Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:35 am • #  

Scored this nice 7ft Conolon Live Fiber rod complete with tube, and it's in excellent condition with the decals intact. Couldn't find much info on it other than what is displayed on the Decals. it Says it's a Conolon Live fiber "Royal Javelin" and contains a registration number.

Any info would be most appreciated:)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:36 am • #  

More pics

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:44 am • #  

Hey Moses1986,

Nice rod. And, good photos.

See MRM thread: Royal Javelin - Klein's Sporting Goods - Trademark.
(Always a good idea to try MRM's search function.)

I have the Narmco Conolon version of this rod (Airflite 6304). Unfortunately some cork is cracked off by pressure from the top ring of the reel mount (which my seller didn't include in description or photos). I would have thought this type of reel mount was discontinued in the 1950s, but Garcia Conolon used it here and there into the 1970s.

John

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:15 am • #  

Thank you, it wont let me see the photos though:P Every time I log in and click your link, it logs me out again:( I can't stay logged in for some reason?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:12 am • #  

Yep did the same thing to me. :sCo_hmmthink: :sAng_banghead2:

May your lines always be tight, Don

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:25 am • #  
Global Moderator

Mates,
Depending on exactly how you switch back and forth, you might have to re login.
Try logging in then go to Halcyon's link, then use the backward arrow at the left top of your screen to get back where you started. This works for me.

Ted Lanham

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:29 pm • #  

Mates,

Sorry, try this one (it works for me): redo link.

I didn't realize there is a different URL for a thread page whether someone is logged in or not.

John

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:45 pm • #  

Hey Moses1986 & Mates,

A little more about the reel seat, “Conolon skeletonized fixed reel seat” (see 1956 Narmco Conolon catalog excerpt below).

As mentionized, I believe I have a Narmco-cataloged version (Airflite 6304-7’R) of your Klein’s rod. I see the 6304 in my Narmco catalogs from 1955-57, not 1953 or 1958 (I don’t have a copy of 1954). The fish logo started in 1954 or 1955 – I haven’t been able to pin it down yet.

At bottom is a photo of my 6304 reel seat with damage to the cork.

John

Attachment:
5600 Conolon Catalog 06 excerpt.jpg

Attachment:
Airflite 6304 damage.jpg

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:44 pm • #  

Halcyon wrote:
Hey Moses1986 & Mates,

A little more about the reel seat, “Conolon skeletonized fixed reel seat” (see 1956 Narmco Conolon catalog excerpt below).

As mentionized, I believe I have a Narmco-cataloged version (Airflite 6304-7’R) of your Klein’s rod. I see the 6304 in my Narmco catalogs from 1955-57, not 1953 or 1958 (I don’t have a copy of 1954). The fish logo started in 1954 or 1955 – I haven’t been able to pin it down yet.

At bottom is a photo of my 6304 reel seat with damage to the cork.

John

Attachment:
5600 Conolon Catalog 06 excerpt.jpg

Attachment:
Airflite 6304 damage.jpg

Moses: Nice score, especially with the rod tube. I'm curious about those "flex" guides. I'd guess the idea was to keep the guides from affecting the action of the blank.

John: If that were my rod I'd take a shot at a repair, using cork dust and glue. Anything to make it usable, and not just a wall-hanger.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:22 pm • #  

No matter what I do it logs me out when I try to view the page:(

Anyways, I wonder what the rod is rated for as far as Line Test, Lure size, and action? I tried to put both my 60s and 50s Mitchell 300 but they wouldn't mount. My Dam Quick 220 went right in with no issues however I'd like to know which Mitchell reels are supposed to be a good match for this rod?

I really need to go fishing soon:)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:38 am • #  

Hey garthg,

Let me respond to your curiosity about flex-guides with catalog pages (in reverse chronological order) below. First mention I see is 1956. Not every spinning rod had these guides. Some fly rods even had a flex-guide as their stripping guide.

Thank you for your comment on cork repair, which I'll respond to in more detail later.

BTW Respectfully, let me say, there's no need to recopy the entirety of the immediately prior post.

John
Attachment:
5800 Conolon Catalog 04.jpg

Attachment:
5700 Conolon Catalog 19.jpg

Attachment:
5600 Conolon Catalog 17.jpg

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:30 pm • #  

Halcyon,
I took the liberty of sending a PM if you care to look.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:39 pm • #  

Hey Don,

I hope it's okay if I answer your PM questions here - because at least what I write in part 1 is some of what I wanted to post in this thread earlier (in reply to garthg) and I think relevant enough to the discussion.

part 1
No the cork is not cracked off all the way down to the rod blank. Oddly though, the ring has cut underneath the outside surface cork so the damage is more extensive than it appears from above.

But, I guess your question is trying to get at, can I tell if the fiberglass blank goes all the way through the handle to the butt cap? The answer is, yes. I ended up breaking off some of the butt section cork :blush , testing how firm it was.

My ultimate plan is to replace all the cork, ideally with a stronger cork composite ring where the top metal ring is - although we're looking at maybe 2021 for that job :-). I'm thinking wood-glue/cork-dust mix would just result in more original cork getting cracked off due to pressure. Basically, I think it's not the best design for a handle - one may need to be cautious with it.

part 2
There were Conolon spinning rods butt ferruled (with the handle being detachable from the rod), which were heavier saltwater rods 8.5' and longer. I couldn't tell from catalog images, but it is possible Conolon had lighter spinning rods that were butt ferruled. I have Sila-flex from the same time period that are so. These were longer rods like 8.5' (both salt and light freshwater). Of course, probably all bait casting rods from both companies at the time were butt ferruled (with removable handles). OK, sorry part 2 got a little off topic.

John

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:11 pm • #  

John,
The rod i'm talking about is a 6' or 6 1/2' medium weight freshwater rod. It has a 5/8" aluminium shaft. The reason I asked if your rod was built the same is. It's hard to get the reel seat off, if it's the blank butt to tip, without damaging the blank. To do the repair heating the seat with a hair drier, heat gun, or boiling it. I was basically trying to find out if aluminium shafts were common with vintage Conolon rods.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:01 pm • #  

Hey Don,

Now I sent you a PM.

John

Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply