Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: A little off topic
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:31 am • #  

I have a friend that is trying to restore a Conolon Missilite. If their are anyone that may have, or know where to find the following guides. And are willing to sell them please let me know. The sizes are #16 or 20 Conoloy Flex Guides. the spelling of the guides is correct. I have added a photo of the guide, it is a single foot guide. If their is anyone

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

May your lines always be tight, Don

Post subject: Re: A little off topic
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 4:47 pm • #  

Hey Don,

I thought I’d give this thread a bump with some, possibly, interesting, if not useful, details.

Conoloy was a hard alloy new in 1958. Flex-Guides in 1958/59 were made of Conoloy. Prior (1956/57), Flex-Guides were made of chromed, spring-tempered Monel wire. I’m not seeing Flex-Guides sold prior to 1956 – although Narmco did claim to have done 3 years of field testing by 1958.

See some catalog pages below.

John
Attachment:
5800 Conolon Catalog 04 rs.jpg

Attachment:
5700 Conolon Catalog 19 rs.jpg

Attachment:
5600 Conolon Catalog 17 rs.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 4:53 pm • #  

Don,

I’ve also learned something about sizing (which I would have otherwise asked you about) from the catalogs:
Quote:
Number of Guide is determined by INSIDE diameter of Loop in 32nd inches

So, a #16 Guide has an inside diameter of 16/32". Below, enlarged from the 1957 Catalog, are a table on freshwater guide numbers and description of a freshwater set.

Unfortunately, I think you may have a difficult time finding NOS (new old stock) Flex-Guides because they were limited to the mid/late 1950s and only on Narmco-sold rods. [I was fortunate to get several sets of NOS Sila-flex guides (contemporaneous to Narmco Flex-Guides and also proprietary) at not unreasonable price 5+ years ago, but I would say that was a very rare opportunity.]

I think probably your best chance is for you and/or your friend to pull a correctly-sized Flex-Guide off another Missilite rod. And then, redo all that rod’s guides with some other type – which would still give you a very good rod for fishing (just not historically accurate).

John
Attachment:
5700 Conolon Catalog 19 fresh water.jpg

Attachment:
5700 Conolon Catalog 19 set.jpg

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 5:04 am • #  

John,
Thanks for the information, I sent the photo's to my friend. He was very happy to have them. He bought the rod as a work rod, with one wrong guide. He has a lot of people in the rod building forum keeping an eye out for the guide, at flea markets and such.
Thanks again,
Don

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 9:57 am • #  

Hey Don,

One more thing. I had been wanting to ask how you and/or your friend determined #16 or #20 was the correct replacement for the butt guide. I realize this is a vintage rod, but even so, to me, that seems on the small side.

I have 1 Narmco Conolon Missilite rod with Flex-Guides on hand (versus some more Conolons in storage - although those may not have Flex-Guides, as I favor the earlier rods).

The rod on hand is the Airflite 6325, the so called "Teeny Tiny," as it is a 5-foot rod. Based on my measurement, its butt guide is a #24. Your friend's rod (if I'm remembering correctly) is 6'6". So, I would expect its butt guide to be at least as big, if not bigger.

John

P.S. Look at the "freshwater set" of 5 Flex-Guides (= the number of guides on a rod). The biggest is a #24.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 5:13 am • #  

John,
I don't remember how I got the guide size. It was either in my friends thread, or an email. I'm guessing he has it right, as he is a seasoned builder. I'm just the middle guy trying to help him out.
Don

Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply