Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Sun May 20, 2018 11:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:30 am • #  

I'm a new member and need some advise. I have a 2506A 7' Med/Heavy action two piece rod that has a minor blemish. I'm concerned about the rod possibly breaking.

It's in excellent condition except for a bit of rash about 30" down from the tip (between the 4th and 5th guide). It appears to be a spot about an inch long that's had a little of the finish/paint rubbed off with a smaller spot (1/4") that looks like the it's almost down to the glass. It appears to have a fast taper so the majority of the stress looks to be well above the rash. You might not even notice it if it wasn't for the fact that the rest of the rod finish is in excellent condition.

I intend to use this for light surf/pier fishing where fish are generally under 10lbs and more in the 2-7lb range (drum, flounder, small stripers). Again, I'm not sure if I should look at having this repaired (assuming it's repairable and/or affordable) or should I be OK to fish it as-is in view of the smaller fish I'm going after.

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:22 pm • #  

As long as there are no fiberglass "threads" that seem to be coming apart, it is probably cosmetic...A bit of clear nail polish should protect the fiberglass...

Reely

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:47 pm • #  

Fish with it and tell us how the fishing was. If you are really concerned you can apply clear nail polish to the rod. You will always see the difference but there really is no difference in it's ability to fish with. If you could see what I take to the salt water and the fish they haul from the water you wouldn't worry about that minor blemish............
Kim :sCh_fisherman: :tup

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:09 pm • #  

Yep...Clear nail polish will take care of any blemish (mind you, "Blemish") in light coats on any fiberglass rod.

Regards,
Chris

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:53 pm • #  

All,

Thanks for the input - glad to hear it won't have to be a wall decoration ant time soon.

Picesman: I actually fished with it last December at the Outer Banks and caught nice red drum from shore fishing in front of the breakers. Very satisfying moment.

Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply