Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next   Page 4 of 5   [ 131 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:22 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hey Christian,  Super rod thanks for sharing!    These Mitchell Conolon's have me facinated.   Regards,  Scott

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:01 am • #  

Hello,

Below the photos of some rods conolon which I possess. The physical aspect is more or less good

"Expert", "Special" and "Alpha" are MADE IN FRANCE, "Sigma" are MADE IN SPAIN

Best regards,

Christian

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:00 am • #  
Global Moderator

hi Christian,

Thanks again for the pictures , I think this covers most of the Alpha-Special and Expert series.

regards 
Dries

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:58 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hi Christian,  great rods!  I have never seen advertized the Mitchell rods here in the US.  Both yours and Dries are really super finds.  Thanks for sharing.  Scott

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:22 am • #  
Administrator

Hi guys:

Very nice selection of Mitchell Conolon rods!  How hard to find are these European sold rods?  Like Scott, living in the U.S., I haven't seen these before, even on ebay.  Thanks for the very nice pictures.

Best regards,

Wayne 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:12 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hi Wayne,

I think that the rods in mint condition are tough to find .
Sometimes with a little luck they are offered with a Mitchell reel and they advertise only the reel ...
Also at European tackle shows they are regularly offered .

regards 

Dries

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:42 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hi Dries,  I am facinated with this type connector joint for attaching the 2 pieces together.  Joint is much lower than typical rods.  I am assuming that this is an earlier design by Mitchell.  What year do you think they were made?  Regards,  Scott

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:47 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hey Dries,  Reiterating what Wayne stated.  We never see these rods in the US.  I have never seen them ever offered on EBAY.  The search will continue.  I have some rod photos I would like to post.  What is the easiest way to post photo's here   Regards,  Scott

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:19 am • #  

Hello,

Below the scans of catalogs Mitchell 1962 and 1969

On that of 1962, both series fabricated by Mitchell: 

Classify France - full rods in stratified glass fiber

Classify USA: rods Companion Fiberglass Conolon Live Fiber (Dague – Fleuret – Epée – Fly Shot) conceived by Johnny Dieckman, World Champion 1960 and 1961

On that of 1969, presentation of the rods of series Conolon Export (Expert – Special – Alpha).

When I shall have more time, I shall make a file with photographs of all rods listed on my catalogs Mitchell: when this file will be made, I shall post a message at this instant there

Best regards,

Christian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:39 am • #  
Global Moderator

Hey Christian,  Great display of catalog.  I need to buy a french translation to english.  My translator at work is on vacation.   Scott

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:42 am • #  
Global Moderator

Hi Scott,

These rods are very short and fragile , in the rodsock there is a piece of wood to prevent any damage.

the rods are from the early seventies .

Christian , thanks for posting again . Now i,m looking for the ''Dague"
regards 
Dries

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:12 am • #  
Administrator

Hi guys:

Thanks much for the further information Christian and Dries!!  Wow, very different looking rods with totally different tip top and butt caps!  I presume that the butt cap is fashioned as such to hold the top rod section in place during transport to protect it from damage.  Why are these so fragile, Dries?  The Conolon's that I have can really take a beating and still bend in half without breaking!

Regards,

Wayne

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:43 am • #  
Global Moderator

Hi Wayne ,

The rod is only 1 piece with a separate short handle, if transported in a rod-sock ,the rod could bend/break if picked up on the wrong side  so the wood prevents that.
I've done some fishing with it ..and yes ..it can take some beating fighting a good size fish .

regards 

Dries

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:47 am • #  

Hello
 On the advertising of 1957 for rods Mitchell Companion there are two logos Narmco on the one, ' Apache ' on other one.
 Can anybody give me an explanation?
 Thank you beforehand.
Best regards
 Christian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:01 am • #  
Administrator

Hi Dries:

Thanks for the further explanation as I understand why the extra protection now.

Regards,

Wayne

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:15 am • #  
Global Moderator

Hi Christian,

Looking at this picture it makes me more confused .
Maybe Narmco technology was sold to France
and  these rods were made under licence ?????????
Only a guess .

regards  Dries

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:44 pm • #  
Administrator

Hi, Christian and Dries:

I'm not sure, but my guess would be that they were made in Wisconsin by the Chippewa tribe.  Pure speculation (ha)! 

Regards,

Wayne

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:15 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hello Mates,  I am back from fishing. 7 stripers brought to the beach.  Only 1 keeper. about 37" or 38" long.   I was going thru the closed auctions on EBAY,  I would like someone to comment on the Mitch Forrester rod.  Was this a custom version,  or is this simular to a Kingfisher style. for UL's  ANybody know who mitch Forrester was?  Sorry for not being around, I am trying to catch up on all the posts.  I hope everybody is well.  Regards,  Scott

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:13 am • #  
Administrator

Hi Scott,

Welcome back home! Sounds like the stripers were schooling. I can't help with your question but appreciate the tie with Kingfisher early years. Sounds to me like you're on the right track.

Best Regards, Wallace

Like Using This Site? Please Support Us By Clicking The Link Below

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:44 am • #  

Hi,
Attached is a picture of a sign (made of hard/thick plastic says "Made in France")
that I recently found in an old Belgian fishing store.
I advertizes the three ranges of Mitchell Conolon rods (=hengels in Dutch) :
Alpha,  Special  and Expert range as distributed by ARCA.
Please note the SPECIAL-logo, it's the same as on some of the (european) Mitchell spinning reels !
In the USA the little red logo was usually Garcia, where the Euro-versions
often have the Special logo, comes in the same range as the Conolon Special.
Did they also have these 3 ranges (Alpha-Special-Expert)  in the USA ?
The other Dutch words mean : unbreakeble/flexible and magnificent series
Jean-Paul

Last edited by snoekjager on Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:32 pm • #  

hi jean-paul,nice hearing from you.a great looking sign.none of thoes model names were available in the U.S.A.i believe european issue only.there were so many different model names that were available here i wouldnt have room for all of them. i do think the european distrubition of the rods was well done,i love the sleeves that came with the rods.
                                                                                                              doug 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:37 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hi   Doug,

The European vintage tackle show in Eindhoven is next week , I hope to find a sleeve for you .

regards,  Dries

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:50 pm • #  

I have a Garcia Conolon live fiber B460 rod and would like to find out more about it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:30 am • #  

I was looking for any information regarding this French fly/spinning(?) rod. It has three separate labels:

Mitchell Companion Fiberglas Spinning Rod
Conolon Live Fiber
Fly-Shoot 8 1/2 ft. Made in France

The rod has screw type ferrules, a ceramic stripping guide, and a screw in butt end. Perhaps it originally had an additional butt end that was longer causing it to be a workable spinning rod.

Thank you for your help!

Joel

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:13 pm • #  
Administrator

Hi Joel, Welcome to our group :tup

That a very unique rod you have there. I'm sure one of our Conolon gurus can help. I'm looking forward to their replies.

Regards, Wallace

Like Using This Site? Please Support Us By Clicking The Link Below

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:06 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hi Joel and Wallace,

I wish that Dries could help with this one. I will give you my best guess based on the rod label. 1st the rod has an early fish label from Narmco. 2nd it has a Mitchell Companion label. That tells me it was a rod made by Narmco for Mitchell most likely for export. Narmco manufactured rod blanks for Mitchell, they placed labels on them. The fun part is the threaded rod abuttment. This dates the rod to earlier than 1957 I believe. I have a very early Mitchell Companion UL rod that dates to about 1953-54 that has a square or flat male rod abbuttment. They are very difficult to insert into the female section. I believe that later versions such as the rod we are discussing had rounded male rod abuttments that were easier to insert. Now for the grey areas, alot of overlap hear because so many things happening so fast to keep up with customer changing demands.
Your rod really is a fly rod, but has the ability to take a spinning reel. By time rod manufacturing was 3 years later rods were slide rings on the cork to take either a fly reel or a spinning reel. Within two more years the learnings from reel seats for bait casters and fly rods were adapted to create a threaded spinning reel seat. Alot of old time fly fishermen held strong to easy on and easy off for their reels so slide rings stayed around until they were used for the birth of the ultra light spinning reel and rod combo. the fishing world was changed forever. Joel your rod is a wonderful find and a great addition to your collection. Pretty Darn Cool! Thanks for sharing and welcome to the group! I hope you enjoy the site.

Regards, Scott

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:17 pm • #  

Thank you for your assistance. Due to curiosity I used the rod for fly fishing and found it to have a soft tip which aids setting down a gentle fly, and yet with a powerful butt to help bring in the big boys. The threaded rod abuttment works smoothly and it is secure. It adds to the rod's weight but not enough to negatively affect the cast. In fact, with a balanced reel, it casts a 6-7 weight line very admirably.

Here are more pictures to show the threaded butt end and the agate(?) stripper guide.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:11 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hi Standman,

I am glad you have fished this rod. It looks to be a very cool rod.
I hope you land many a good catch. Cheers! Thanks for sharing with us.

Regards, Scott

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:10 pm • #  

Hi ... I am new to this forum and if I have made any mistakes in my querry please forgive me. I recently acquired a Mitchell Conolon Rod from a friend of mine. It is in vg condition [for it's age] and I wonder if anybody could offer some advice/information regarding it's history?

It is a Mitchell Conolon Spinning Rod model: 133 A1.It is an attractive maroon and white with gold whipping. It has a cork handle and comes with the original Mitchell sock.

It is a two piece rod and was purchased in the early 1970's from a fishing tackle shop in Iran. Apparently, the original owner was working in this country for an American oil company during this time.

Can anybody please give me some advice about this rod? I cannot find anything on the internet. Is it a good rod? What would be the best Mitchell reel suited to this rod of the same period? I thought a Mitchell 308 might go well with it?

I would appreciate any advice regarding the quality and actual age of this rod. Thank you.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:18 am • #  
Global Moderator

Hello Harveysh,

Welcome to the group! Nice rod mate. It is pretty cool that you picked up in IRAN. It is a european issue rod to go with a reel as a combo. Dries or Christian will have more detailed description on the rod. Hope this helps

Regards, Scott

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next   Page 4 of 5   [ 131 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply