Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 23 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:41 pm • #  

So Scrounging the net for a old rod to accompany my Mitchell 300, I came across what appears to be a Garcia Conolon 8212-A. Guides are clean with no rust, it has good wraps, and rod is not damaged as far as I can see, but the cork looks like it has seen some better days.

Guy isn't asking a whole lot of monies so I figure it'd be a nice repair project for me:) Seen some vids on people using wood filler n stuffs to repair old cork, question is if I can't get the cork filled right is it replaceable? I'd be grateful for any pointers/input.

Also whats the deal with the three star rating? sure this question has probably came up before:P

"Link to Pics if photo's are no show"

http://i67.tinypic.com/2roszus.jpg

http://i66.tinypic.com/10xu5a0.jpg

http://i64.tinypic.com/2hz0siu.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:06 am • #  

Moses1986
I have repaired some cork. I now make my own handles from cork rings, on a homemade lathe. I save the cork shavings/dust. I mix Titebond ultimate wood glue, with the saved cork and fill the handle,foregrip, etc. I have heard of rod builders using Elmers yellow wood glue, which my blend in better to the color of the cork. You can do this with cork from a wine bottle. Insert a large screw to the cork, chuck it in a drill. Sand it with 120 sheetrock sanding screen, and some 120 grid sand paper. After filling sand with sand with 220 grid, and higher for smoother finish. Keep in mind you will always see repairs.
Hope this helps.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

May your lines always be tight, Don

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:28 am • #  

Here is one with repair. I know it's not the best example, I think if you click on the photo it will enlarge. It was a 1/8" pit hole.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:35 am • #  

Welcome to the site. The rating system determines the overall quality of the pole. 5 highest and 2 lowest. The higher the star rating the more bells and whistles the pole has. Better guides, wrappings, hook keeper, coating etc. These lower rated poles are still better quality than the competition. I have a few poles with the cork missing and will be repairing them with the information mentioned here. Good Luck..........
Kim :sCh_fisherman:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:44 am • #  

piscesman
If you need any help with cork or handle replacement, you can PM me. Or anyone for that needs help.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:48 am • #  

One more note. You can clean your cork, I use dish soap & water, dry it right away with a towel. And use U-40 cork sealer. You can get it at any rod building supplier. Here's one,,http://www.u-40.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:46 pm • #  

Thanks for your input guys I truly Appreciate it:) I took the plunge and bought the pole, will be on it's way soon. I really like the color scheme, I think it will go well with my Mitchell pre 300 which I will be rebuilding. I also have a Dam Quick 220 that's going to need a rod as well, Good times ahead:)

Mitchell pre 300
http://i65.tinypic.com/1qn0g7.jpg
http://i66.tinypic.com/x2a04g.jpg
http://i64.tinypic.com/5uqpzp.jpg

Dam Quick 220
http://i67.tinypic.com/2mzbcrn.jpg
http://i63.tinypic.com/fyic6.jpg
http://i64.tinypic.com/28kkcom.jpg

By the way Merry Christmas you all:)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:14 am • #  

Moses1986
Just to let you know, I don't see any of your photo's. I either get lag, or nothing on the links you post.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:46 am • #  

I'm not sure whats going on, and I don't want to be a bother but what is the proper method to upload the photos? I see yours but mine aren't cooperating with me:P

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:04 am • #  

Moses1986
Photo's have to be 800 pixels. The only way I know how to do it is, open my picture in paint - resize - 800 pixel - save.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:38 am • #  
Administrator

Hi Moses, I believe you are not clicking on "place inline" after you have uploaded the file. Try that and if it still doesn't work, send me your phone number through private mail (PM).

Wallace :sFun_oldguy:

Like Using This Site? Please Support Us By Clicking The Link Below

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:38 pm • #  

Lets try this again:P

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:40 pm • #  

One more of the front

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:44 pm • #  

Dam Quick 220 "I actually fished this on an Ugly Stick Gx2 this year, brought in some good Catfish, and Bluegill:) Yet to get a Bass on it though:P"

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:45 pm • #  

Front of the dam Quick, looks like the plastic could be Bakelite?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:52 pm • #  

Here are Pics of the Rod in Question, Sorry for the amount of pics guys just want to be thorough about the post. Also want to thank Ted Lanham "I think that's the name" for his help earlier this year finding the Spool Pawl and spring for my Mitchell 300:)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:26 pm • #  

Moses1986
I see your pictures now. The cork on the handle doesn't look to bad, but the foregrip another story. I don't know if you are trying to keep it original. Me I like my gear fishing ready. If I were doing the cork, I fill it best as possible. And shrink wrap the cork, the shrink wrap is a soft material. The wrap being a vacuum fit will find voids such as pits and bumps. You can check it out at Mudhole.com under shrink tubing. Youtube has some video's on it also.
Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:40 pm • #  

Hey Don, another way I clean cork is with wet Ajax or Comet and rub it in the cork with the palm of my hand. You can also use a toothbrush for deep down dirt. In a pinch toothpaste works too..
Moses, how long is pole and line size?? The letter after the number helps further determine that exact pole to the charts Conolon rated it to........
Kim :sCh_fisherman:

Also your Mitchell reel predates the Garcia engraving. It has a sticker on the side plate. Plus the toothed bail lever is somewhat rare.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:11 pm • #  

I haven't got the rod yet, should ship soon I want to say from other similar looking rods its an 8212-A. As for the Mitchell I'm not sure the Date info I know I started a thread on it a while back here, and someone responded with info but it's been a while.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:16 pm • #  

Only problem that worries me is the spool sounds like it's slightly rubbing on the walls of the inside of the reel as it oscillates up and down. Not all the time I'd say it does it midway through the oscillation process. Also the Bail arm screw comes loose I can only tighten it so much before it affects things, Maybe Blue Locktite?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:35 am • #  

don309 wrote:
Moses1986
I have repaired some cork. I now make my own handles from cork rings, on a homemade lathe. I save the cork shavings/dust. I mix Titebond ultimate wood glue, with the saved cork and fill the handle,foregrip, etc. I have heard of rod builders using Elmers yellow wood glue, which my blend in better to the color of the cork. You can do this with cork from a wine bottle. Insert a large screw to the cork, chuck it in a drill. Sand it with 120 sheetrock sanding screen, and some 120 grid sand paper. After filling sand with sand with 220 grid, and higher for smoother finish. Keep in mind you will always see repairs.
Hope this helps.

Hi, Don:

I'd like to know more about that homemade lathe.
Motor, dimensions, etc.

Thanks.

Garth

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:54 pm • #  

Hi Moses1986, If I were you I would check and make sure that the axle in your reel isn't bent just a little . Regards John in Pa.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:19 pm • #  

Garth sent you an email.
Moses did you get my email about, making a new fore grip!

Page 1 of 1   [ 23 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply