Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:48 pm • #  

Well I fell in love with the blue color so I had to have her for myself:P I don't know how old it is, or how she will fish but I got a feeling it's going to do great:) Thinking of putting a Dam Quick on her, as My 1950s Mitchell don't fit in the reel seat.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:49 pm • #  

More pics

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:50 pm • #  

More pics

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:01 am • #  

Nice pole but you should put a 300 series on it to do it justice. Nothing wrong with D.A.M. though.
Kim :sCh_fisherman: :tup

4lb test and you will cast " a mile "...........

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:30 pm • #  

I was going to use my 50's Mitchell 300 on it but it won't fit in the reel seat guides. The reel angles when seated, and I don't want to tweak the guides to fit it in there. My Dam Quick fits but it looks like it may be a slight bit to big where the to of the angled T stem sits in the reel seat guides.

I'm wondering if maybe I need a ultra light reel? any suggestions?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:41 pm • #  

Moses1986
I can tell you that if it's a size 16, a 308 may not fit. But a 204 will. I had to grind the foot on a 308 to fit.

May your lines always be tight, Don

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:22 pm • #  

Took the Conolon out for a test drive today on my early 70's Schwinn Suburban:P Color scheme fits nicely I think?

No luck fishing today though:/ Still a whole lot of fun!! rod cast like a champ, action is very sensitive so you can feel every bump very well, can't wait for the day I'm reelin' in my first Bass:)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:06 pm • #  

Hey Moses1986,

Great photos! Nice color combination of rod with bike.

I thought a check of Garcia recommendations might help clarify what reel to chose, including one that would fit on the reel seat. The short answer is the Garcia information was confusing.

Your rod's decal clearly has an "A". However, across the years, Garcia consistently put 2609 in the "B" group. See the table and descriptive text for "B" below (I left out the paragraph about being suitable for saltwater with proper care). So, it's hard to say how reliable their reel recommendations are.
Attachment:
7700 Garcia Annual B table.jpg

Attachment:
7700 Garcia Annual B text.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:09 pm • #  

For reference, here is the A group content.
Attachment:
7700 Garcia Annual A table.jpg

Attachment:
7700 Garcia Annual A text.jpg

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:54 am • #  

Thanks for the info:) I see that the Mitchell 300 is indeed an option, and I'd like to use mine but it does not seat into the reel seat properly. It is a 1950's era reel so maybe I need to get a period correct 300? I don't know the answer:(

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:40 am • #  

Yeah, that Reel Seat is to small, in the old days we would just bend the reel seat up to fit or file down the foot of the reel, but since it is now "Vintage" equipment, we don't want to change anything.

I recently purchased a 304 that is in very good condition, but......... the reel's foot has been filed. I have it on an early 80's Hardy Fibalite 7 foot (actually 7'3" or so) rod. The rod is near mint and has a "Tennessee" type mount with 2 rings holding the reel right down on the cork. It barely fits, but I may thin the foot down all across the bottom. After all, it has already had the corners filed off. Nice reel, but a fisher, not a collector's piece.

I have a question, is there a variation in the foot dimensions of reels within any given model? ie does a 50's Mitchell 300 have different foot dimensions from a 300 from the 1970's or 80's?

G. Glen Simpson

:sCh_fisherman:

:sAni_fish:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:34 pm • #  

I have built a few UL freshwater rods, with a lock down reel seat with a hood. The 308 didn't fit, but the 204 did. I took some off the foot of a 308, and just carry an extra spool.

May your lines always be tight, Don

Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply