Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:48 pm • #  

Mates,

First, let me say kudos to Bonanza for his pioneering collecting/research work with rods, without which I would not have known to look for a Sportscastle rod: Conolon.

You may read more by the Denver Post about Gart Bros. Sporting Goods who turned their building into a ‘Sportsman’s Castle’ here: Gart Bros. ‘Sportsman’s Castle’ in its heyday was a Denver classic.

Sportscastle in Denver, CO, which opened in 1971 (now closed), is an example of a retailer-branded Garcia rod. The rods are not “custom” in terms of being addressed to an individual client’s needs, but rather “custom” in terms of being specific to a retailer (and different from Garcia-cataloged rods).

Here I show my mint-condition Sportscastle SP237:
Attachment:
Sportscastle rod.jpg

Attachment:
Sportscastle decal.jpg

Attachment:
alignment dots.jpg

John

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:12 pm • #  

Hello 'estranger, That is one beautiful rod , never heard of the brand. It just goes to show Mates the wealth of information that is at your fingertips on the museum site. Regards, John I'm Pa. :sCh_fisherman:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:16 pm • #  

Hey John in PA (Oscillator1),

Thanks for your comment!

Mates,

So, looking for a comparably cataloged rod by Garcia, I came up with the Gold series 2133. 1971 was Garcia’s last year for gold colored (maybe more like cream, but not a good marketing term) rods. Here’s 1971 Garcia Fishing Annual content:
Attachment:
7100 Garcia Annual 41a Gold rods.jpg

Attachment:
7100 Garcia Annual 41a Gold excerpt.jpg

John (in Philadelphia)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:40 pm • #  

Hello John , I have a gold 2121 ultra lite with the small o- ring on the male ferrule. It was the first Conolon rod I bought, I think sometime in the mid 60s, Still have it and use it to this day for trout fishing, 55 years later. It's also always had my first 308 mounted on it they're inseparable. Tight lines John in Pa. :sCh_fisherman:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:40 pm • #  

Hey John in Pa,

Cool!

I put my reply to you in Ted's thread:
Garcia 2121B Rod
since you were replying there also.

John

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply