Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Sun May 26, 2019 12:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:58 pm • #  

Mates,

Just arrived in the mail to me, 2 absolutely beautiful fiberglass fly rods from the early 1970s. But not only beautiful, rods with a unique design for distance casting.

• Charles C. Ritz/Garcia Conolon 2062 - 7’10” line wt. 6-7 (US market)
• Charles C. Ritz/Mitchell Conolon 198E1 - 8’5” line wt. 8-9 (Europe market)

I’ve inserted a 1972 Garcia Annual page below. Corresponding European-market model numbers are shown below:

Garcia 6’ 6” 2060 = Mitchell 198A1
Garcia 7’ 1” 2061 = Mitchell 198B1
Garcia 7’ 10” 2062 = Mitchell 198C1
Garcia 8’ 2” 2063 = Mitchell 198D1
Garcia 8’ 5” 2064 = Mitchell 198E1
Garcia 8’ 5” 2065 = Mitchell 198F1
Garcia 8’ 10” 2066 = Mitchell 198G1

About the unique design, Ritz, along with an American who had been working independently, published on it in the 1930s. Pezon & Michel sold Ritz designed rods (bamboo, hybrid, & fiberglass) into the 1970s.

What is unique about a Ritz design is that it bends in the butt section (near the handle) and has a stiff midsection.

I have seen numerous posts about the speed such a rod puts on line, with it singing as it whizzes by. Further, one poster remarked that the perception was one of casting the rod along with the line and then there was an afterburner effect. So, I’m looking forward to testing these rods!

In the interest of full disclosure, there appears to be one downside. If you hook an oversized fish, your wrist will be fatigued because you do not have the leverage of the rod (as you would with a standard design).

More to come!

John
Attachment:
7200 Garcia Annual 034a Ritz rods sm.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:46 pm • #  

Hello Halcyon,

I own a Conolon Mitchell Charles C. Ritz rod in its metal case with a black screw cap marked Mitchell
It's a 198 C1 7'10 "WF 6-7F Made in USA but not marked Garcia
I already posted on this site photos of this rod that my wife offered me 12 years ago for my 60 years.
Join the photos.
I will search in my catalogs for information on this rod.
Best regards,
Christian

Attachment:
Canne CR detail.jpg

Attachment:
Etui canne CR.jpg

Attachment:
Canne CR.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:06 pm • #  

catalogue Mitchell 1976

Attachment:
Cat Ritz.jpg

Attachment:
Cat Ritz 1.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:04 pm • #  

Hey Laroupane,

Thank you for sharing your images and knowledge.

You have a very nice rod and aluminum tube. Based on what some others have written, the only differences between the Garcia and Mitchell rods were the: logo/emblem (Garcia versus Mitchell), rod sack and tube.

Interesting that you find the Ritz rods in a 1976 Mitchell catalog. On the US side, they were only present 1972-74 in Garcia Fishing Annuals. Another difference in the 1976 Mitchell catalog is that 198A1, 198F1, and 198G1 are not present. So, either they were imported in another year(s) or the authors of my equivalent-model-numbers table above guessed at Mitchell numbers without actually having seen any.

Close-up photos of my rods' decals are inserted below.

John
Attachment:
Garcia 2062 decal.jpg

Attachment:
Mitchell 198E1 decal.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:08 pm • #  

Some more photos below.
Attachment:
Conolon Ritz handles.jpg

Attachment:
Conolon Ritz ferrules.jpg

I forgot to mention two things.

I need to learn Ritz' High Speed / High Line casting technique to best use these rods. I've obtained an inexpensive, recent printing of Ritz' book to help with that.

Also useful information (thank you) is that the Mitchell catalog advises weight forward line (I would have guessed double taper), while Garcia does not specify.

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply