Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5   Page 5 of 5   [ 132 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:29 pm • #  

Hi Scott,

Many thanks for your comments. As I said previously the rod dates from the early 1970's - but could have been manufactured earlier depending on how quickly Mitchell rods left the shelves of Iranian fishing tackle dealers? It would be great if Dries or Christian could give me more information on this particular model.

The rod appears to have been made in France according to the label. I assume that the Conolon rod blank was shipped to this country by Garcia/NARMCO and then finished by Mitchell?

Certainly the standard of finish is far superior to the build and finish quality of most rods today. However, I would be grateful for any advice on which Mitchell reel to pair with this rod - I thought a Mitchell 308 might be the best choice but perhaps this reel is a little too light?

All comments welcome - Regards, Harvey.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:09 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hey Harvey,

Yes the blanks were sent to France and labeled for european use and in metric system. Cheers

Regards, Scott

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:39 pm • #  

Hi Scott,

Thanks for that information. These early Mitchell Conolon rods seem to be quite rare and any information about them is really fantastic. However, could you possibly recommend a Mitchell reel to go with the rod from around the same period? I have an early Mitchell 308, a Mitchell 300 a 410 and an ARCA 320. Would any of these be suitable or is it another trip to Ebay?

Like most on this forum I started fishing as a young schoolboy. In my case on the Bridgewater Canal in Eccles near Manchester, England for Perch and Roach. with the odd 'Jack' Pike for added excitement.

In those days I could only afford a cheap K.P. Morritts Intrepid spinning reel and a 13ft Sealey fibreglass rod.Yet the memories of those days nearly fifty years ago still bring a smile to my face.

What halcyon days! - Regards Harvey.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:40 pm • #  

Hello All,

I think my next step will be to get some period rods for my 410, 408, and 300C.

Did the mentioned article ever get posted?

Thanks

Biscuit
300C / 410 / 408

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:37 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hello Biscuit5050,

AH HA ! you finally made it to rods. A couple things you probably already know but worth repeating. Your 300C is a standard 300 with roller bearings, a 410 is a 400 with roller bearings. The 400 and 410 are high speed 300's. The 408 is a high speed UL reel. To me rod selection is very important, for the 408 I like 5' and 5'6" UL rods. Models such as the 2500 series. I use 4lb test on my reel, 5; rods usually suggest 2-6 lb test. the reel seat on the 2500 series are slide rings over cork. For a 5'6" the B-501 is really a nice rod. 2-6 lb test is suggested, it is a very light action rod. the reel seat is a threaded fitting. The 300C, 400 and 410 suggest 4-10 lb test to spool. For lake fishing in a boat a 6' or 6'6" light action rod is darn good, If you are in a stream with fast water you might want a 6'6" medium action rod. Fishing from a bank on a lake you could use even a light-medium action 7' rod. A lot more models to choose from when you get into light and medium action rods. If you give me an idea of the type of fishing you want to do I can make better narrower selection of models to help you out. The fun is just beginning. Cheers

Regards, Scott

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:00 pm • #  

Scott,

Yes, finally made it to rods. Thanks for the additional info on the reels. I had been able to put together most of the info but wasn't clear on the fact that the 410, 400, and 300 are all same size. Up till your post I thought the 410 was smaller than the 300/ 400.

I will post fishing types soon

Biscuit

Biscuit
300C / 410 / 408

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:25 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hi Biscuit5050,

I think you made an oops! In you earlier note you mentioned the 300C, 410 and 408. You remarked in the last note that you thought the 410 was smaller, I think you were thinking the 408? Cheers! :tup

Regards, Scott

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:55 am • #  

Scott,

No oops in my earlier post.

I was aware:
1. The 408 was the high-speed ultra-light
2. The 300C is a roller bearing version of the standard size 300
3. The 400 is high-speed version of 300.

What I didn't know was that the 410 is a roller bearing version of the 400. I thought it was just a size between the 410 and the 400. I thought all 4** series would have roller bearings. I hope the 408 has them. So much to learn. It makes more sense that many parts are offered as fitting the 300, 400, and 410. A duh-huh moment.

Back to rods

Presently I fish:
1. Exclusively from the shore.
2. Small Ponds/ Fast Moving Rivers/ Mountain Lakes/ Large Reservoirs
3. Rainbow Trout/ Small Mouth and Large Mouth Bass/ Crappies

Reel to Rod Thoughts:
408 = 5' - 6' Ultra Light for 1/32 - 1/8oz spinners and flies with water bobber and dough bait for panfish and stocker rainbows. Will have spools for 2, 4, and 6# line

410 = 6' - 7' Light Action for 1/8 - 1/4 oz spinners for river and lake rainbows, brook trout, small and large mouth bass, and jigging from fishing dock for crappies. Will have spools for 6 and 10# line

300C = 6 1/2' - 7 1/2' Light Medium or Medium Action for reservoir and weedy ponds for Bottom Lures, rubber night crawlers and heavier poppers, flat fish, and other crank baits for large mouth bass. Will have spools for 10# and 12# line.

Your thoughts and suggestions for rod selection greatly appreciated as well as any thoughts on my plan of use.

Thought you would appreciate knowing I am going to put these together for my son to start using. I hope they become a family heirloom. I know they will last.

Biscuit
300C / 410 / 408

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 8:54 pm • #  

Thanks to everyone for all the great information on this forum!

I have a number of not-labeled-Garcia Conolon rods and was happy to see the 1952 Price List that Warren posted back in 2009.

Here's what I am trying to clear up. One rod is a 6105 Teeny-Tiny, the other a 6006 casting rod. They are brown color and "live fiber." According to the 1952 price list, however, they are both supposed to be Metallic Blue, and the 6006 is listed as a spinning rod.

I suppose there was a different numbering scheme at one time. Can anyone shed light on this for me?

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:57 pm • #  
Global Moderator

Hi Charlie.

Welcome to the group. Great question. A couple of clarifications. The Narmco Corporation was the supplier of rod blanks prior to 1960. Blanks and rods were sold and distributed all over the world, including Mitchell in France. Garcia Corporation bought the Conolon trademark rod division from Narmco in 1960. You can view the Narmco catalog in earlier threads which I think you have done earlier. Before 1960 blanks bought by Garcia from Narmco would have been labeled Garcia Companion, blanks sold by Mitchell would have had a Mitchell Companion label. After 1960 rods were defined as Garcia Conolon or Mitchell Conolon if distributed in France. There is a lot of overlap between the old and new stock being distributed as for your Teeney Tiny rod, that rod blank as sold to Klein's tackle store which was part of the larger department store. The Teeney Tiny is part of the Royal Javelin rod line that Klein had an exclusive for distribution. Model #'s changed numerous time during these transitions. Hope this helps.

Regards, Scott

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:40 pm • #  

This is an old thread, but I'll bump it up with some new posts.

I'm a new member here, originally looking for advice and help on a newly acquired Mitchell 302.

I have a couple relevant fishing rods, including a Conolon 5-Star spinning rod, and an Abu Garcia Royal Graphite Ultralight. I'm awaiting receipt of a 12-foot Conolon 5-Star surf rod to use with the 302. I paid pretty stiff money, but surf rods do tend to be more expensive. This one is pretty fancy with a Varmac reel seat which I know from my rod building experience was top notch in its day. From the pictures, it looks almost unused, with the original inspection sticker intact.

I'll post pictures of all when the surf rod comes this week.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:02 pm • #  

I recently picked up a 2450 Conolon Garcia. 5 1/2'. It is a light action I believe. Seems pretty nice, especially for $20.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5   Page 5 of 5   [ 132 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply