Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 20 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Custom Royal Javelin
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:21 am • #  

A very nice fishing rod was sold on Ebay the other day, it was a Custom Royal Javelin rod that was "Custom Made By Garcia".   Image

I was wondering if anyone could put an approximate date on this and/or add some information about it.   It looks to be a really nice rod!  Hope one of you mates bought it!

Best Regards,  Steve

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:40 pm • #  
Administrator

Hey Steve,

I'm glad I didn't see this, I may have spent money I don't have Image

I can only guess it was made prior to 1960, before the Garcia Conolon Corp was formed but don't know for sure...

Thanks for showing this Image

Regards, Wallace

"Greater is He that is in me than he who is in the world"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:00 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hi Steve, 

Yes I saw this rod on EBAY.  I am still crying in my soup, my bid was too low.  I thought it was marvelous rod.  I remember seeing some literature on Royal Javelin's with reference to the Sharpsooter line.  I just don't remember where I saw it recently.  I would agree with Wallace here and believe that it would have been made before 1960.  Thanks for sharing and starting this thread.    Happy Thanksgiving!

Regards,  Scott

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:19 pm • #  

My earliest CONOLON Catalog 1956, has the "sharpshooter" line of poles listed as followed. #'s- 7301, 7302, 7305, & 7306. Range from 6.5'-7'. All are natural color and take a MAXIMUM recommended line of 4# test. A maximum of 1/4oz lures too. All four have the slide-ring reel locks. Costs are from $19.95-$21.95. They were shipped with the cloth bag that you see in the auction picture and a fiber outer. Probably cardboard. The cardboard tubes for some of my early Conolon poles have the cardboard tube with a screw on lid in maroon color. Hope this helps..........
Kim

PS- In my 1957 catalog they only sold 3 "sharpshooter" model poles. #'s- 7305, 7306,7307. All $21.95. The 7307 was a 6' pole. Same specs as the others. Color is now Metallic Bronze. Also other nice accents including the FLEX Guides......................

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:19 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hey Steve,  I was going thru some of the adds you posted months back.  I found a 1956 May Sports Afield  add listing the Royal Javelin..Does not tell us exactly when the custom rod was made, but atleast we know they were made in 1956.  Regards,  Scott

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:22 pm • #  

Kim and Scott, Thanks for the info... we'll keep piecing this together over time until it makes a little more sense

My earliest National Rod Company (Narmco) Conolon catalog from 1952-3 doesn't show the Royal Javelin Rods, and my 1957-8 catalog doesn't either....
Kim.... is your conolon catalog Narmco or Garcia?, and Scott ... is the add from 1956 a Garcia ad? Are the Royal Javelin rods put out by only Garcia?...

I have the catalogs listed above, Wallace has been helping me get these ready to post for you to look at and use (Like he's not busy enough). Thanks again for your help

Regards Steve

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:06 am • #  
Global Moderator

Hey Steve,

No it was not a Garcia add.  It was a Mitchell add, via what I believe as a Klein's Sporting Goods Store in Sports' Afield Magazine.  Regards,  Scott

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:28 am • #  
Administrator

Hi Kim,

As Steve mentioned, we are working together on Narmco ads from the early to late 1950s. He will be sharing these when ready but now I see you have a 1956 so; is there any way you can scan the ads and email them to either of us? That would fill in a missing link.

If your 1956 catalog is not Narmco, is it the same ads I show in the museum website? Click Here to see ads from Garcia including 1956.

Best Regards, Wallace

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:04 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hey Wallace and Steve,

This is great news to hear that the early adds from the 50's will be up onto the site.  I look forward to these!  Regards,  Scott

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:37 pm • #  

Wallace & Steve,
The only name on the 1956 catalog is CONOLN. Below on right-hand corner lists the address.  " National Rod Company" 600 Victoria Street  Costa Mesa,Calif. Garcia NOT mentioned anywhere.
Basically the same for the 1957 catalog. Both catalogs were copyright 1 year before set out to wherever. Wallace give me a few days and I'll send the scans out. Send me your address via PM. Thanks.
      Kim

PS- Anyone know who has won the last two early Conolon Cats off ebay recently. I couldn't go over the $75 for the 1952 one and $44 for the 1958 one. Don't need a name just wondering if they visit the site...........

Last edited by piscesman on Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:39 pm • #  

Hi Kim,
I won't give my name... just kidding...
It was me...
Steve

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:51 pm • #  

Steve,
Nice pick-up on those cats. A wealth of information from each. Sometimes you see things offered for sale that you didn't know existed. Do you live in the states??? If so then are you coming to Daytona???
      Kim

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:07 pm • #  

Hey Kim,
I live in Florida, in Seminole which is just south of Clearwater, I am going to the show, but not sure if I am going for one or two days yet. It's about 3 to 3 1/2 hours away is all. The Catalogs are great, I have been getting scans to Wallace and they are going to be posted in the museum and/or here. The last one came with an unopened 1954 silaflex cat also... not going to open it, I think I'll trade it off to someone who wants it.

Steve

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:21 am • #  
Administrator

Hello Mates,

I have company in but still working on the ads that I had from Tim, the new ones from Steve and hopefully the ones from Kim. There's way too many to post here so they can go in the museum and also in a photo gallery if you want. With the 1952/53, 1955/56 and 1957/58, it will have a great deal of information to share.

Thanks Image

Best Regards, Wallace

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:46 pm • #  

Hi Steve,

Nice rod!  Was made after 1960 under Garcia ownership.  The rod finish, ferrule, and decals date this into the late 1960s - early 1970s.  I will try and post a little more info on Garcia Conolon rods when I have some time.

Tim

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:33 am • #  
Administrator

Hey Tim,

It's nice to see you back here since you started all of this Image

I for one could use your help.

Cheers,
Wallace

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:05 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hi Tim and Wallace,

A Kleins add lists this rod for being offered for sale in 1956.  I would suspect that the rod joint would have been brass at that point?  Would that be correct?  I am curious by how you could tell be the guides?  If you said by the guide wrappings and the heavy epoxy/laquer/phenolic resin over the wrappings I could understand.  My thought or tell tail assesment of this rod would date it later because of the male aluminum joint and the o-ring groove.  This is different than my earlier post assessment, but I was really basing most of the info from the Klein's addy.  Hi Tim,  Nice to meet you via the list.  Cheers Wallace!

Regards,  Scott

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:38 am • #  
Administrator

Hi Steve & Mates:

I have a couple of these Royal Javelin rods.  Steve, the color of the rubber butt may help narrow down the date.  If the rod butt is all black with black "G", then Garcia typically used these on most of their rods between 1962 and 1966.  If your rod butt is black with a red "G", then this change appears to have occurred throughout the top of the rod line in 1967.  Another observation is that the "Featherweight Sizematic" ferrule did not appear for the top of the rod line until the 1966 Garcia catalog.  So, if your rod has an all-black butt cap with black "G", then you may be able to narrow down market date of your rod to 1966.  If butt cap is black or white with red "G", then it is more likely to be 1967 or later, and even early 1970's.

I have a Narmco Royal Javelin rod that likely dates to the late 1950's or very early 1960's.  It has a screw lock reel seat which was not typical of their earlier rods.  It says "Conolon Missilite" on the fish symbol sticker, and "Royal Javelin" on another sticker.  I also have a Royal Javelin "Custom built by Garcia".  This rod has an all black butt cap with black "G", the same general color as yours, with black screw lock reel seat and gold accents.  It has a serial number and has standard wrapped ferrules rather than the "Featherweight Sizematic" ferrules that your rod has.  I am thinking that my rod is just a bit earlier than yours-----maybe 1964 or 1965.

Best regards,

Wayne

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:51 am • #  

The Royal Javelin was a top-line Conolon blank, with fly rods selling for $35 in 1956 - that's a chunk of change. Nickel silver ferrules and a perfection stripping guide.
I fished an 8-1/2'er for a few years as a back up to a South Bend 323 (top line) cane rod. Actions of the two rods were virtually identical, as was the price in the early 50s.
I agree the anodized aluminum ferrules are going to date the rod into the 60s.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:01 pm • #  
Administrator

Hi Bulldog:

Thanks much for the feedback!  $35 was a lot for a rod back in the 50's, much like the price paid for a Mitchell 300 reel at $32.50 back in those days.  I would think at todays prices, that would equate to about between $200-$250 each!

Regards,

Wayne

Page 1 of 1   [ 20 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply