Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next   Page 3 of 5   [ 131 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:24 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hey Christian, Wayne, Wallace, Dries, 

Great provenance on the fly rod Wallace!  Christian I am way over my head when I hear fly rods being mentioned.  That being said that really is a gorgeous rod and a great find..  Wayne Thanks for the the sharpshooter info.  I do know of a Mitchell conolon only spinning rod that was offered to me.  Maybe I can find the e-mail and make an offer.  Regards,  Scott

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:54 pm • #  
Administrator

Hi Scott:

If you look at the old rod ads that Wallace has placed on the museum website, you will see that in some of the early 1950's ads, Garcia is advertising Mitchell Conolon rods, not Garcia Conolon rods.  Very peculiar!  Possibly a relationship building move?

Best regards,

Wayne

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:21 am • #  
Global Moderator

Hey Wayne, 

Until just recently I was always under the impression that Mitchell rods came later when Garcia went under and Mitchell tried to carry on.  It seems that after sharpshooter, Mitchell conolon came in, then switched to garcia conolon and then rolled out companion series.    Is that a correct assumption?  Regards   Scott

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:58 am • #  
Global Moderator

hi Scott,

Mitchell made a special series of Conolon portable spinning rods for the European and  maybe for the U.S  market .
I think those rods are rare , only a few times offered on Ebay, even a special catalog was made for the portable rods.
unfortunately I can't find any information about these rods ,maybe you can help me

regards  Dries

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:01 am • #  

Hello,
I thank you for the answers.
I look for on the monthly halieutic books if I have information on rods Conolon made in the USA made for the French market
Dries, if I understood well what you say on rods"portable" (not sure, sorry!), it is said rods "suitcase – valise in french" that were made in several pieces to facilitate the transport.
If it is good these rods, they are on the catalog Mitchell 1971-1972 in page 33:
131 G1: 1.60 m - 3 pieces
131 H1: 1.75m in 5 pieces
231H1: 1.75 m in 5 pieces (DUAL)
If it is what you look for, I can post a scan of this catalog if you wish it.
Best regards,
Christian.
PS: the rod Charles C. Ritz was bought on a secondhand trade by my wife three years ago in birthday present for my 61 years. Very beautiful present

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:44 am • #  
Global Moderator

Hi Christian ,

Thanks for your reply , The rods you mentioned are the ones !!!
If you can scan them ,it would be great to show on this forum .
thanks in advance.

regards  Dries

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:41 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hey Dries, Christian and Wayne,  Well I guess I am plum out of Luck..  I went back thru my old e-mail looking for that rod.  I found it it actually was a Garcia Mitchell Conolon on the label which is I believe after the garcia Conolon runs.  I was hoping it might have been from the browning years.  Need to due more looking I guess.  Thanks Christian ahead of time when youpost those rod photo's  Regards,  Scott

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:38 pm • #  

Hello,
Below the scan of the catalog 1971-1972
Best regards
Christian

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:41 am • #  
Global Moderator

hi  Christian,

Thanks for posting these ''very special ''rods.

regards ,  dries

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:01 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hey Christian,  Wow! Wow ! Wow!,  Thanks for the great rods post.  Hopefully you have some rods to go with the 71-72 catalog.  I would love for you to add any missing rods to my data base.  If you will send me a private e-mail with your emails address I will send you the XL spreadsheet.  Thanks again for the super post.   Scott 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:28 am • #  

Hello Scott,
Regrettably I possess none of these rods Special.
I have some Mitchell Conolon Made in France, but they are classic rods of the 1970s - 1980.
I can, if it interests you, make the list of all the rods in Conolon, with them characteristics, which are on my catalogs Mitchell and C.A.P. (More former).
I give you my personal address email.
Best regards,
Christian
PS: the rod Charles C Ritz is on the catalog Mitchell 1973 but without detail.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:15 am • #  

Hello,

Below the photos of a rod made in 1957 in France by Mitchell. This rod was never used but the rubber badly aged.

It is a rod EPÉE 8 - 20 g MADE IN FRANCE with decals "Mitchell Companion Fiberglas Spinning Rod" and “Conolon Live Fiber ".

An example of the production Mitchell for the French market

I hope that this information is useful.

Best regards
Image,

Christian

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:43 am • #  
Administrator

Hello Christian,

Very Nice!!! Thanks again for sharing...

Cheers!
Wallace

Like Using This Site? Please Support Us By Clicking The Link Below

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:45 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hey Christian,  Very nice rod.  You will need to keep the rubber end away from sunlight.  Looks like ultra violet degradation of the rubber.  Regards  Scott

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:11 am • #  
Administrator

Hi, Mates:

Very nice rod and advertising, Christian!!  Scott, I have taken a few pictures each of the Missilite, Airflight, and Sharpshooter rods made by Narmco.  I have also added a Royal Javelin made by Garcia to show rod quality.  I am not sure of the dates of release for the Narmco rods as previously stated, because the Sharpshooters have just plain cork with rod rings and the Missilite and Airflight have aluminum reel seat and an aluminum support plate with rings, respectively.  It would seem to me that the reinforced reel seats would have been an upgrade to the cork with rings arrangement, but I do not know.

Here are some pictures:

This is a Missilite, but a special custom rod called the Royal Javelin.  It has it's own unique serial number.  Note the "Conolon" designation.

This is an Airflight, note the "Conolon" and "Live Fiber" designations.
ImageImageImage

Next is the Sharpshooter.  This rod has continuous wound wire guides instead of welded guides.  Again, note the "Conolon" and "Live Fiber" designations.
ImageImageImage

The last is a Garcia Conolon Royal Javelin custom rod with unique serial number.  There is no "Conolon" designation on this rod.
ImageImageImage

Hope you enjoyed the pictures, Mates!  Have a great weekend!

Best regards,

Wayne

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:30 am • #  

Hello,
A precision on the photos of the rod Companion. I read again my assertions and I believe that these can be badly understood (always my problem of machine translation modified by my linguistic memories of my student period - 45 years ago!!)
I confirm that the catalog is of 1957, but the rod is later by that time, certain characteristics are more recent.
I shall post very soon the photos of a rod of the same type answering all the criteria described in the catalog 1957 (ligatures, cloth cover): the details of the manufacturing justify the publicity " Technical Perfection " which appeared later.
Best regards,
Christian

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:11 am • #  
Administrator

Hi Christian,

Thank you for all the work to show these. It is very interesting information...

Hi Wayne,

What a great collection mate! I'm impressed!!!

I can not contribute much but will say a lot of information can be seen/compiled from Old NARMCO/Conolon Advertising in the Mitchell Museum website.

Cheers,
Wallace

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:43 pm • #  
Administrator

Hi Wallace and Mates:

I guess the whole purpose in showing the rods and their labels was to get back to the original question of "why did Garcia use the Live Fiber designation and old Narmco fish label on a short run of rods and why after Garcia had not used the "Live Fiber" designation for years since purchasing Narmco.  The rods I show are all Narmco, except for the one custom Garcia rod.  All of the Narmco rods have the "Conolon" and "Live Fiber" designations.  The quality of construction and appearance of the older Narmco rods is better in my opinion than the much more recent Garcia "Live Fiber" rods.  All of the Narmco rods have better windings and overall appearance.  They also have hook keepers, which the Garcia "Live Fiber" rods do not.

Based on what I see so far, my guess would be that Garcia created a cheaper rod line, some of which were made for the forked-foot reel (in my opinion to keep the price down on the combination), and used the name and logo recognition synonomous with Narmco to help sell these rods.  Perhaps, as well, Garcia had an existing inventory of old "Live Fiber" blanks from Narmco that they wanted to use up.  All other opinions are welcome, as this is just my hunch for now. 

Best regards,

Wayne

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:48 am • #  
Global Moderator

Hello group,

here some early seventies Mitchell /Albatros conolon rods,  Alpha ,Special and Expert series

Regards,  Dries

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:15 am • #  
Global Moderator

Hello Dries,  They are absolutley marvelous looking.  I am absolutlyey jealous.  OK between you and Christian and Wayne and the rods you have put up on the list, I am tipping my hat to say a job well done.  To this group of people I hope that my Rod spreadsheet is helpful.  I am hoping that we fill in the gaps now by having some additions to the list.  If the spreadsheet is difficult to use just send me your rod data and I will add it in.  Thanks Doug for your 10+ additions.  Regards  Scott

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:50 am • #  

hi dries,just looked at your rods, great collection.as i said before no wonder i dont have
very many you have them all.best wishes  doug

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:41 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hey Doug,  I totally agree and feel the same.  It is like no wonder I cannot find key rods.  They all are with Dries.  Again Dries they are amazing and the quality are super.   Regards,  Scott

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:16 pm • #  
Administrator

Hi Dries:

Very nice looking rods!!  Are those hook keepers on the right edge of the pictures?  If so, they look different than the very thin double-looped one's that I'm used to seeing on the Garcia rods.

Best regards,

Wayne

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:02 am • #  
Global Moderator

helloWayne ,Doug and Scott.

Thanks for the compliments.
I only have a few rods so there are some left !

Wayne, :all the rods shown have hook keepers.

Here a picture of the ultralight  Mitchell/Albatros Conolon 141-C2  1.30 m (4 ft 3#) with plastic rod tubeImageImage
regards  Dries

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:20 am • #  
Administrator

Hello Mates,

Between Christian and Dries all I can say is WOW!

Dries, On the "Expert" you said it was an Albatros but I don't see their logo/name. Is it somewhere else on the rod or am I blind?

Cheers!
Wallace

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:27 am • #  
Global Moderator

hi Wallace,

The Albatros logo is written on the other side of the rod and is shown on the previous ( Albatros)  picture .
It's the top one .

Cheers   Dries

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:38 am • #  
Administrator

Hi Dries,

Understand now, sorry Image

Cheers,
Wallace

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:44 am • #  

Hello,

Below the photo of the rod which corresponds to the catalog 1957.

It is a rod of the series "Fleuret", the heel green rubber, N° 998, 4/10 grams

1: Ligatures blacks with a parts of the color of the series

2: Black cover with color stitching allowing to identify the contained rod. Badge golden "Mitchell" on a black background.

Dries, very beautiful photo into series Albatross, to complete, I shall soon put in photo my rod of the series "Alpha", "Special" and "Expert" and other with their cover.

Best regards

Christian

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:02 am • #  
Global Moderator

Hello Christian,

Very nice pictures ! I,m still looking for the ultra light version of this companion rod .

regards  

Dries

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:20 pm • #  
Global Moderator

To state the obvoius and follow-up on Wallace's remarks.  Dries can I be added to your will for this rod?  Wow Wow Wow!  That has to be one of the most fantastic photo's I have seen in a long time.  I would love to see some close-ups.  The Mona-Lisa takes second fiddle to that rod.  Thanks for sharing !  I have I thought done well when it came to UL rods collected until now.   Regards Scott

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next   Page 3 of 5   [ 131 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply