How do you describe rotation

Discussions On All Vintage Mitchell Reels...
Baron2

How do you describe rotation

Post by Baron2 »

When looking at the face of your reels I would describe their rotation as clockwise or counter clockwise? How do you describe the rotation direction?
Some of you have heard me say that because of surgical procedures I am now more or less ambidextrous in that I can pick up a friends lefty Lucy or righty tighty rig and fish just fine.
Yesterday I went fishing with a 304 and a 300A. For the 300 it was the first time since I was 17 or 18. I had forgotten that they rotate backwards from most reels and was confused quite a bit by that feature. I found myself grabbing for the 304 whenever I could. Perhaps if it were a righthand retrieve 301 it would have been fine but not as it was as a 300 LHR.
I am wondering which Mitchells have clockwise rotation. I know the 302 and 304 as it have them but which others are this way? :text-feedback:

Baron2

Re: How do you describe rotation

Post by Baron2 »

Does 308/408 rotate clockwise?

Bonaventure

Post by Bonaventure »

I would say that rotation should be described by the clockwise or counter clockwise turn of the rotating head as the rod is normally held and from the rear of the reel.

That is the direction that the fisherman sees while the reel is being retrieved.

G. Glen Simpson
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

Baron2

Post by Baron2 »

Do you break you eggs on the small end or the large end?

Baron2

Post by Baron2 »

Perhaps my old joke goes to far. In Jonathan Swift's book, "Gulliver's Travels", the Lilliputions could'n agree on which way to do something. It seems reel rotation of Mitchells may be the same way. I like your way of thinking about the matter, thanks.

Baron2

Post by Baron2 »

Apparently I had offended some with my comment about the small end or the big and It was a reference from a famous book showing how it is hard to see everything eye-to-eye. My intention was to be light-hearted. It was not in any way intended as an insult. I greatly value this forum and in the future I will keep my comments direct and plainly coherent so that there won't be any distractions and we can all learn more about the wonders of Mitchell Reels.

Baron2

Post by Baron2 »

with the help of a friend I discovered that the 301, 302, 304, 308, 408, 908 all turn counter-clockwise. Perhaps all right hand wind as well turn that way.

Bonaventure

Post by Bonaventure »

:text-lol:

Hello,I just did not understand the joke, so I, for one, didn't respond. I was not in any way offended. I have never read the book.

My response was to put the rod and it's reel into fishing position and noting the rotation from there.

Best wishes

Glen

Baron2

Post by Baron2 »

Yes that is correct. Today I fish with two 8 yr old grandchildren. They will hold a 304 for the first time. They currently use Zebco 33's.

Schrack

Post by Schrack »

Clockwise or Counter Clockwise with reel in front of you as casting. Depending on model of Reel.

Bonaventure

Post by Bonaventure »

The 300 model, the by far most common Mitchell, has an extra gear in the main drive train that reverses the direction of the pinion gear, so it turns the rotating head in the opposite direction. Other Mitchells that are based on the 300 do likewise. They all have the geartrain mounted on the removable (3 screws) sideplate. The 308, 304 and others do not have the same mechanism.

The 300 main shaft is also held in place with a pin attached to the occilator plate, the 308 has a completely different design, with the occilation incorporated in the center of one of the gears. The 302, 308, 306 and other egg shaped reels have the sideplate on the opposite side of the handle, and nothing is attached internally to the sideplate. I believe this gives everything more strength, since the 300 is dependant on 3 small screws to hold the drive train in place.

I just realized that I open my egg (shaped 300 reels) at the small end, by removing the lubrication plug to add oil.
:text-lol:
That should be the answer to an otherwise cryptic............

Best wishes

Glen in Nova Scotia

Baron2

Post by Baron2 »

Lol. Funny now. Sorry that I gave pause.

These mechanical aspects are interesting. The 302 that I have seems nice enough but is too big for general use. I have squired 6 or so 300’s. I may use them as trading pieces to get into 308/408 sized reels.

Thanks for improving my grasp on these models.

Bonaventure

Post by Bonaventure »

Hello again,

I would keep at least one 300 with a few different spools, to have a general all around reel for various species. A shallow spool with 6 pound test line for trout. A deep spool with 10 or 12 pound test for bass, pike or walleye. Another deep spool with 17 pound test for carp or catfish.

A medium action 7 foot rod would be suitable.

A 308 is still classed as light action, good for trout and pan fish, although I caught a huge carp on mine with 4 lb test line. The 300 is really an all around reel.

Best to you

Glen

Baron2

Post by Baron2 »

you bet! I also have a 400 and a 410 I'll be keeping. 300's show up allot in my area and I may as well grab them. They fish well and are versatile.

Wallace Carney

Post by Wallace Carney »

Baron2 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:06 am Apparently I had offended some with my comment about the small end or the big and It was a reference from a famous book showing how it is hard to see everything eye-to-eye. My intention was to be light-hearted. It was not in any way intended as an insult. I greatly value this forum and in the future I will keep my comments direct and plainly coherent so that there won't be any distractions and we can all learn more about the wonders of Mitchell Reels.
Baron, I learned a long time ago to never try to be funny or tell jokes on the internet. Every time I did, I offended someone. I will say that I see nothing wrong with what you've said. Beware of what you say, but always be yourself.

Best Regards,
Wallace

Baron2

Post by Baron2 »

Good Advice!
Thanks

shootrj2003

Post by shootrj2003 »

I was also puzzled as to how you could possibly offend anyone with the statement much as if I were to say is your glass half full or half empty….oh no…I’ve done it now!

Schrack

Post by Schrack »

What ever way you are faceing.
Mitchell reels rotate in both directions..
Bathrooms flush different in Australia (ask Bart Simpson)
LOL