D

rocks66ss

Post by rocks66ss »

Here's the deal. I broke the foot off my 56 300 and found a replacement housing that has the "Made In France" as you are looking at it on the right-hand side like my 56. It has no serial number, just the letter S.
Reel Foot.jpg
Reel Foot.jpg (32.72 KiB) Viewed 4120 times
The reel I bought looks exactly like mine only no S/N
Reel Back Side.jpg
Reel Back Side.jpg (49.98 KiB) Viewed 4120 times
Reel Side.jpg
Reel Side.jpg (54.45 KiB) Viewed 4120 times

GreatLaker

Post by GreatLaker »

Rocky,
Thanks so much for posting the photos!! :text-thankyouyellow:

I don't think you will find your serial number on the bottom of your reel foot. :o
In circa 1950 serial numbers were relocated from the bottom of the reel foot to the housing, on the upper portion of the side, opposite the handle. Serial numbers were inverted at first and remained that way for all 4th version (1951-1955) reels. The serial numbers remained inverted in this location up to around circa 1955. After then, they were turned right side up, during the 5th version (1955-1958) of the Mitchell 300 reel.

I learned the information above, and so much more, from Wallace Carney's book titled: The Mitchell Classic 300 Spinning Reel 1939 to 1989. In my opinion the finest book ever written on the subject and I highly recommend it to anyone.

Your cover plate also looks to be a 5th version cover plate. If you are interested you could carefully search in the area I indicated above for the serial number. I recommend using a magnifying glass as they can be very hard to see as Ted already mentioned.
By the way, you probably already know that your handle is not from a Mitchell 300 reel. ;)
Kind Regards,
Bill :D

Wallace Carney

Post by Wallace Carney »

Hello Rocky, Here's a picture of your reel with the serial number spot indicated by the red arrow...
file.jpg
file.jpg (56.33 KiB) Viewed 4093 times
Thanks to Bill, many thanks!

rocks66ss

Post by rocks66ss »

Many thanks for all the information you have provided on this forum. I purchased the reel shown in the pictures for parts and was confused because my 1956 300 that I broke the foot off, has the serial number on the foot, and this parts reel didn't. I assumed it was of the same generation as my 56 because the cover plate on the parts reel is the same and the Made In France in the same place on the right as my 56.

I haven't received the reel in the mail yet, when I get it I will let you know what I find out.

Rocky

rocks66ss

Post by rocks66ss »

Good Morning Wallace.

I received my parts reel in the mail this morning. You were correct, the serial number was where you indicated.
The serial number is 837184 what appears to be 1955. The housing should be perfect to fix my 1956 300.

Rocky

Wallace Carney

Post by Wallace Carney »

Hello Rocky, I’m so happy we were able to figure it out. Out of all the years Mitchell Reels were made, the 1955 is my favorite year of all. Sincerely, Wallace

Pratt2112

Post by Pratt2112 »

Wallace Carney wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:18 pm Hello Rocky, I’m so happy we were able to figure it out. Out of all the years Mitchell Reels were made, the 1955 is my favorite year of all. Sincerely, Wallace
Wallce, I own two 55's and they are some of the smoothest in my collection. Not sure why that particular year was "different" than any other but just my two cents.