Picking a good one

Discussions on How to Service Your Mitchell Reel and more...
Baron2

Picking a good one

Post by Baron2 »

Good Evening Folks,
I always attend a local flea that has allot of 300's for sale. I like like one vendor and I always stop to look at his stuff. Recently I picked a bad reel that I thought looked okay or average. But we all know how it looked inside (for those that are new see "Transfer Gear Rub"). You folks have been in and out of these reels for years but I am new to the business of buying and cleaning these beauties. Perhaps we could come up with a "Mitchell Reel Buying Guide For Dummies"... A list for buyers to go by. What are the items you look at during the buying process that would sway towards a deal or cause you to steer clear?
Baron2

Fishabout

Re: Picking a good one

Post by Fishabout »

Hi good question, myself I try and buy from people I trust and have bought from before .
If it's via the bay study photos real well ask questions to the seller it doesn't take long to work out if they are genuine. New or mint in box is nearly always a nice sign ,do your research is the model a low production run or fill a gap in your collection and at the end of the day If you really want it and you are anything like me you will probably buy it. Cheers.

Ted Lanham

Post by Ted Lanham »

Baron2,
I'm not sure one could get a consensus of what to look for when buying reels. Fishabout covered ebay buying pretty well, especially it's good to study photos, and ask for more if there aren't many.
As for flea markets, I always carried a old rag in my pocket to, specifically, wipe the crap off. Sometimes, there can be a real jewel under the dirt and grim. I think the outside of a reel can, pretty well, match what the inside looks like. I have bought several 300s that I couldn't turn the handle. This can be just old grease or bad gears, and can be a gamble. Make them parts reels if the price is right.

Regards,
Ted Lanham

Bonaventure

Post by Bonaventure »

I read about fellow members getting Mitchell 300, 308 etc from flea markets and yard sales for $5 0r $10. They clean up and are usable. I wish I was able to make these sort of finds. I would pay that for any 300 just for parts, never mind one that will function.

Small parts that cost $5 or less have a $15 or so shipping fee for a Canadian seller, more for a US seller, then Customs. If a US source is unwilling to use the US Postal Service, a Courier charges about $50 for customs brokerage fees. If I need something from the Canadian ebay seller that I have used in the past, I usually get a reel from him and maybe some other items. He will consolidate shipping and his reels are always complete, functional and are cleaned and lubricated. I am thinking of getting a 302 for Christmas, if he has one.

Best wishes ain't this fun!!! :banana-wrench: :laughing-rolling: :banana-wrench:

G. Glen Simpson
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

Baron2

Post by Baron2 »

I am not so much of a collector as a user. I grew up in an historic area and love old stuff. I now can afford 2-300 dollars new reels but I cant buy sentimentality, original thought nor the old smell, sight and sound of old reels unless I go through this process with you all. I can buy them all frequently at 10-15 dollars. I have 5 and so far none are what I would call "like new" or "smooth". Couple of my 304 seem nice. I like them but they're not 300's or 308's. My intention is to tuneup old dried up reels and fish them. It would seem wasteful to me to buy collector grade 300's and scratch them all up by fishing them. I'm caught in the middle.
Is it impolite to remove side covers and to look inside when fix'in to buy an old beauty?
I never thought of asking the seller on eBay questions during the auction. Many of the auctions are 6-10 days long and that should be plenty to get some good answers.
I mentioned sentimentality. I try to find the oldest reels that are reasonable, technology wise, to fish, I have a Langley spinning reel and some original 1950's and 1960's zebco and Johnson spincast reels and they are all special and of much better quality than they're last or latest models that they made.
Would love to hear more. :text-thankyouyellow:

linewinder

Post by linewinder »

Bonaventure wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:06 pm I read about fellow members getting Mitchell 300, 308 etc from flea markets and yard sales for $5 0r $10. They clean up and are usable. I wish I was able to make these sort of finds. I would pay that for any 300 just for parts, never mind one that will function.
Seems same in my part of Virginia (to compare). Last I saw out in garage sales and flee markets were cheap plastic reels for more than the $5 or $10 and don't see these Mitchells.

Ted Lanham

Post by Ted Lanham »

Bonaventure,
It's a shame that it has become so costly to ship between the US and Canada. I feel your pain. I've run into a couple of guys from just North of the border that use friends on this side to get their stuff then they visit their friends. I guess that just works if you're close to the border. (Of course, with covid the border may not even be open, today. :cry: )

linewinder,
Mitchells aren't hard to find here in WVA, so I'm surprised that that they're scarce where you live.

Regards,
Ted Lanham

Bonaventure

Post by Bonaventure »

Hello,

Part of it is that few people seem to want to part with their Mitchell's. Most of the ones I have bought have been old reels that a relative left behind, now in possession of someone who doesn't fish. There are just under a million people in Nova Scotia, fishing is a way of life for a lot of us. Ergo, parts are hard to find.

Thanks for the understanding. I do have 5 serviceable 300s, a 304 and a 308, so I'm not Mitchell poor as far as functioning reels goes.

Best wishes to all.

Glen

Baron2

Post by Baron2 »

Glen,
Are you using Mitchells in saltwater? I wish Canada and USA had open trade but perhaps the current system keeps us honest in some way that we don't know. Wonderful country it is.

I had been thinking that if I get all the Mitchells that tickle my fancy I would soon enough know which was my favorite and then focus on that. But as usual it didn't work that way as it was hard enough just to find reels that work let alone one of each model.

Right now Im working on two 304 (Ilove these reels) and the Nylon blocks inside were corrupted. Found NOS parts and am waiting for them.

Fishabout

Post by Fishabout »

Hi Baron2 yes I agree fishing reels were made to catch fish and be used I have side cast reels I use that were made in the 40,s over here in Australia and when not in use they are on display shelf but there is something about finding a reel Mitchell in my case that is 30,40,60 years old that looks to have maybe never been used and some people had the foresight to keep the box I look at those reels in amazement thinking how the hell is that reel looking like it did when it left the factory in 2021.
Just my thoughts Cheers.

Baron2

Post by Baron2 »

So if the goal in the first place was to save old messy reels from the heap it seems that there is no real surefire was to tell a goody from a baddy other than trial and error. Easy to do and gain parts reels as well.

Bonaventure

Post by Bonaventure »

Hi Baron2,

To answer your question, No I only use my Mitchells in fresh water. One of the lakes I fish is tidal, so there is somewhat saline. The lake is about 11 miles long and I launch about 1/2 way down it and normally go up-lake to fish. Haven't had any corrosion issues.

One of my parts reels came from a fellow at work who lives on this same lake. it was corroded badly, he said it spent time in the bottom of a wooden boat parked behind his house. He lives a lot closer to the ocean than the area of this lake that I fish.

The lake is Porters Lake. they get Striped Bass in this lake, closer to the ocean. Years ago they had a population of Rainbow Trout in the lake. I mostly catch Smallmouth Bass. They are not native. This lake probably shows that Smallmouth have some tolerance to salt water. At the location that I have caught them, near where I launch, you can taste the salt in the water.

All the best

Glen in Nova Scotia

Baron2

Post by Baron2 »

I have a burning desire to catch Average N.Pike. I hope to use a Mitchell of some type to do so. I have a 302 but I don't care to cast that size all day. I have a 410 and 400 and am hoping it will clean up nicely. I want to get more repair time under my belt before I open them up. Don309 has been my inspiration so far, he lives closer than most of you, and I'll continue to watch him catch the white whales.
one of my 304 appears to have been left in water on one side as the paint is rough on the spool and bell. I replaced the spool and will eventually glass blast and paint the bell.
Nova Scotia seems lightly magical to me with harsh realities attached to it. It's on the short-list but it's a crowded short-list. Still I must visit. The layout of the land is similar in some areas to where I used to vacation from Bar Harbor to Eastport, ME, USA. No shortage of fishing opportunities. On porters Lake I bet the Salt line is constantly in a sort of flux given that the mouth faces south. I bet there can be allot of fetch there on a windy day.

Don Tyson
Eaton PA
Home of:
Larry Holmes
Crayola Crayons
Lafayette vs Lehigh Oldest Collegiate Football meet-up in the USA.
Original Canal hub for the first anthracite coal
On the Delaware
Split cane fly rods were invented here
An original proclamation of the declaration was read here
You can get anywhere from here and perhaps smart folks will :text-lol:

Bonaventure

Post by Bonaventure »

Hi again Don T.,

Where I launch, the lake is crossed by No 7 Highway, so there is only the Bridge channel just north and west. It seems to act as a barrier for tidal action, the lake is at it's deepest about a mile north of there. When there is a lot of rain, the flow through that bridge channel is pretty stiff, especially when the tide is going out.

We haven't been fishing there yet this year, my wife has been ill and COVID. Hope to get n some this month. We may do fall fishing for Smallmouth and Chain Pickerel. I have been in a sort of funk the last few months and can't seem to get started on things.

Next year will be better.

All the best,

Glen

Baron2

Post by Baron2 »

Funk, that's the term! I had Covid and now the Vax. So far so good. There ya go. You went and said it, Pickerel! That is my favorite here and my Big Bassy friends have a hoot chastising me for it. Many Basser's think the world should all be Basser's but I'm the exception....I like the Pike family and since there is nothing bigger in the Esox family to focus on I like Big Panfish and Pickerel.
Are there panfish, perch and so forth in there worth chasing. I like it when they visit for dinner or breakfast. They're always welcome.
Thomson, Conrad and Echo all seem inviting as well. Some year.
These lakes seem perfect for Mitchells.

Bonaventure

Post by Bonaventure »

Hi again,

I have caught a few Chain Pickerel, they are found in several lakes close to Dartmouth. They are fun to catch. Usually there are Smllmouth Bass in these same lakes.

There are no Crappie, Rock Bass, Bluegills etc in Nova Scotia. There are White and Yellow Perch and Brown Bullheads (though I don't know where).

Many lakes are stocked with Brook Trout, and there are wild Trout throughout the province.

Best wishes,

Glen

Schrack

Post by Schrack »

Well as what to look for.
1/ Rule, at flea markets and ebay, etc etc, most people do not have a clue as to what they are selling, so it is always buyer beware.
2/ To me a vintage reel is 56 and below.
3/ Know your Reels, like what Logo is on what years, I have seen a 54 stated, with a case of later production , Garcia Mitchell 3-0-0, which would not be on a 54. Or non butterfly anti reverse lever.
On the other hand, you find some good deals, from people who have no clue.
Generally if it works, or has a few noticeable flaws, for $5. You still get a good deal cause of the good parts that are on reel.
I have came across many ratty reels for cheap with nasty extiorer but insides are in great shape.
After all its only money, what the heck!

Baron2

Post by Baron2 »

I will just keep buying the ones I see for cheap from folks that don't seem to know what they are. I picked up three more this weekend for $5 ea. I'll be fishing a 304 and a 300A today.

Bonaventure

Post by Bonaventure »

Hi Again,

Just what I mean, 3 reels for $5 each. I usually offer $30CDN for a functioning 300. I would pay $40 for a good 308 or 314. I offered $50 to a lady for a Blue Mitchell 450? maybe. She declined because it belonged to her Grandfather, I understand this, she also fishes. I feel these are fair offers. Shipping from the source in Ontario is about $20, so it saves me that. His reels cost about what I offer.

I don't worry about the finish on a 300, I strip them down and paint them. None of the ones I have found are rare models.

I am thinking of trying to find a 300A, I believe they have a Stainless Steel bail which would be suitable for salt water.

Anyway, congratulations on getting good prices in your area.

Best wishes to mall

G. Glen Simpson
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

don309

Post by don309 »

May not be good one's, but the price was right FREE. From the young lady I met fluke fishing.
Top row left to right, 400 (no foot) will use some parts for 410, (2) 410's, (2) 300's
Bottom row, (3) 302's, the last one I'm not sure, but has a different style line guide. I think I can make 2 working 410's, (2) 300's Maybe 2 or 3 302's.
Also extra spools.
Attachments
Free reels.jpeg
Free reels.jpeg (68.41 KiB) Viewed 9799 times
line guide.jpeg
line guide.jpeg (40.48 KiB) Viewed 9799 times
line guide 2.jpeg
line guide 2.jpeg (47.62 KiB) Viewed 9799 times

Not home retired and fishing! Or playing with my Mitchell's!
Baron2

Post by Baron2 »

Thanks Glen for the congrats. I figure they're like trading pieces if nothing else. At best they're great fishing reels.
Don, Been to Columbus Lately. O yeah, that's right, Women flock to you offering you their reels, lol. I'm hoping to hit Columbus and also Jakes Flea again this year.

don309

Post by don309 »

Just been doing local flea markets.

Bonaventure

Post by Bonaventure »

Hi Don,

Looks like you did very well, 1/2 dozen functional reels and lots of parts.

Good for you :text-bravo:

Best wishes,

Glen

Baron2

Post by Baron2 »

I don't know if they're functional yet. The 300A is great but then the rest are in need yet of cleaning except the on I was told is not worth taking further. I love working on these things and see many a winter night of fun just ahead.

Bonaventure

Post by Bonaventure »

Hi Don,

Looks like you did very well, 1/2 dozen functional reels and lots of parts.

Good for you :text-bravo:

Best wishes,

Glen

Baron2

Post by Baron2 »

Don, could that guide be some sort of after market or is that part of the autodial feature?

don309

Post by don309 »

A lot of cross referencing between the 400 and 410 for parts. I did see a crack in the plastic at the gear on the axle, 1 400 part used :banana-dance: .
I don't really know, but I don't think it is after market.

Bonaventure

Post by Bonaventure »

I just realized that I did a double post, I hate when that happens.

Glen

ps, regarding Porter's Lake, N.S. It can get quite windy on this lake, but with all the turns in direction it makes, it is easy to go from a windy spot to a calmer area.

Baron2

Post by Baron2 »

It sounds Idylic. Are there many sailboats on it?

Sandman

Post by Sandman »

Don, that 302 has a manual pick up (PUM)…it’s an early 302…Likely an “A”series, if you check the serial number on the side cover…it has the original handle with no counterweight knurling…fairly uncommon…

Sandman

Bonaventure

Post by Bonaventure »

Hey Don,

Don’t paint that one!

Check out its collector factor.

:text-lol:

There are some sailboats, kayaks, canoes et al

Glen

don309

Post by don309 »

Thanks once again for the information Sandman!
Not being an avid collector or surf fisherman, I have no use for this reel. Having limited space in my apartment, I can't even keep it as a conversation piece. This is one I can't save :( . I have four of the later 302's, I may have enough parts to save a few. I'm thinking this being an early model, parts may be different than the models I now have.
That being said if anyone out there can give it a good home or use it for parts. Pay shipping. As seen in the pictures it has no A/R lever or A/R lever cam.
Attachments
1.jpeg
1.jpeg (143.62 KiB) Viewed 9733 times
2.jpeg
2.jpeg (192.66 KiB) Viewed 9733 times
3.jpeg
3.jpeg (138.48 KiB) Viewed 9733 times

don309

Post by don309 »

More pictures
Attachments
4.jpeg
4.jpeg (47.62 KiB) Viewed 9733 times
5.jpeg
5.jpeg (40.48 KiB) Viewed 9733 times

Sandman

Post by Sandman »

Hey Don, you are correct, while many of the parts cross over to later models, there are some that are unique to the early versions. It looks like the serial# is A32xxx, which places it in very early 1955 production, or, the 32,000th 302 produced out of 1.4M total...clearly this one, as were the majority, used in salt and not taken are of....that's Ok, parts reels are good to have too...sent you a PM.

Sandman