Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: Conolon 2553-A four star
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:11 am • #  

My nephew was over yesterday, helping me fix my car. Knowing he like surf fishing, I gave him a Mitchell 302, for helping me. He told me he picked up a 9 1/2' Garcia rod for $10.00. When he got home he paired the rod with the reel and sent me these pictures ( I didn't know it was a Conolon rod).

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

May your lines always be tight, Don

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:44 pm • #  

Sounds like 2 rods I bought on spring vacation. Both Conolon and $25 for both. One with agate guides circa 1950' - 60's.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:00 pm • #  

What year might this be?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:21 pm • #  

Hey Don,

Your nephew definitely got a really great deal at $10. The longer saltwater Garcia fiberglass spinning rods typically go for quite a bit more at the big auction site (and then plus shipping).

That's a great rod for casting heavier bait rigs. Or, for heavier plugs, without one's arms feeling like they're working a jackhammer. (Totally out of my league, as the heaviest I've cast is ┬ż oz.)

Below, I've inserted relevant content from the 1976 Garcia Annual. It looks like Garcia used the same picture throughout most of the 1970's (2553 not being present in the late 70's). Garcia did have a 2553 prior to the 70's, but that rod had different colored threading than shown in your photos.

John
Attachment:
7600 Garcia Annual 043a sm saltwater rod 2553.jpg

Attachment:
7600 Garcia Annual 043a excerpt saltwater rod 2553.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:33 pm • #  

John,
Thanks for the great information as usual!!
Turns out though the rod is in great shape, except a mouse might have gotten to the bottom of the butt cork. He's bringing it by tomorrow, to take a look at it. But sounds bigger than a repair. Thinking if I have to replace the butt handle, let him fish it this season and make it a winter restore. I'll take some pictures tomorrow.

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply