Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 7:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:58 pm • #  

:sSig_lol: Hello, I was showing some of my rods to a friend and we noticed that the bottom is open and hollow all the way up through the handle, It does not have the end with a G on it.
Is it just missing or was it made this way for a special purpose.
other tan a little discoration on a bit of the cork the reel is in great condition, like new. It is a garcia conolon B542-A 3 piece rod. I would show some pictures but I tried to upload and it said it happened but I do not see anything when I preview the post Thanks, Syd

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:49 am • #  

HI Syd. The open hole could be that the piece can be switch around to make your pole from a spin rod to a fly rod.
Kim :sCh_fisherman:

Also under 800 pixels and you cannot view what you are posting (pictures) until after you post and the page comes up.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:45 pm • #  

Thanks, I guess I have to learn how to make them smaller. I checked it and yes it does pull apart to switch it to a fly rod, but I guess I am missing a section because if I turn it around the bottom of the rod is too small to hold in the but section.

I do not fly fish so that will not be a problem.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:48 pm • #  

Syd,
Finally able to check my catalogs. From Garcia 1972 Tackle your pole is listed as a 4 piece rod. Fly or Spin. Aluminum tube with black plastic top held by chain. Commonly known a pack rod. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:07 pm • #  

Thank you, So being that I am missing one section and the case, I now have a real nice spinning rod, which works out well as I only do lake fishing.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:36 pm • #  

Hey Syd and Kim,

Very interesting ... but, confusing.

:sCo_uhm: Okay, flipping the handle changes the reel mount position for fly or spinning reel, but not rod length. The spinning rod configuration is 10" shorter than the fly rod.

Syd,

Which rod section are you missing from the catalog image I highlighted below? A or B?
:sSig_thankyou: (in advance)

John
Attachment:
7200 Garcia Annual 041a B542 excerpt.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:06 pm • #  

Hi Syd,

Here's my B542C 4 piece fly/spin rod with the original tube and rod sock. I'm not sure why the rod tube cap has a bunch of holes drilled in it :eek
Attachment:
B542C.jpg

Attachment:
B542C 1.jpg

Attachment:
B542C 2.jpg

I'm not sure what the difference is between your B542"A" and my B542"C" but they should be pretty much the same rod

Best Regards,
Chris

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:16 pm • #  

Hey Chris,

Doesn't it look like your rod is missing what I highlighted as section "B" in the catalog photo (above in thread)? This would result in a rod shorter than fly rod length.

Is it missing what is needed for fly rod configuration?

John

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:34 pm • #  

Hi John,

My rod is slightly different. You use all (3) of the sections of rod and depending on which end of the handle (4th section) you plug the assembled rod into gives you the Fly or Spinning rod configuration (location of the reel). The rod will be the same length in either configuration.

Best Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:01 pm • #  

Chris,

May I respectfully submit for your reconsideration some information (I hate for a friend to be misinformed)?

The Garcia Catalog content above states:
B542-
7½’ dry-fly action or
6’8” light spinning action

What’s stated on your tube cap? “7½’ dry fly,” yes?

Have you measured the length of your rod assembled? The 2 configurations are not intended to be of equal length – as you propose. I am going to guess your assembled rod is 6’8” = the spinning configuration. And therefore, that you are missing the piece to achieve the length of the fly rod configuration.

Warm regards,

John

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:50 pm • #  

Hi John,

Great observation :tup . I never measured the rod and went with: 4 pockets in the sock + 4 rod pieces = complete rod. You are absolutely correct that this rod is missing an intermediate piece right at the handle. The lower section of my rod has the Garcia decal on it so I never considered an additional piece to make it a fly rod........Well that's not going to be an easy piece to find :sFun_rofl: :sAng_banghead2: :sFun_rofl: . So apparently like Syd, these rods must have been purchased by a couple of spin fisherman and they didn't care about that small section of rod :sCh_fisherman: although my rod fits in either end of the handle for a fly or spin configuration. Thank you once again, for great research and astute observation.

Kind Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:21 am • #  

Yes the short section is also what I am missing on mine. Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:43 am • #  

Good eye there John. I saw the same thing in my catalog dated 1972. That model disappears in 1974 when they released 3 more pack rods setups. Chris the difference between B and C designation is the line size and stiffness. Yours is 4-8 lb and Syd's I would guess 2-6 lb. The holes were probably drilled in the cap to help dry out the rod so not to destroy the sock allowing air circulation.

Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply