Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:18 pm • #  

Just Wondering if the Two Star Conolon rods are still Quality rods? and what material differences there are between the Two, Three, and Four star rods?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:54 pm • #  

Hey Moses1986,

Wayne Real at his ABU site has a nice section on Garcia rods (linked below). Scroll down to the 1976 Garcia Fishing Annual pages (which click to enlarge) and you will see how Garcia described their star/color coding.

Rods: Garcia Overview

How the blue 2-stars were, I need to leave to someone else.

John

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:11 pm • #  

Thanks!! I pulled the trigger on a beautiful Garcia Conolon Blue Freshwater spinning rod light action. I want to start fishing vintage gear for fun, never messed with any of the older stuff, but I have a Dam Quick that would make a great partner to it:)

Just wanted to know if these are prone to any problems, the one I got was in excellent condition with the decal intact will post pics as soon as I can.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:40 am • #  

Hi,

Garcia Conolon Color codes:
Black * solid fiberglass
Blue ** star rods had fewer line guides, made to compete with discount store rods. They used Good quality blanks with hard -chromed carbon steel line guides
Avocado (green) *** stars, - Better quality blank with more
guides
Brown **** stars, Best quality blank, Chrome plated stainless steel guides
Gold ***** stars, Best quality blank and Agate guides

Paint hides a lot of defects.
Early Conolon rods are tobacco colored with the fiberglass visible

Paint the blank means more product out the door.

I drooled all over the Conolon display at the sporting goods store.
After I snapped an Eagle Claw rod in half, I got a True Temper because I couldn't afford a higher quality rod. I cut a lot of lawns,did odd jobs and collected a lot of pop bottles to get what got.

Information is taken from my collection of Garcia fishing annuals, 1972 thru 1979

I have 3 ***** star rods, 2111 Gold
I have a NARMCO Conolon, Costa Mesa

All that said, a two star will take any abuse you throw at it and come back for more.

Fred

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:27 pm • #  

I've got a five-star freshwater spinning; it's got agate guides.

I just acquired a five-star 12' surf spinning rod. It's got regular ring spinning guides (not sure if they're stainless) with a tungsten carbide tip top.

The five-star rods have an internal ferrule with an O-ring. Fancier wrapping. The surf rod has a Varmac reel seat, chrome over brass. Heavy but beautiful The chrome is amazingly shiny considering it must be at least 50 years old.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:43 pm • #  

The 2 star Conolon will be a better rod per that era and then some than the best they offered. Depending on the fish targeted the rod will do it's job. When the fish is at the boat or shore for the taking and it makes a run the rod will flex and help stall that run. You need to act as the brake. Fish landed and Happy Memories made. Go catch a good one.........
Kim :sCh_fisherman: :sHa_okay: :clap

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:26 am • #  

Hey Mates,

As I indicated above, I didn't know anything much about the "Blue" series. Since this was a series that provided a good quality rod to many people, I thought it was worth learning more. So, I did a catalog tour that may be of interest.

Garcia started the Blue series in 1960. At that time it was marketed as a 3-star series. During the 60's, Blue was marketed as a moderately priced series (while Garcia marketed their "Green" series as their economy line - not to be confused with the later 3-star "Avocado" series). Also, Garcia dropped using star designations during most of the 60's (at least in the consumer catalogs I have).
Attachment:
6000 Garcia Rods Trade Catalog 010.jpg

In 1970, Garcia presented the Blue series as a 2-star line and marketed it as an economy line.
Attachment:
7000 Garcia Annual Blue Rods.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:34 am • #  

1977 was the last year for the Blue series.
Attachment:
7700 Garcia Annual Blue Rods.jpg

Attachment:
7700 Garcia Annual Blue text.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply