Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:30 pm • #  

Hey Mates,

First it should be mentioned that back in 2009, Tim Barton had posted an excellent history of Narmco on the MRM Forum:
NARMCO timeline

I thought it might be useful to post some content that would help in: dating Narmco Conolon rods; noting any changes possibly relevant to Garcia-distributed Conolon rods; and presenting possibly interesting Narmco history.

I’ll start with some press. A very early mention of Conolon in the San Bernardino Sun, June 6, 1946.

Next, an article on the newly developed Missilite in the San Bernardino Sun, July 27, 1957. Missilite was used for water skis, archery bows, and fishing rods. I include an ad excerpt from Field & Stream, April, 1958 on Missilite rods. Missilite involved a new manufacturing process with fiberglass of a different weave and resins. I have not been able to find that “Missilite” was trademarked.

John
Attachment:
460606 San_Bernardino_Sun p19 Conolon s.png

Attachment:
570727 San_Bernardino_Sun p22 missilite s.png

Attachment:
5804 F&S NARMCO Missilite 006 e.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:36 pm • #  

Now, trademark documents. What I find most useful is the date of first use in commerce which required sale or transport to be documented to USPTO (advertising does not count towards this). Below is a list of marks with dates of first use in commerce.

Conolon: March, 1947
Live Fiber: February, 1948
Garcia Conolon Live Fiber: August, 1973
Attachment:
Conolon trademark US0537090 s.jpg

Attachment:
Live Fiber trademark US0517012 s.jpg

Attachment:
Garcia_Conolon_live_fiber mark US1061772 s.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:42 pm • #  

Then, addresses. Conolon had 2 Costa Mesa, CA addresses. The first being 600 Victoria Street and the second being 636 West 17th Street.

I read one blog that said the move to Victoria St occurred in 1951. I have seen a 1951 ad with that address (many ad’s did not include the street and number). I show a Sports Afield ad from April, 1952 with Victoria St. I also show an August, 1956 trade magazine ad with that address (I apologize for the sexist part – I hope no one takes offense).

In regard to when the move to West 17th St occurred, I’ve read some different accounts. I think 1957/58 is likely. Does anyone have documentation?
Attachment:
5204 SA NARMCO Conolon 088 s.png

Attachment:
5204 SA NARMCO Conolon 088 e.png

Attachment:
5608 Narmco Tackle_Show s.jpg

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:10 pm • #  

Hi John,
Very nice Conolon Historical Info. Thanks for sharing.
Best regards, Dennis2149

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:15 am • #  

Hey Dennis2149,

Thank you for your comment.

Hey Mates,

I found another registered trademark:

Conolock: “First use June 1957 on fishing rods.”

Conolock is a type of finish. At one point, Conolon used it in the naming of its colors, e.g. "Conolock Blue".

Oddly, I could not find/download a Conolock trademark registration document from USPTO using the same procedures as I had for the other Conolon marks posted above. Even when I learned the registration number, USPTO still did not have any info/document available. I turned to the Internet Archive that has U.S. Patent Office Official Gazettes online. (Still nothing as to whether Missilite was registered as a trademark.)

John
Attachment:
Conolock trademark US0681427.png

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:22 am • #  

Hey Mates,

I found 2 more Narmco registered trademarks:

Teeny Tiny: “For fishing rods. First use June 27, 1956”
Missilite: "First use in June, 1957 on fishing rods."

Teeny Tiny was a name applied to Conolon's shortest flyrod and shortest spinning rod. Missilite has been mentioned above in the thread.

I could find neither of these marks at USPTO or the Internet Archive. However, the Hathi Trust had the corresponding U.S. Patent Office Official Gazettes online.

John
Attachment:
Teeny_Tiny trademark US0649637.jpg

Attachment:
Missilite trademark US0672449.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:41 pm • #  

Hi John,
Your researching skills are impressive. Thanks for sharing.
Kind regards, Dennis2149

Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply