Mitchel Reel Musem - Mitchel Mates Discussion Group

Mitchell Reel Museum Discussion Group

If you are looking to collect, buy, repair, service, learn, ask questions or go fishing with a vintage Mitchell Fishing Reel, you are at the right place! We are just Mitchell Reel collectors and enthusiast who enjoy an open discussion forum on "vintage" Mitchell Fishing Reels. Please Click Here to learn how to make a post and ask about Mitchell reel service or repairs, get advice on buying or collecting, or any other question in this free public forum.

"Click Here to Find Vintage Mitchell Reels For Sale Worldwide"

It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply
 Post subject: I found an old friend!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:14 pm • #  

Today here in Wisconsin, I was out and about, had to buy some dog food, and groceries, but in between both stops I stopped at a little thrift shop I spotted.

With a quick browse, and in the back I came across a rod rack with some rods, and some cheapo rod-reel combos, there it was!

A mint condition Garcia-Conolon #2508A 6.5' Light Action-Fast Taper Spinning rod! Price, $9.00 plus tax!

I had this exact same model Rod as a kid of 16 (I'm now 62), that has to be 1969-1970, and of course then fitted with a Mitchell 300.

I had that Rod for decades, then sadly snapped 6" off the tip while it was in transport from Chicago to New Mexico in 2003 and it hit the trash can, and with a tear appearing.

I got the perfect reel for it, a very clean Mitchell 308. Will be a great Panfish Combo!

This great find has really tickled me, I've again found my old friend!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:29 pm • #  

The one thing I forgot to mention, that original #2508 Rod I had was also bought here in Sheboygan, Wisconsin when I was a kid, and I lived here back in those days.

Amazing to somehow come full circle with this fine 4 Star Conolon Fishing Rod.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:32 pm • #  

Fantastic Find!!! I fish with a Garcia conolon 2508 rod like Yours and the Mitchell 301 reel because I'm a right hand cranker. Your rod will handle anything from panfish up to 21 inch and then some walleye and trout. When you get those bigger fish to the boat you really appreciate the quality of a really really good rod. When they make their last ditch effort to dive by the boat the rod you have means dinner or a sad story. Congratulations again. That rod was around $30 brand new. In the shape you describe $50 hands down more or less if you have a bidding war.
Kim :sSig_goodjob2: :sCh_fisherman:

Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
New Topic Add Reply