Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: A little off topic
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:50 am • #  

I have a few rods I'd like to use as wall hangers. Anyone have any photos, of how they've done it? I'd like to get some ideas.

May your lines always be tight, Don

Post subject: Re: A little off topic
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:51 am • #  

So many Reel Seats are plastic or graphite these days, - can you still get the Anodized Aluminum Rod Seats like they had back then?

Glen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:30 pm • #  

Hi Glen, There is a company that I use for various fishing products that I'm sure has some aluminum anodized reel seats listed in their catalog. Jann's Netcraft 3350 Briarfield Blvd. Maureen, OH 43537-9502. Or http://www.jannsnetcraft.com phone 1-800-netcraft and you can request a catalog. Good luck on your search , John in Pa. USA

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:59 pm • #  

Thanks John.

Glen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:16 pm • #  

Glen,
If you go to Rodbuildinr.org
To the left of the forum, their is a list of building suppliers. Good chance you can find what your looking for their.
Good luck.

May your lines always be tight, Don

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:26 pm • #  

Hi Don,

This is how I display my Mitchell Dual 500 Series rods and reels here in the reel room. The ceiling is canted at a 45 and I made this rack so it makes them hang better than if the rack was mounted to the wall - this rack would also work on a flat ceiling.
Attachment:
Mitchell 500 Series 1.jpg

Attachment:
Mitchell 500 Series 2.jpg

Attachment:
Mitchell 500 Series 3.jpg

All of these rods and reels are mint so they never go outside! :sHa_biggrin:

Regards,
Chris

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:05 pm • #  

Don,

This is my "User" rod/reel rack although I do have 5 or 10 rods in there with no reels attached and those are strictly reel room rods as well. Eventually, I may add reels to them and make a display like my aforementioned one. These racks are available from Cabela's or Bass Pro but they work well with rubber rod clips so the rods don't get marked up.
Attachment:
User Rods.jpg

Regards,
Chris

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:53 am • #  

Chris,
I always love seeing your reel room photos and today's spotlight on your floor and wall mounted rod/reel displays is a real treat!! :sBo_bounce2: :sHa_rollingsmilie: :sBo_bounce2:

The first photo of the revolving floor racks titled: "User Rods.jpg", looking on the left hand rack, there's a white two piece rod with what looks like reddish brown guide wraps and is positioned among the closest to the camera. Would this rod perhaps, be one made by Shakespeare? Looks very much like one of my early rods. :sFun_eyescan:

Also, your last photo of the wall display labeled: "Mitchell 500 Series 3.jpg" made me wonder about the top two rods on the rack. There are what appear to be small black plastic pieces on the very end of each rod tip. Is this to allow these two rods to fit into the rack due to rod length?
Thanks again for sharing these marvelous photos. :sSig_thankyou: :sSig_youtheman:

Kind Regards,
Bill :tup

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:20 pm • #  

Hi Bill,

Thank you for the very kind comments.

Very observant!!! :tup . The white rod with burgundy wrap is in fact a Shakespeare Wonderglass, 6'0'', SP-B30, in solid fiberglass. My Dad gave me that rod (new) with a brand new Garcia Mitchell 304 attached when I graduated from 8th Grade in 1973. I fished that combo for many years (the stories they could tell). The windings were originally red but I replaced them about 25 years ago when they finally frayed to the point I couldn't make the clear nail polish trick work anymore. I thought I was using red winding thread but when I put the sealant on them they turned burgundy :eek . Other than that the rod remains all original and I still use it from time to time but compared to my Garcia Conolon 2501B, 5.5',light action rod, it's like fishing with a telephone pole! :rollin . I still love it though.

With regard to the 500 Series rack. I built and mounted it when I only had the Mitchell Dual 510 and 540 (these rods and reels are matched - hence the "Dual"). The Dual 500 fit fine but when I got the Dual 508 and 524, the rods were shorter so you're exactly right, I inserted a piece of plastic tubing in the end holder to support the rod tips :blush .

Great questions Bill, thank you for the interest :sHa_okay:

Kind Regards,
Chris

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply